The Swan Eaters: Morbis is an idiot
2019-11-04 18:31:40 UTC
The Swan Eaters: Morbis is an idiot
https://www.gocomics.com/swan-eaters/2019/11/04

Yup, Grandma has an idiot for a son. Bulgaria in 1941 is a very
dangerous place for gypsies.

2019-11-04 19:03:21 UTC
The Swan Eaters: Morbis is an idiot
https://www.gocomics.com/swan-eaters/2019/11/04
Yup, Grandma has an idiot for a son. Bulgaria in 1941 is a very
dangerous place for gypsies.
Yes. The artist has not yet used the G-word, but does uses the
word "travellers," which is Irish parlance for the Roma.
2019-11-04 20:38:45 UTC
The Swan Eaters: Morbis is an idiot
https://www.gocomics.com/swan-eaters/2019/11/04
Yup, Grandma has an idiot for a son. Bulgaria in 1941 is a very
dangerous place for gypsies.
Yes. The artist has not yet used the G-word, but does uses the
word "travellers," which is Irish parlance for the Roma.
I did not know this about "travellers". Not surprising though.

And now we know that Morbis reads newspapers and knew about the Nazis,
whom he dismissed. But Grandma does not read newspapers.

2019-11-04 21:18:35 UTC
The Swan Eaters: Morbis is an idiot
https://www.gocomics.com/swan-eaters/2019/11/04
Yup, Grandma has an idiot for a son. Bulgaria in 1941 is a very
dangerous place for gypsies.
Yes. The artist has not yet used the G-word, but does uses the
word "travellers," which is Irish parlance for the Roma.
I did not know this about "travellers". Not surprising though.
And now we know that Morbis reads newspapers and knew about the Nazis,
whom he dismissed. But Grandma does not read newspapers.
That commie, "Ewan MacColl,"* wrote a great song about them.

I learned it first from the Clancys & T Makem:

* "Jimmy Miller" before he took the stage name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ewan_MacColl

Guy was a hell of a songwriter.

2019-11-04 22:19:09 UTC
http://youtu.be/joNTYxROyGo
http://youtu.be/wqrlTkD2iWU
* "Jimmy Miller" before he took the stage name.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ewan_MacColl
Guy was a hell of a songwriter.
Kevin R
Cher had a song about Gypsy's, Tramps, and Thieves in 1971:

2019-11-04 22:21:25 UTC
The Swan Eaters: Morbis is an idiot
https://www.gocomics.com/swan-eaters/2019/11/04
Yup, Grandma has an idiot for a son. Bulgaria in 1941 is a very
dangerous place for gypsies.
Yes. The artist has not yet used the G-word, but does uses the
word "travellers," which is Irish parlance for the Roma.
I did not know this about "travellers". Not surprising though.
And now we know that Morbis reads newspapers and knew about the Nazis,
whom he dismissed. But Grandma does not read newspapers.
That commie, "Ewan MacColl,"* wrote a great song about them.
http://youtu.be/joNTYxROyGo
http://youtu.be/wqrlTkD2iWU
* "Jimmy Miller" before he took the stage name.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ewan_MacColl
Guy was a hell of a songwriter.
Kevin R
http://youtu.be/TOSZwEwl_1Q
Lynn
Her so-called "Dusky Trilogy":

"Half-Breed"
"Gypsies, Tramps & Theives"
"Dark Lady"
Default User
2019-11-05 01:48:29 UTC
Gypsy has tramps and thieves?

Brian
Titus G
2019-11-05 02:10:53 UTC
Post by Default User
Gypsy has tramps and thieves?
Brian
The recent thread including apostrophe cartoon was a very long time ago,
perhaps more than two trips round the bowl.
Paul S Person
2019-11-05 18:12:35 UTC
On Mon, 4 Nov 2019 17:48:29 -0800 (PST), Default User
Post by Default User
Gypsy has tramps and thieves?
In the World of Stereotypes, they are synonymous.
2019-11-04 21:17:13 UTC
The Swan Eaters: Morbis is an idiot
https://www.gocomics.com/swan-eaters/2019/11/04
Yup, Grandma has an idiot for a son. Bulgaria in 1941 is a very
dangerous place for gypsies.
Yes. The artist has not yet used the G-word, but does uses the
word "travellers," which is Irish parlance for the Roma.
I did not know this about "travellers". Not surprising though.
And now we know that Morbis reads newspapers and knew about the Nazis,
whom he dismissed. But Grandma does not read newspapers.
She might take it up ... assuming she can read. (Palms, and
omens, and maybe the entrails of chickens, but newspapers??)
2019-11-05 00:27:02 UTC
On Mon, 4 Nov 2019 14:38:45 -0600, Lynn McGuire
The Swan Eaters: Morbis is an idiot
https://www.gocomics.com/swan-eaters/2019/11/04
Yup, Grandma has an idiot for a son. Bulgaria in 1941 is a very
dangerous place for gypsies.
Yes. The artist has not yet used the G-word, but does uses the
word "travellers," which is Irish parlance for the Roma.
I did not know this about "travellers". Not surprising though.
In Googling to find the title of "The Riches" which I had forgotten, I
was reminded that in Dragonsdawn there is a Traveler family.
Lynn
Mark Jackson
2019-11-04 22:57:47 UTC
Yes. The artist has not yet used the G-word, but does uses the
word "travellers," which is Irish parlance for the Roma.
Common in at least one fictional county in England, if several episodes
of Midsomer Murders can be believed.
Lots of people called their ships unsinkable before
the Titanic. Voicing your hubris doesn't make failure
more likely, just more memorable. - Randall Munroe
Chrysi Cat
2019-11-05 03:05:29 UTC
The Swan Eaters: Morbis is an idiot
   https://www.gocomics.com/swan-eaters/2019/11/04
Yup, Grandma has an idiot for a son.  Bulgaria in 1941 is a very
dangerous place for gypsies.
Lynn
TWO idiots for sons. We already knew Offal was totes a failure at life,
going back even further than when he killed the swans while Winnie was
out hunting deer to save the family.

It's a /whole/ lot more disappointing to see that Morbis has no sense of
self-preservation, because he has to be the only Roma to be capable of
reading of the Nazis and yet not know he's /on their list./ Now I'm
wondering if I'm supposed to like or care about any of these people
other than Olwen, Salem, Peter, Clover and Vesper. Well, Wigglesworth,
but I mean "any of these humans".
--
Chrysi Cat
Transgoddess, quick to anger.
2019-11-05 15:44:30 UTC
Post by Chrysi Cat
Post by Lynn McGuire
The Swan Eaters: Morbis is an idiot
   https://www.gocomics.com/swan-eaters/2019/11/04
Yup, Grandma has an idiot for a son.  Bulgaria in 1941 is a very
dangerous place for gypsies.
Lynn
TWO idiots for sons. We already knew Offal was totes a failure at life,
going back even further than when he killed the swans while Winnie was
out hunting deer to save the family.
It's a /whole/ lot more disappointing to see that Morbis has no sense of
self-preservation, because he has to be the only Roma to be capable of
reading of the Nazis and yet not know he's /on their list./ Now I'm
wondering if I'm supposed to like or care about any of these people
other than Olwen, Salem, Peter, Clover and Vesper. Well, Wigglesworth,
but I mean "any of these humans".
They're creepy and they're kooky, mysterious and spooky, they're
alogether ooky... they're an affectionate family but I don't think
you're meant to like or admire them.

Is the story going to be about Nazis from this point on? That's
difficult to do well. Especially concentration camp scenes.
Lynn McGuire
2019-11-05 18:09:35 UTC
Post by Chrysi Cat
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
The author says that the story gets dark, very dark as it goes on.

From
https://www.gocomics.com/swan-eaters/about

"I wrote Swan Eaters between 2011-2013, after a fever dream during a
bout of the flu. It was a very funny, very scary nightmare about a
little old hag trying to look after a group of children. The kids kept
stealing her spell book and summoning bigger and more ridiculous
monsters through a portal they'd scratched out on the floor in crayon.
Soon the exasperated old crone was catching crawling babies and running
children, battling back an ever increasing gruesome menagerie in a very
"that episode of 'I Love Lucy' with the chocolates" way. Wanting to know
more about her and her family, I spent the rest of my sickness resting
and sketching. A week or two before, a friend had told a story about a
man he worked with complaining that growing up his town had prized their
swans in the park. One year a family came to town and ate them, causing
an uproar. The story stuck in my head, this entire town furious at a
family for eating their swans. This tale began weaving itself into my
drawings. By the time I recovered, the first 10-15 strips of Swan Eaters
were finished."

2019-11-06 03:16:17 UTC
Post by Chrysi Cat
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
Well, let's hope that Granny can (at the least) outsmart them.

She does remind me a lot of Graydon's Halt, and not just because
of the appearance of an elderly lady.