RIP Freeman Dyson (15 December 1923 - 28th February 2020)
Johnny Tindalos
2020-02-29 08:36:02 UTC
Was sad to read this morning (via Edge.org) that Freeman Dyson has passed away at
the age of 96.

(Wondering, as many have, if the dark matter is all stars inside Dyson spheres, but
I suppose they'd raditate in the infrared and we'd have noticed. Although if you
can make a Dyson sphere maybe you can also reduce/avoid that if you feel like
it...pet black hole as heat sink?)

He did very many things:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeman_Dyson
m***@sky.com
2020-02-29 09:58:14 UTC
Post by Johnny Tindalos
Was sad to read this morning (via Edge.org) that Freeman Dyson has passed away at
the age of 96.
(Wondering, as many have, if the dark matter is all stars inside Dyson spheres, but
I suppose they'd raditate in the infrared and we'd have noticed. Although if you
can make a Dyson sphere maybe you can also reduce/avoid that if you feel like
it...pet black hole as heat sink?)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeman_Dyson
96 is a good long run, but that's a shame.
One of my few regrets from my time at University is that I got a ticket to hear him talk live and then missed the talk.
Lynn McGuire
2020-03-02 07:46:49 UTC
Post by Johnny Tindalos
Was sad to read this morning (via Edge.org) that Freeman Dyson has passed away at
the age of 96.
(Wondering, as many have, if the dark matter is all stars inside Dyson spheres, but
I suppose they'd raditate in the infrared and we'd have noticed. Although if you
can make a Dyson sphere maybe you can also reduce/avoid that if you feel like
it...pet black hole as heat sink?)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeman_Dyson
"Climate Skeptic Freeman Dyson Dies at 96"

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2020/02/29/climate-skeptic-freeman-dyson-dies-at-96/

"I loved reading Dyson’s visionary articles and work, his son George
Dyson’s book about Project Orion shows how close Dyson and his fellow
scientists came to opening our way to the stars. They developed a known
technology space drive with capabilities straight out of science
fiction, so powerful yet affordable it could conceivably have propelled
a manned mission to Alpha Centauri, or boosted space colonisation
efforts by transporting entire cities to other planets or the Asteroid
belt."

"Project Orion was killed off by President Kennedy, when he signed the
Partial Nuclear Test Ban Treaty."

I have wondered what happened to the Orion drive.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Orion_(nuclear_propulsion)

Lynn
Johnny Tindalos
2020-03-03 22:36:57 UTC
I have wondered what happened to the Orion drive.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Orion_(nuclear_propulsion)
I remember that from _Footfall_. Very interesting article; makes me sad that we
don't have fast interstellar travel.
J. Clarke
2020-03-04 00:54:57 UTC
On Mon, 2 Mar 2020 01:46:49 -0600, Lynn McGuire
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Johnny Tindalos
[...]
As stated in your quote, it was killed by the Test Ban Treaty. And
now NASA has for some reason decided to obfuscate its very existence
with their own "Orion" that is just a rehash of Apollo.
2020-03-04 01:41:42 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Johnny Tindalos
[...]
Both mythological names that no one was actually using...
does the nuclear Orion partake of the "giant rapist"
narrative of Orion, or is it the "threatened to
exterminate all animal life on Earth" one?