"Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (16) (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster Bujold
2021-09-06 18:42:53 UTC
"Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (16) (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster
Bujold

https://www.amazon.com/Captain-Vorpatrils-Alliance-Vorkosigan-Saga/dp/1476736987/

Book number sixteen (in chronological order) of an eighteen book space
opera series. However, some people call this a military science fiction
series. There are several other books and short stories in the
Vorkosigan Universe. This series won the Hugo and Nebula awards for
best series in 2017. Also, several of the individual books in the
series have either won awards or been nominated for awards. This book
was nominated for the 2013 Hugo and Locus awards for best novel. This
is my second reading of this book. I reread the well printed and well
bound new MMPB published by Baen in 2014 that I just rebought on Amazon
(the second printing !). I have rebought the rest of the books in the
series in MMPB.

Captain Ivan Xav Vorpatril, one of the heirs to the Barrayar Empire, has
been at the middle of several conspiracies during his 35 year lifetime.
So he tries to move himself away from the center of things yet keep
himself moving up the chain in his military career. On temporary duty
in Komarr, he runs into his cousin Byerly Vorrupter. Or rather, By runs
into him and informs him that two ladies in trouble need his help.
Being a little too trusting of By again, he ends up rescuing the two
ladies. And, married to one of them.

Vorkosigan Saga (Chronological) by Lois McMaster Bujold
https://www.goodreads.com/series/98254-vorkosigan-saga-chronological
1. Dreamweaver's Dilemma
2. Falling Free
3. Shards of Honor
4. Barrayar
5. The Warrior's Apprentice
6. The Borders of Infinity (The Mountains of Mourning, etc)
7. The Vor Game
8. Cetaganda
9. Ethan Of Athos
10. Brothers in Arms
11. Mirror Dance
12. Memory
13. Komarr
14. A Civil Campaign
15. Diplomatic Immunity
16. Captain Vorpatril's Alliance
17. CryoBurn
18. Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen

My rating: 5 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars (988 reviews)

Lynn
William Hyde
2021-09-06 21:53:27 UTC
[...]
I put this in a box of mysteries I was giving to my sister, who does not read SF. She liked it.

Now the only question is how I came to have a copy. I do not recall buying it, and I *think* I can recall all of my hardcover purchases. Mysterious.

William Hyde
Lynn McGuire
2021-09-06 22:20:32 UTC
Post by William Hyde
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
Yes, I did not put the word "Romance" into the description. The
description might be better worded as "Book number sixteen (in
chronological order) of an eighteen book space opera romance series."

You need to buy your sister the other seventeen books in order to be a
good brother now that you got her hooked.

Lynn
William Hyde

William Hyde
Lynn McGuire
2021-09-07 18:32:44 UTC
Post by William Hyde
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
I suspect that is tongue in cheek because the expense of those 17 books
would be around $300, quite an expense for a retired person.

Lynn
William Hyde
2021-09-07 19:33:32 UTC
Post by William Hyde
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
Well, I already have about six of them. And was planning on ordering the others for myself.

The question is, which would be the best to give her next? Her two principle genres are mystery and anything Stephen King writes. She does read non-genre fiction, and is not fond of romance.

William Hyde
Lynn McGuire
2021-09-07 19:37:37 UTC
Post by William Hyde
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by William Hyde
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
"Shards of Honor (2) (Vorkosigan Saga)" $15.49 in the USA

https://www.amazon.com/Shards-Honor-Vorkosigan-McMaster-Bujold/dp/1476781109/

and

"Barrayar (3) (Vorkosigan Saga)" $15.99 in the USA

https://www.amazon.com/Barrayar-Vorkosigan-Saga-McMaster-Bujold/dp/1476781117/

You can find used for much cheaper though if need be. Me, I like to
reward the author for their effort.

2021-09-07 02:23:12 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
I believe Avram Davidson had some information about that.
2021-09-07 18:34:25 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avram_Davidson

Books about magic ???

2021-09-07 19:05:13 UTC
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
https://avramdavidson.com/or-all-the-seas-with-oysters/
William Hyde
2021-09-07 19:40:39 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
And it wouldn't hurt to see that I have all of his fiction as well.

To my shame, I must admit that I forgot about this excellent writer for twenty five years, only discovering after his death that this writer had been *writing* all that time. Who knew? Aside from everybody else.

And after he based Limekiller(1) on me. Such ingratitude on my part.

(1) Warning, this may not be an entirely serious claim.

William Hyde