Middlegame.
2020-02-13 04:57:06 UTC
Thanks to David Goldfarb and others who recommended this last July.
I loved it.
Even though I generally dislike horror, I was wrapped up in the tension
and suspense whilst being distracted with the hard science of Alchemy.
The characters were fascinating highlighting the contrast of the
ruthless pragmatic zealots and their gifted but naive "prey".
The plot and structure were brilliant; there was a brief time mid-book
when I wondered if she was too verbose but on reflection, perhaps a lull
in suspense was necessary. From Fantastic Fiction I read that a hard
cover version of the fictional children's books referenced in Middlegame
as Baker's early childhood influence on the public will be published in
October this year.
It may be obvious and I haven't searched elsewhere but don't know why
she called it Middlegame.
For some years I have had an unread book by Seanan McGuire, Parasite
under the name of Mira Grant. Perhaps it should be read?
h***@gmail.com
2020-02-13 05:19:43 UTC
Post by Titus G
Thanks to David Goldfarb and others who recommended this last July.
I loved it.
Even though I generally dislike horror, I was wrapped up in the tension
and suspense whilst being distracted with the hard science of Alchemy.
The characters were fascinating highlighting the contrast of the
ruthless pragmatic zealots and their gifted but naive "prey".
The plot and structure were brilliant; there was a brief time mid-book
when I wondered if she was too verbose but on reflection, perhaps a lull
in suspense was necessary. From Fantastic Fiction I read that a hard
cover version of the fictional children's books referenced in Middlegame
as Baker's early childhood influence on the public will be published in
October this year.
It may be obvious and I haven't searched elsewhere but don't know why
she called it Middlegame.
Because it's a fair way after the opening but most of it is well before the endgame.
Post by Titus G
For some years I have had an unread book by Seanan McGuire, Parasite
under the name of Mira Grant. Perhaps it should be read?
I'd say give parasite a read but don't expect it to be the same as Middlegame.
I quite enjoyed Parasite but I've generally enjoyed everything of Seanan's that I've read (with slight disclaimers on books 2 & 3 of the Feed trilogy)