"Exit" by Harry Farjeon
Add Reply
Butch Malahide
2018-02-08 07:21:52 UTC
Anybody know where Harry Farjeon's horror-fantasy short
story "Exit" was published and what anthologies it's in?
Can't find anything about it in the ISFDB.
Anthony Nance
2018-02-13 12:49:19 UTC
Post by Butch Malahide
Anybody know where Harry Farjeon's horror-fantasy short
story "Exit" was published and what anthologies it's in?
Can't find anything about it in the ISFDB.
I dug around a bit and here's what little I found (some of
which you already know, but it's here for completeness):

In addition to various web searches, I tried many of the
resources found at http://www.philsp.com/homeville/
Maybe you'll have better luck.

It seems to have been published in 1943 as
"Exit: a play in one act". Is that the actual/original
name of the short story? Was it originally a play, or did
the short story come first?

I could only turn up two anthologies that include this story:
"Ten Tales" edited by A.A. Phillips (1951, with reprints in 1959,
1961, and 1970 at least; one publisher was Longmans, Green & Co;
another was Longmans, Croydon, Victoria) Copies of this one are
out there (abebooks, for example).

"That untravelled world: a collection of science fiction short stories"
by Belinda Hoole; Tony Marshall; Malcolm Venter; South African Council
for English Education. Eastern Cape Branch. ; Institute for the Study
of English (2000)

A short film was made in 2012 that seems to have been well received.

And that's about it - wish I found more.
Tony
Anthony Nance
2018-02-13 12:50:57 UTC
Post by Anthony Nance
Post by Butch Malahide
[...]
Forgot to include:
There's also a short film from 1974.
Tony
Butch Malahide
Thanks a lot!
g***@gmail.com
2018-07-02 20:55:19 UTC
There is a 13 minute short film of this starring Julian Glover on Vimeo website from 2015.

https://vimeo.com/76992293

Kind Regards
Judy Weppner
2021-02-26 10:18:50 UTC
"Exit" is published in an anthology called "Take 23" edited by John K Ewers & Deidre E Weston (1970s)
Gary Oreo
I think I have a pdf version of Harry Farjeon's "Exit" in my archived documents if anyone is interested.
Dorothy J Heydt
2021-07-19 22:48:41 UTC
Post by Judy Weppner
Post by Judy Weppner
Post by Butch Malahide
Anybody know where Harry Farjeon's horror-fantasy short
story "Exit" was published and what anthologies it's in?
Can't find anything about it in the ISFDB.
"Exit" is published in an anthology called "Take 23" edited by John K
Ewers & Deidre E Weston (1970s)
I think I have a pdf version of Harry Farjeon's "Exit" in my archived
documents if anyone is interested.
Hmm. ISFDB has nothing whatever on him. Wikipedia says he was a
composer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Farjeon
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/