Barnes and Noble
Bill Gill
2020-06-04 13:09:20 UTC
OK, the local B&N here in Tulsa has reopened. Yesterday I went in to
see what I could find. They took the opportunity while they were
closed for the pandemic to completely rearrange the store. I'm not
sure what their aim was but it is laid out strangely. They don't have
the book shelves in straight lines with aisles between. They seem to
be in coves, with the books around the sides. The Science Fiction
section is also weird. For one thing they separated it into Science
Fiction and Fantasy. That always works so well. There are a lot of
SF books that bridge the gap between SF and Fantasy. And there seems
to be some sort of split in the Fantasy section, as if there were 2
kinds of fantasy. I'm not positive about that, it may just be that I
was bemused by their strange arrangement.

I suppose I will get used to it. But it was strange.

And they also didn't have a couple of books that I was expecting to
find. 'The Glass Magician' by Caroline Stevermer, and a new one by
Lisa Shearin, I can't remember the title right off hand, but it is
apparently the start of a new series.

Bill
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-06-04 17:56:22 UTC
Post by Bill Gill
OK, the local B&N here in Tulsa has reopened. Yesterday I went in to
see what I could find. They took the opportunity while they were
closed for the pandemic to completely rearrange the store. I'm not
sure what their aim was but it is laid out strangely. They don't have
the book shelves in straight lines with aisles between. They seem to
be in coves, with the books around the sides. The Science Fiction
section is also weird. For one thing they separated it into Science
Fiction and Fantasy. That always works so well. There are a lot of
SF books that bridge the gap between SF and Fantasy. And there seems
to be some sort of split in the Fantasy section, as if there were 2
kinds of fantasy. I'm not positive about that, it may just be that I
was bemused by their strange arrangement.
Oh, dear, oh dear, sounds as if the arrangement was instituted by
someone who reads neither SF nor F.
Post by Bill Gill
And they also didn't have a couple of books that I was expecting to
find. 'The Glass Magician' by Caroline Stevermer, and a new one by
Lisa Shearin, I can't remember the title right off hand, but it is
apparently the start of a new series.
I got _TGM_ from Amazon as soon as I learned of its existence.
If you haven't found a copy yet, persevere. It's cool.
2020-06-04 18:43:00 UTC
[...]
B. Daltons tried that for a while. Was strange then also.

2020-06-04 22:13:00 UTC
Post by Bill Gill
OK, the local B&N here in Tulsa has reopened. Yesterday I went in to
see what I could find. They took the opportunity while they were
closed for the pandemic to completely rearrange the store. I'm not
sure what their aim was but it is laid out strangely. They don't have
the book shelves in straight lines with aisles between. They seem to
be in coves, with the books around the sides.
Does it make sense as social distancing?

UK chain Waterstone's already uses that sort of
layout for some of the space in some stores.

I suppose you stand in a cove and eyebrowse,
people can walk past your cove at a safe distance.
Bill
Bill Gill
2020-06-05 01:48:11 UTC
Post by Bill Gill
The Science Fiction
section is also weird. For one thing they separated it into Science
Fiction and Fantasy. That always works so well. There are a lot of
SF books that bridge the gap between SF and Fantasy. And there seems
to be some sort of split in the Fantasy section, as if there were 2
kinds of fantasy. I'm not positive about that, it may just be that I
was bemused by their strange arrangement.
I suppose I will get used to it. But it was strange.
And they also didn't have a couple of books that I was expecting to
find. 'The Glass Magician' by Caroline Stevermer, and a new one by
Lisa Shearin, I can't remember the title right off hand, but it is
apparently the start of a new series.
Bill
The coves didn't seem to be that small. I don't know what they were
thinking of.

Bill
Kevrob
2020-06-05 03:33:01 UTC
Post by Bill Gill
Post by Bill Gill
The Science Fiction
section is also weird. For one thing they separated it into Science
Fiction and Fantasy. That always works so well. There are a lot of
SF books that bridge the gap between SF and Fantasy. And there seems
to be some sort of split in the Fantasy section, as if there were 2
kinds of fantasy. I'm not positive about that, it may just be that I
was bemused by their strange arrangement.
I suppose I will get used to it. But it was strange.
And they also didn't have a couple of books that I was expecting to
find. 'The Glass Magician' by Caroline Stevermer, and a new one by
Lisa Shearin, I can't remember the title right off hand, but it is
apparently the start of a new series.
Bill
The coves didn't seem to be that small. I don't know what they were
thinking of.
Are there noticeably less stock? Have tables been taken out,
so people have more room to space themselves? Has seating been
removed or restricted? The "easy chairs and tables" furniture
type of decorating - a la Denver's Tattered Cover - that was
cloned by B&N back in the day is probably not flying in the
Covid-19 environment. Is there a cafe, and is it serving?
Is it take-out only? We won't have indoor food service until
20 June, unless the governor changes his mind.

Kevin R
Bill Gill
2020-06-05 13:22:32 UTC
Post by Bill Gill
Post by Bill Gill
[...]
They seem to have about as many books as always. Of course
with the drastic rearrangement it is hard to tell.

I think there were chairs in the cove I particularly noticed.

I assume that the coffee shop was open, but I didn't look.
We do have indoor food service now here in Oklahoma. There are
restrictions to help reduce the transfer of Covid-19. I haven't
eaten indoors at a restaurant yet. I have been getting take-out.
However, I notice that the incidence of new cases has been increasing
for the past week. There is a chart they show in the Tulsa World,
our local paper, everyday, and it has shown a consistent increase.

Bill
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-06-05 13:38:30 UTC
Post by Bill Gill
Post by Kevrob
Post by Bill Gill
Post by Bill Gill
[...]
Oh dear. Please be careful.
2020-06-05 16:20:41 UTC
Post by Bill Gill
Post by Kevrob
Post by Bill Gill
Post by Bill Gill
[...]
That may be the entire purpose of the remodel: reduce inventory
(that they can't afford) but not have customers notice.

Lynn:
(May 2019 total for people arrested for entering the United States
illegally is over 132,000 for just the southwest border.)

2020-06-05 16:44:37 UTC
Post by Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
Post by Bill Gill
Post by Kevrob
Post by Bill Gill
Post by Bill Gill
[...]
It seems to me most recent B&N remodels have been to make more room for toys.
2020-06-05 17:35:36 UTC
Post by Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
Post by Bill Gill
On Thursday, June 4, 2020 at 9:48:15 PM UTC-4, Bill Gill
Post by Bill Gill
Post by Bill Gill
[...]
That has certainly been the pattern the last few years, but right
now, that's old news.

Joe Pfeiffer
2020-06-05 23:17:07 UTC
Post by Bill Gill
Post by Kevrob
Are there noticeably less stock? Have tables been taken out,
so people have more room to space themselves? Has seating been
removed or restricted? The "easy chairs and tables" furniture
type of decorating - a la Denver's Tattered Cover - that was
cloned by B&N back in the day is probably not flying in the
Covid-19 environment. Is there a cafe, and is it serving?
Is it take-out only? We won't have indoor food service until
20 June, unless the governor changes his mind.
They seem to have about as many books as always. Of course
with the drastic rearrangement it is hard to tell.
That may be the entire purpose of the remodel: reduce inventory
(that they can't afford) but not have customers notice.
The B&N at NMSU has virtually eliminated books from their floor space.
It's all Aggie-branded clothes and nick nacks, a very occasional book,
and the space for textbooks.