[OT] Cognitive Dissonance
2018-10-07 11:51:44 UTC
Michelle Malkin, I don't think this phrase means what you think it means:

http://insider.foxnews.com/2018/09/20/michelle-malkin-calls-out-liberal-hollywood-women-over-brett-kavanaugh-video

Cognitive dissonance is the condition of believing two things which contradict each other.

Believing that some black men are falsely accused of rape, and are wrongly imprisoned...

and that some white men are truly accused of rape, and get away with it...

does not involve any such conflict.

2018-10-07 18:26:52 UTC
Something else I was going to comment on. From a tweet made by the organization
"Time's Up" in response to the Kavanaugh appointment:

It’s heartbreaking but not surprising that this small group of largely white men
made a decision that valued the career of one man above all else.

My immediate reaction to this was that it was a serious mischaracterization of
the motives of the Republicans, one that might hamper efforts to deal with them.

It isn't about individuals at all. The Republicans didn't value Brett Kavanaugh as an individual above Christine Ford because he was male in addition to being white. They would easily have thrown him away like a piece of wet tissue paper if it suited their purposes.

No, this was all about the Republicans seizing control of the Supreme Court,
getting someone in there who would vote the way they wanted while they still
could - before the midterms.

Senator Orrin Hatch's remark - "grow up" - to a woman protesting his appointment
while it was still prospective gives the game away.

And so, if the Republicans had heard of the allegations earlier, with enough
time to swap in another candidate with a cleaner record, they would have done so
in a heartbeat.

But this means that the Democrats aren't angels either. Or at least they aren't
_all_ angels, since there's *one* Democrat who isn't an angel: Dianne Feinstein.

She was the one who heard from Christine Blasey Ford. And who sat on her
allegations until the right moment, until it was much too late for the
Republicans to start the confirmation process, and have it conclude in advance
of the midterms, for another appointee.

So doing maximum damage to the Republicans, and stopping them from appointing a
conservative jurist, was more important to her than simply keeping one woman's
assailant off the Supreme Court.

American politics has become toxic. But that toxicity is present on both sides.

John Savard
a***@yahoo.com
2018-10-07 23:40:22 UTC
http://insider.foxnews.com/2018/09/20/michelle-malkin-calls-out-liberal-hollywood-women-over-brett-kavanaugh-video
Cognitive dissonance is the condition of believing two things which contradict each other.
A former boss sent me some threatening letter before firing me which accused me of cognitive dissonance.
I wanted to reply to him that I could take him seriously or I could take science seriously but I couldn't do both, so I thought he might have had a point. But maybe he didn't. How tragic.