How many Black Holes are there?
Add Reply
The Starmaker
2018-11-18 06:26:18 UTC
How many Black Holes are there?
Whisper
2018-11-18 08:39:49 UTC
Post by The Starmaker
How many Black Holes are there?
It doesn't matter.

---
https://www.avg.com
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn
2018-11-18 14:46:24 UTC
Post by Whisper
Post by The Starmaker
How many Black Holes are there?
It doesn't matter.
But it does.

F’up2 sci.physics.relativity
--
PointedEars

Twitter: @PointedEars2
Chris M. Thomasson
2018-11-18 23:48:43 UTC
Post by The Starmaker
How many Black Holes are there?
I don't know. If the universe is infinite, then there are an infinite
amount. Well, how many stars are being tracked right now that are decent
candidates to go supernova in less than 100 years? Some of them should
end up creating black holes...
The Starmaker
2018-11-20 18:20:50 UTC
Post by The Starmaker
How many Black Holes are there?
maybe yous people didn't understand the question...

How many Black Holes are there? "are there?"

"are there" means...in a place or position.

"are there"

How many Black Holes ... *are there*?

Look, I understand yous numbers guys like to say 'billions and billions'...

'billions and billions of earths', and 'billions and billions of black holes'...

but the question is...How many Black Holes are there?

You know, confirmed..

is it 10... or around 20? maybe 25??
Chris M. Thomasson
2018-11-20 21:28:38 UTC
Post by The Starmaker
Post by The Starmaker
How many Black Holes are there?
maybe yous people didn't understand the question...
How many Black Holes are there? "are there?"
"are there" means...in a place or position.
"are there"
How many Black Holes ... *are there*?
Look, I understand yous numbers guys like to say 'billions and billions'...
'billions and billions of earths', and 'billions and billions of black holes'...
but the question is...How many Black Holes are there?
You know, confirmed..
is it 10... or around 20? maybe 25??
Imagine that most, if not all galaxies have super massive black holes
nested within their cores. Are there more than 25 galaxies?

Also, there can be smaller black holes wandering the dust lanes of a galaxy.

I have a feeling that these small wandering bh's might be "connected" to
the main super large giant bh in the center.
The Starmaker
2018-11-21 01:54:57 UTC
Post by The Starmaker
Post by The Starmaker
How many Black Holes are there?
maybe yous people didn't understand the question...
How many Black Holes are there? "are there?"
"are there" means...in a place or position.
"are there"
How many Black Holes ... *are there*?
Look, I understand yous numbers guys like to say 'billions and billions'...
'billions and billions of earths', and 'billions and billions of black holes'...
but the question is...How many Black Holes are there?
You know, confirmed..
is it 10... or around 20? maybe 25??
Another guy who can't be bothered to look this up for himself, but would rather just make a wild-ass guess.
Here you go, Lazy...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_black_holes
I count 139 on that page, including galaxies containing bit double and triple black holes.
That link you provided reads:

This is an ordered list of the most massive black holes so far discovered (and probable candidates),

You would have to omit (probable candidates) since "probable candidates" you cannot confirm that which you have no proof of.

I would estimate there are over 100 probable candidates.

That leaves 10 balck holes... or around 20? or maybe even 25?? But certaintly not 130 since you didn't omit probable candidates.

There you go, Lazy...
The Starmaker
2018-11-21 18:28:22 UTC
Post by The Starmaker
Post by The Starmaker
Post by The Starmaker
[...]
In the interest of accuracy, the page says "This is a list of black holes (and stars considered probable candidates)". Note it says "stars" and not Supermassive black holes, which are definitely not individual stars.
Okay Lazy, here it is on the line you provided:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_black_holes

Supermassive black holes and candidates

(then under it it reads: See also: List of most massive black holes and List of quasars)

Then, you put your mouse on the highlighted link:

List of most massive black holes

The link pop-up reads: This is an ordered list of the most massive black holes so far discovered (and probable candidates)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_massive_black_holes

Here you go, Lazy...
The Starmaker
2018-11-22 07:46:21 UTC
Post by The Starmaker
Post by The Starmaker
Post by The Starmaker
[...]
List of most massive black holes
The link pop-up reads: This is an ordered list of the most massive black holes so far discovered (and probable candidates)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_massive_black_holes
Here you go, Lazy...
So, what's your point? 'Probable candidates' is a strong statement,
Maybe you don't know what the word "Probable" means...it means no proof. How can you confirm something without proof?
and I see where casually dismissed my question about how you 'estimated' that there were over 100 'probable candidates'?
The math is simple, you counted 139 black holes and I took away the 'probable candidates',

139 Supermassive black holes and candidates
- 25 confirmed
_________
114 'probable candidates'

There are over 100 'probable candidates' (they don't count).

and i didn't say two dozen...Here you go, Lazy...
The Starmaker
2018-11-24 22:01:03 UTC
Post by The Starmaker
Post by The Starmaker
Post by The Starmaker
Post by The Starmaker
[...]
List of most massive black holes
The link pop-up reads: This is an ordered list of the most massive black holes so far discovered (and probable candidates)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_massive_black_holes
Here you go, Lazy...
So, what's your point? 'Probable candidates' is a strong statement,
Maybe you don't know what the word "Probable" means...it means no proof. How can you confirm something without proof?
Get a dictionary...
https://www.google.com/search?q=probable&rlz=1C1ILPI_enUS745US745&oq=probable&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.4949j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
prob·a·ble
adjective
1.
likely to be the case or to happen.
"it is probable that the economic situation will deteriorate further"
synonyms: likely, most likely, odds-on, expected, anticipated, predictable, foreseeable, ten to one;
Besides, in science there is no such thing as "proof"...
https://www.google.com/search?q=is+there+proof+in+science%3F&rlz=1C1ILPI_enUS745US745&oq=is+there+proof+in+science%3F&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i64l3.6901j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Post by The Starmaker
and I see where casually dismissed my question about how you 'estimated' that there were over 100 'probable candidates'?
The math is simple, you counted 139 black holes and I took away the 'probable candidates',
You cannot determine which ones are probable candidates... you are just making it up...
It's very easy to determined which ones are...confimed black holes from the canidate, ..unless if you're tooooo lazy.
Post by The Starmaker
139 Supermassive black holes and candidates
- 25 confirmed
_________
114 'probable candidates'
There are over 100 'probable candidates' (they don't count).
Make it up as you go along...
Here you go, Lazy...find out how may are confirmed.

Separate the men from the boys...read a book.

laaaaazzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeey.

oh, i forgot...you get your 'specailized knowledge' from the...Internet.

What do you call the rest of the 'billions and billions' of black holes????

garbage.