016 Personal Demons by Stacia Kane
2020-03-21 20:01:20 UTC
016 Personal Demons by Stacia Kane

When I picked this book up, I wasn't sure whether it was Urban
Fantasy (my preference) or Supernatural Romance. It quickly became
clear that it was the later: there was only one real possible
character for the heroine to be attracted to, and the plot seemed
to exist to service the relationship rather than the relationship
flowing from the plot.

I thought the worldbuilding was a bit weak here as well. Granted
the heroine is a newbie and still doesn't know all the details, but
a number of things didn't seem to make much sense. For instance,
some humans know all about demons and how they generally seek to
mess up human lives, so naturally they are dedicated to ... keeping
the rank and file of humanity from finding any of this out. Um,
that would seem to be helpful and important information..

The setting was a bit generic too. The city is never given a name
that I can recall, and sometimes it seemed as though it had English
characteristics and sometimes American.

I also thought the author didn't know very much about counseling
and therapy. She had a few buzz words, but I never really believed
the heroine was a skilled therapist. Likewise, we only get one
therapy phonecall (I think..) on the radio show that is the impetus
for the whole plot, and the situation with her partners just seems
bizarre and not something I can imagine happening.

That's not to say the book isn't entertaining. The author often
comes up with very funny and pithy metaphors and similies, her
bodyguards are a hoot and there are some interesting twists such
as when she meets up with her worst nightmares and they serve her
milk and cookies.
Robert Carnegie
2020-03-23 23:17:23 UTC
016 Personal Demons by Stacia Kane
When I picked this book up, I wasn't sure whether it was Urban
Fantasy (my preference) or Supernatural Romance. It quickly became
clear that it was the later: there was only one real possible
character for the heroine to be attracted to, and the plot seemed
to exist to service the relationship rather than the relationship
flowing from the plot.
I thought the worldbuilding was a bit weak here as well. Granted
the heroine is a newbie and still doesn't know all the details, but
a number of things didn't seem to make much sense. For instance,
some humans know all about demons and how they generally seek to
mess up human lives, so naturally they are dedicated to ... keeping
the rank and file of humanity from finding any of this out. Um,
that would seem to be helpful and important information..
Well... Marvel Comics just published something
interesting. Yet another... group of antagonists...
showed up to threaten Civilisation, and against them:
er, "Strikeforce". The Leftover Avengers.
The latest-ish issue I read, team members start
to remember that actually they've individually
encountered these bogeys before, inpreviously
untold adventures... then we're told that those
remembered events didn't happen: the heroes' minds
are being altered by contact with and knowledge of
the enemy. So, public knowledge of them (as said
since issue one) is catastrophically dangerous.

Accordingly (I surmise)
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strikeforce_%28comics%29>
is quite carefully edited.