168 The Brightest Fell (October Daye Book 11) by Seanan McGuire
2020-03-21 20:44:55 UTC
168 The Brightest Fell (October Daye Book 11) by Seanan McGuire

The sister October never knew she had has been missing for
the last 100 years, and now, suddenly, Mom wants her found.
Never mind that it's not on Toby's to-do list, or that she
has no reason to jump when her mother says Frog: dear
old mom can supply all the needed motivation by kidnapping
October & May's loves. And if First-Borns getting on Toby's
bad side has historically not been a winning proposition, well
mother knows best. How can the situation get any better?
Well Toby's worst enemy is along for the ride...

I liked this book, but it seemed a bit slight to me. Things
weren't helped by pairing it with a short story about October's
techno-dyrad friend. I suppose I knew that when I ordered the
book, but by the time I started reading it I had forgotten, and
with the progress bar reading 80%, the book suddenly ended.
Who would have guessed that Simon Torquill would be the most
interesting character, or that we would really come to feel
for him?
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2020-03-22 19:40:06 UTC
On 21 Mar 2020 at 20:44:55 GMT, "Ted Nolan <tednolan>" <Ted Nolan <tednolan>>
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
168 The Brightest Fell (October Daye Book 11) by Seanan McGuire
The sister October never knew she had has been missing for
the last 100 years, and now, suddenly, Mom wants her found.
Never mind that it's not on Toby's to-do list, or that she
has no reason to jump when her mother says Frog: dear
old mom can supply all the needed motivation by kidnapping
October & May's loves. And if First-Borns getting on Toby's
bad side has historically not been a winning proposition, well
mother knows best. How can the situation get any better?
Well Toby's worst enemy is along for the ride...
I liked this book, but it seemed a bit slight to me.
Agreed - it was fun and fine, but despite filling out a bunch of family
backstory felt like it didn't really add much to Toby's world. Maybe McGuire
felt the need to bring in the unused content on her character filecards but
they had already flavoured the world enough through the previous books.
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Things
weren't helped by pairing it with a short story about October's
techno-dyrad friend. I suppose I knew that when I ordered the
book, but by the time I started reading it I had forgotten, and
with the progress bar reading 80%, the book suddenly ended.
I always find that jarring, and reading as ebooks only makes it less likely to
notice that there's a novella/short at the back end.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"No flying cars yet?", he wrote from a 2 inch by 4 inch pocket computer