OT: rot-13
nuny@bid.nes
2019-05-05 05:08:46 UTC
I use Firefox, for which there used to be a neat add-on "leetkey" which would convert rot-13 and some other "strange" text formats in real time in pretty much any webpage (including here).

I grabbed it because many here used rot-13 to hide spoilers.

Well, the add-on stopped working a few Firefox updates ago, but I've noticed nobody seems to use rot-13 much anymore either.

Is there a replacement method out there, or is it worth the bother?

Mark L. Fergerson
Kevrob
2019-05-05 05:20:31 UTC
https://www.rot13.com/ works for me.

2019-05-05 05:56:45 UTC
Post by ***@bid.nes
Is there a replacement method out there, or is it worth the bother?
https://www.rot13.com/ works for me.
Kevin R
But it is not worth the bother imho. Just use some spoiler space if you
need to.
2019-05-05 11:23:09 UTC
Post by ***@bid.nes
Is there a replacement method out there, or is it worth the bother?
https://www.rot13.com/ works for me.
Kevin R
But it is not worth the bother imho. Just use some spoiler space if you
need to.
That can be unreliable.

You could put your secret comments on your Twitter
so no one reads them :-)

...I mean, reads them accidentally.
Bill Gill
2019-05-05 13:23:43 UTC
Post by ***@bid.nes
I use Firefox, for which there used to be a neat add-on "leetkey" which would convert rot-13 and some other "strange" text formats in real time in pretty much any webpage (including here).
I grabbed it because many here used rot-13 to hide spoilers.
Well, the add-on stopped working a few Firefox updates ago, but I've noticed nobody seems to use rot-13 much anymore either.
Is there a replacement method out there, or is it worth the bother?
Mark L. Fergerson
Spoiler Space always worked for me. It is a lot
simpler than exotic add-ons, and is not nearly as
annoying.

Bill
Kevrob
2019-05-06 01:40:32 UTC
Post by ***@bid.nes
I use Firefox, for which there used to be a neat add-on "leetkey" which would convert rot-13 and some other "strange" text formats in real time in pretty much any webpage (including here).
I grabbed it because many here used rot-13 to hide spoilers.
Well, the add-on stopped working a few Firefox updates ago, but I've noticed nobody seems to use rot-13 much anymore either.
Is there a replacement method out there, or is it worth the bother?
Mark L. Fergerson
I found Cryptext in the add-ons.

I'm going to try it here.

V sbhaq Pelcgrkg va gur nqq-baf.

V'z tbvat gb gel vg urer.

There are numerous other conversions supported.

2019-05-06 01:58:07 UTC
Post by ***@bid.nes
I use Firefox, for which there used to be a neat add-on "leetkey" which would convert rot-13 and some other "strange" text formats in real time in pretty much any webpage (including here).
I grabbed it because many here used rot-13 to hide spoilers.
Well, the add-on stopped working a few Firefox updates ago, but I've noticed nobody seems to use rot-13 much anymore either.
Is there a replacement method out there, or is it worth the bother?
Mark L. Fergerson
I found Cryptext in the add-ons.
I'm going to try it here.
V sbhaq Pelcgrkg va gur nqq-baf.
V'z tbvat gb gel vg urer.
Fur fryyf frn furyyf ol gur frn fuber.
Post by Kevrob
There are numerous other conversions supported.
yawa deirrac teg t'nod
(?)
2019-05-06 02:38:02 UTC
Post by Kevrob
There are numerous other conversions supported.
yawa deirrac teg t'nod
(?)
nly f t bd clm, nd grw p n
th Grt Sth By. cn spt ths.
nuny@bid.nes
2019-05-07 06:22:05 UTC
Post by ***@bid.nes
I use Firefox, for which there used to be a neat add-on "leetkey" which would convert rot-13 and some other "strange" text formats in real time in pretty much any webpage (including here).
I grabbed it because many here used rot-13 to hide spoilers.
Well, the add-on stopped working a few Firefox updates ago, but I've noticed nobody seems to use rot-13 much anymore either.
Is there a replacement method out there, or is it worth the bother?
Mark L. Fergerson
I found Cryptext in the add-ons.
I'm going to try it here.
V sbhaq Pelcgrkg va gur nqq-baf.
V'z tbvat gb gel vg urer.
There are numerous other conversions supported.
Outstanding, thank you!

The search function in the Firefox add-on library in unintuitive... for me anyway. I tried searching for rot-13 and got nothing. Oh, well, that's what the HiveMind is for. ;>)

Mark L. Fergerson
Kevrob
2019-05-07 20:15:39 UTC
Post by ***@bid.nes
Post by Kevrob
Post by ***@bid.nes
I use Firefox, for which there used to be a neat add-on "leetkey" which would convert rot-13 and some other "strange" text formats in real time in pretty much any webpage (including here).
I grabbed it because many here used rot-13 to hide spoilers.
Well, the add-on stopped working a few Firefox updates ago, but I've noticed nobody seems to use rot-13 much anymore either.
Is there a replacement method out there, or is it worth the bother?
Mark L. Fergerson
I found Cryptext in the add-ons.
I'm going to try it here.
V sbhaq Pelcgrkg va gur nqq-baf.
V'z tbvat gb gel vg urer.
There are numerous other conversions supported.
Outstanding, thank you!
Lbh ner jrypbzr.
Post by ***@bid.nes
The search function in the Firefox add-on library in unintuitive... for me anyway. I tried searching for rot-13 and got nothing. Oh, well, that's what the HiveMind is for. ;>)
Over the weekend, I was using my laptop at home and all my normal
Firefox add-ons disappeared. It took a while, but after enough
time had passed, the add-ons updated and became compatible with
FF's latest version.

It temporarily seemed as if Mozilla didn't want me to control
Javascript and ads in my browsing experience. All is well, again.

2019-05-07 21:09:39 UTC
Post by ***@bid.nes
Post by ***@bid.nes
Post by ***@bid.nes
Post by ***@bid.nes
Post by ***@bid.nes
The search function in the Firefox add-on library in unintuitive...
for me anyway. I tried searching for rot-13 and got nothing. Oh, well,
that's what the HiveMind is for. ;>)
Over the weekend, I was using my laptop at home and all my normal
Firefox add-ons disappeared. It took a while, but after enough
time had passed, the add-ons updated and became compatible with
FF's latest version.
It temporarily seemed as if Mozilla didn't want me to control
Javascript and ads in my browsing experience. All is well, again.
Kevin R
It was a huge bug and blackeye for them, especially since it came from
negligence on their part. (Somebody forgot an important certificate
was going to expire).
Mike Van Pelt
2019-05-07 19:34:28 UTC
Post by ***@bid.nes
I use Firefox, for which there used to be a neat add-on "leetkey" which would convert
rot-13 and some other "strange" text formats in real time in pretty much any webpage
(including here).
I grabbed it because many here used rot-13 to hide spoilers.
Well, the add-on stopped working a few Firefox updates ago, but I've noticed nobody
seems to use rot-13 much anymore either.
Is there a replacement method out there, or is it worth the bother?
I don't generally do spoilers, so I haven't needed to do rot-13.
Since I use trn 4.0 to read news, though, I can decode it with
shift-X.

Encoding, I would pipe the offending text through

tr a-zA-Z n-za-mN-ZA-M

Maybe trn has a key to do that automagically, but I haven't
researched it. I would use it so rarely it'd take me less time
and effort to do that tr command than to re-find it.
--
Mike Van Pelt | "I don't advise it unless you're nuts."
mvp at calweb.com | -- Ray Wilkinson, after riding out Hurricane
KE6BVH | Ike on Surfside Beach in Galveston
Dorothy J Heydt
2019-05-07 21:52:28 UTC
Post by ***@bid.nes
seems to use rot-13 much anymore either.
Is there a replacement method out there, or is it worth the bother?
I don't generally do spoilers, so I haven't needed to do rot-13.
Since I use trn 4.0 to read news, though, I can decode it with
shift-X.
Encoding, I would pipe the offending text through
tr a-zA-Z n-za-mN-ZA-M
Maybe trn has a key to do that automagically, but I haven't
researched it. I would use it so rarely it'd take me less time
and effort to do that tr command than to re-find it.
Trn, at least the version of it I'm using, uses ctrl-X to rot13
everything, so that suddenly one is looking at a pageful of
gibberish with a few readable lines. I have no way of knowing if
that would work on any other system.
2019-05-07 22:59:48 UTC
Post by ***@bid.nes
seems to use rot-13 much anymore either.
Is there a replacement method out there, or is it worth the bother?
I don't generally do spoilers, so I haven't needed to do rot-13.
Since I use trn 4.0 to read news, though, I can decode it with
shift-X.
Encoding, I would pipe the offending text through
tr a-zA-Z n-za-mN-ZA-M
Maybe trn has a key to do that automagically, but I haven't
researched it. I would use it so rarely it'd take me less time
and effort to do that tr command than to re-find it.
Trn, at least the version of it I'm using, uses ctrl-X to rot13
everything, so that suddenly one is looking at a pageful of
gibberish with a few readable lines. I have no way of knowing if
that would work on any other system.
What some people may not know about ROT-13... if you
can do that while you're /writing/ text, then add more
ordinary text to the gibberish, and then do ctrl-X
or whatever again... obo'f lbhe hapyr. ;-)
Dorothy J Heydt
2019-05-08 00:09:15 UTC
Post by ***@bid.nes
[...]
No, I don't think I can do that. But then, I never try to *put*
anything into rot-13. Just decode it. I use spoiler space, the
word SPOILER a couple of times, and ctrl-L.
Paul Colquhoun
2019-05-12 00:59:25 UTC
On Tue, 7 May 2019 21:52:28 GMT, Dorothy J Heydt <***@kithrup.com> wrote:
| In article <85lAE.11909$***@fx22.iad>,
| Mike Van Pelt <***@web1.calweb.com> wrote:
|>In article <784fbecc-b000-49a1-8f9a-***@googlegroups.com>,
|>***@bid.nes <***@gmail.com> wrote:
|>> I use Firefox, for which there used to be a neat add-on "leetkey"
|>which would convert
|>>rot-13 and some other "strange" text formats in real time in pretty
|>much any webpage
|>>(including here).
|>>
|>> I grabbed it because many here used rot-13 to hide spoilers.
|>>
|>> Well, the add-on stopped working a few Firefox updates ago, but I've
|>noticed nobody
|>>seems to use rot-13 much anymore either.
|>>
|>> Is there a replacement method out there, or is it worth the bother?
|>
|>I don't generally do spoilers, so I haven't needed to do rot-13.
|>Since I use trn 4.0 to read news, though, I can decode it with
|>shift-X.
|>
|>Encoding, I would pipe the offending text through
|>
|>tr a-zA-Z n-za-mN-ZA-M
|>
|>Maybe trn has a key to do that automagically, but I haven't
|>researched it. I would use it so rarely it'd take me less time
|>and effort to do that tr command than to re-find it.
|
| Trn, at least the version of it I'm using, uses ctrl-X to rot13
| everything, so that suddenly one is looking at a pageful of
| gibberish with a few readable lines. I have no way of knowing if
| that would work on any other system.

I use slrn as a text Usenet reader, and it has the same feature, but
using esc-r as the key sequence.
--
Reverend Paul Colquhoun, ULC. http://andor.dropbear.id.au/
Asking for technical help in newsgroups? Read this first:
http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#intro
Geoff Warren
2019-05-08 00:31:40 UTC
Post by ***@bid.nes
Is there a replacement method out there, or is it worth the bother?
I use a bookmarklet for ROT-13. There's one available at:

https://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/pagedata.html
Geoff
Sjouke Burry
2019-05-08 01:01:43 UTC
I use > http://mnenhy.mozdev.org/

Mainly for rot13.
Joe Pfeiffer
2019-05-08 02:04:33 UTC
emacs:

esc-x rot13-other-window
esc-x rot13-region

https://xkcd.com/378/
Gary R. Schmidt
2019-05-08 06:06:11 UTC
Post by Sjouke Burry
Post by Geoff Warren
   Is there a replacement method out there, or is it worth the bother?
https://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/pagedata.html
I use > http://mnenhy.mozdev.org/
Mainly for rot13.
Alas mnenhy doesn't work on new (well, even old) versions of Thunderbird.

I used to beta test it, but I think the dev got bored or fell under a
bus or something.

I also think the new Thunderbird add-on interface may not allow things
like mnenhy to work.

Cheers,
Gary B-)
--
When men talk to their friends, they insult each other.
They don't really mean it.