"Exit" by Harry Farjeon
Butch Malahide
2018-02-08 07:21:52 UTC
Anybody know where Harry Farjeon's horror-fantasy short
story "Exit" was published and what anthologies it's in?
Can't find anything about it in the ISFDB.
Anthony Nance
2018-02-13 12:49:19 UTC
Post by Butch Malahide
Anybody know where Harry Farjeon's horror-fantasy short
story "Exit" was published and what anthologies it's in?
Can't find anything about it in the ISFDB.
I dug around a bit and here's what little I found (some of
which you already know, but it's here for completeness):

In addition to various web searches, I tried many of the
resources found at http://www.philsp.com/homeville/
Maybe you'll have better luck.

It seems to have been published in 1943 as
"Exit: a play in one act". Is that the actual/original
name of the short story? Was it originally a play, or did
the short story come first?

I could only turn up two anthologies that include this story:
"Ten Tales" edited by A.A. Phillips (1951, with reprints in 1959,
1961, and 1970 at least; one publisher was Longmans, Green & Co;
another was Longmans, Croydon, Victoria) Copies of this one are
out there (abebooks, for example).

"That untravelled world: a collection of science fiction short stories"
by Belinda Hoole; Tony Marshall; Malcolm Venter; South African Council
for English Education. Eastern Cape Branch. ; Institute for the Study
of English (2000)

A short film was made in 2012 that seems to have been well received.

And that's about it - wish I found more.
Tony
Anthony Nance
2018-02-13 12:50:57 UTC
Post by Anthony Nance
Post by Butch Malahide
[...]
Forgot to include:
There's also a short film from 1974.
Tony
Butch Malahide
Thanks a lot!
g***@gmail.com
2018-07-02 20:55:19 UTC
There is a 13 minute short film of this starring Julian Glover on Vimeo website from 2015.

https://vimeo.com/76992293

Kind Regards