"Masters of Doom: How Two Guys Created an Empire and Transformed Pop Culture" by David Kushner
Don
2021-09-08 22:14:33 UTC
"Masters of Doom: How Two Guys Created an Empire and Transformed Pop
Culture" by David Kushner
https://www.amazon.com/Masters-Doom-Created-Transformed-Culture/dp/0812972155/
The old magazine article below shows some screen shots from id's
software development on NeXTStep:
https://www.gamedeveloper.com/disciplines/monsters-from-the-id-the-making-of-i-doom-i-

In the 1990s Jobs' company listed seven Wyoming NeXTStep users. Three of
us collaborated on various schemes to make money. Another user, John
Perry Barlow, lyricist for the Greatful Dead and a founding member of
the Electronic Frontier Foundation, owned a Wyoming ranch. The son of an
airline pilot used NeXTStep for something in Lander WY. The back stories
of the other two users are unknown to me.
You used to be able to "finger" Carmack at idsoftware.com to
obtain his thought for the day. His most valuable insight (to me)
stressed the need to always bracket conditional C statement(s),
especially single lines:

if (something == true) {
dosomething();
}

Balls 20 Qu8k was the last time Carmack popped up on my radar:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=carmack+qu8k+balls

Danke,
--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``. https://crcomp.net/reviews.php
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,.
2021-09-09 03:43:45 UTC
Post by Don
[...]
I agree with him and have practiced my C++ that way for several years now.

I also place the constant value first now if there is one.

if (true == something)
{
doSomething ();
}

If I screw up and just use a single equals instead of a double equals,
the compiler will error and warn me of the problem.

Thanks,
2021-09-09 03:59:13 UTC
On Wed, 8 Sep 2021 22:43:45 -0500, Lynn McGuire
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Don
[...]
I used to do that and got yelled at by the lead programmer. Now I'm
the lead programmer <evil grin>.
Lynn McGuire
2021-09-09 04:59:12 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Don
[...]
I was taught the trick by one of my programmers. It is disconcerting at
first but now I am used to it.