Something wrong with Google?
Add Reply
Lonnie Clay
2011-06-26 04:09:12 UTC
Let's see if this gets posted.

Lonnie Courtney Clay
erilar
2011-06-26 15:25:01 UTC
In article
Post by Lonnie Clay
,
Let's see if this gets posted.
Lonnie Courtney Clay
Google is fine as long as you don't trust googlemaps. They've been
playing with it for months, messing it up.
--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist

http://www.mosaictelecom.com/~erilarlo
John Savard
2011-06-26 20:47:49 UTC
On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 21:09:12 -0700 (PDT), Lonnie Clay
Post by Lonnie Clay
Let's see if this gets posted.
Yes: I've noticed just now, finally, that in several newsgroups I
frequent, and one very active newsgroup I know of that I've stopped
frequenting, there has not been one posting for today, June 26. This is
even true when I view the newsgroups in the "new Google Groups
interface".

While many people who use "real" methods of accessing USENET will
vehemently deny that today is the day it died, I can definitely tell you
that I'm not thrilled by this development.

John Savard
http://www.quadibloc.com/index.html
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2011-06-26 23:18:10 UTC
Post by John Savard
While many people who use "real" methods of accessing USENET
will vehemently deny that today is the day it died,
You won't see it. And usenet will, perhaps, be a bit better for its
lack of your wingnuttery.

Terry Austin: like the polio vaccine, only with more asshole. - David
Bilek

Yeah, I had Terry confused with Hannibal Lecter. - Mike Schilling

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.
Cryptoengineer
2011-06-28 00:12:53 UTC
Post by Lonnie Clay
Let's see if this gets posted.
Yes: I've noticed just now, finally, that in several newsgroups I
frequent, and one very active newsgroup I know of that I've stopped
frequenting, there has not been one posting for today, June 26. This
is even true when I view the newsgroups in the "new Google Groups
interface".
While many people who use "real" methods of accessing USENET will
vehemently deny that today is the day it died, I can definitely tell
you that I'm not thrilled by this development.
It's still hosed. To my astonishment, there seems to be no specific way
to post a bug report about GG on the Google site. I eventually posted to
a gmail forum, with 'please forward'.

The problem is, this won't remove the spammers, but it will almost
entirely cut off the tiny trickle of new blood newsgroups have been
getting from GG.

"A text only forum? I'll need to install special software to get it?
F*ck that."

pt
Anthony Nance
2011-06-28 15:08:19 UTC
Post by Lonnie Clay
Let's see if this gets posted.
Yes: I've noticed just now, finally, that in several newsgroups I
frequent, and one very active newsgroup I know of that I've stopped
frequenting, there has not been one posting for today, June 26. This
is even true when I view the newsgroups in the "new Google Groups
interface".
While many people who use "real" methods of accessing USENET will
vehemently deny that today is the day it died, I can definitely tell
you that I'm not thrilled by this development.
It's still hosed. To my astonishment, there seems to be no specific way
to post a bug report about GG on the Google site. I eventually posted to
a gmail forum, with 'please forward'.
For what it's worth, at their "overview" page:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!overview

There's a sentence/link shortly after the "Welcome..." which says:
If you have feedback, we'd love to hear what you think.

I spent less than one minute playing, so I don't want to judge.
I did immediately notice that their list/categories for browsing
don't respect Usenet heirarchies. For example, you can't find
rasfw by going to Recreation, then looking for Arts....

Tony
John Savard
2011-06-30 05:56:55 UTC
Incidentally, postings from after June 25 are now appearing, so it
seemed like they had "fixed" it. But it's still not updating with a
reasonable frequency.

Robert Carnegie
2011-06-29 16:11:41 UTC
Post by Lonnie Clay
Let's see if this gets posted.
Yes: I've noticed just now, finally, that in several newsgroups I
frequent, and one very active newsgroup I know of that I've stopped
frequenting, there has not been one posting for today, June 26. This is
even true when I view the newsgroups in the "new Google Groups
interface".
While many people who use "real" methods of accessing USENET will
vehemently deny that today is the day it died, I can definitely tell you
that I'm not thrilled by this development.
John Savard <http://www.quadibloc.com/index.html>
I wonder if we all expected someone else to tell 'em it was broken?

And also, if it's now actually working?
Mark Fergerson
2011-06-29 16:26:41 UTC
Post by Lonnie Clay
Let's see if this gets posted.
Yes: I've noticed just now, finally, that in several newsgroups I
frequent, and one very active newsgroup I know of that I've stopped
frequenting, there has not been one posting for today, June 26. This is
even true when I view the newsgroups in the "new Google Groups
interface".
While many people who use "real" methods of accessing USENET will
vehemently deny that today is the day it died, I can definitely tell you
that I'm not thrilled by this development.
John Savard <http://www.quadibloc.com/index.html>
I wonder if we all expected someone else to tell 'em it was broken?
Problem is that there's no obvious way (meaning I can't find one) TO tell
them.
Post by Robert Carnegie
And also, if it's now actually working?
I may check later today.

Mark L. Fergerson
William December Starr
2011-07-01 09:29:35 UTC
Post by Mark Fergerson
Post by Robert Carnegie
I wonder if we all expected someone else to tell 'em it was broken?
Problem is that there's no obvious way (meaning I can't find one)
TO tell them.
Google's got too much important stuff going on to be bothered by
noise from people.

-- wds
Quadibloc
2011-07-01 22:28:10 UTC
Post by William December Starr
Google's got too much important stuff going on to be bothered by
noise from people.
Yes, like making the menu bar black.

But they seem to have finally gotten around to making Google Groups
work again.

John Savard
mcdowella
2011-06-29 18:41:31 UTC
Post by Lonnie Clay
Let's see if this gets posted.
Yes: I've noticed just now, finally, that in several newsgroups I
frequent, and one very active newsgroup I know of that I've stopped
frequenting, there has not been one posting for today, June 26. This is
even true when I view the newsgroups in the "new Google Groups
interface".
While many people who use "real" methods of accessing USENET will
vehemently deny that today is the day it died, I can definitely tell you
that I'm not thrilled by this development.
John Savardhttp://www.quadibloc.com/index.html
Where do we go when rec.arts.sf.written disappears? I had a quick look
round, and the best I could find at the time was
http://www.amazon.com/forum/science%20fiction
but I didn't look very hard. Any other suggestions - I like the feel
of this newgroup, and am interested in book reviews, book discussions,
and general gossip.
Dorothy J Heydt
2011-06-29 19:33:04 UTC
Post by Lonnie Clay
[...]
Various people who used to post here have blogs. Some of them
can be commented on. I tend not to; I always feel like a
stranger who has accidentally wandered into someone else's party.
Should you wish to email me, you'd better use the gmail edress.
Kithrup's all spammy and hotmail's been hacked.
Tina Hall
2011-06-29 19:17:00 UTC
Post by mcdowella
Where do we go when rec.arts.sf.written disappears?
Why should rasfw disappear, and who could possibly make it
disappear?
Post by mcdowella
Any other suggestions
Um, stay here?

The 'we' you refer to is the people keeping it right here,
populated.

Oh, and even google seems to be back in participating (it shows a
number of new posts). Shame on the one hand, but I do find it
convenient to check whether there's anything new in the threads I
follow, or even dig someone out of the killfile who happened to say
something interesting. (Those I won't skip over even in the google
Usenet archive, anyway.)
--
('bad guy') "You can't do this! You've got rules!"
(Jodra) "Rules don't apply to those who don't live by them."
Excerpts at: <http://home.htp-tel.de/fkoerper/ath/athintro.htm>
Jim G.
2011-06-30 01:48:16 UTC
Post by Lonnie Clay
[...]
Yahoo! Groups has some good options, and they also allow you to read
everything via email so that you can avoid the inevitable web forum
kludge. It suffers on the threading side of things, but there are a lot
worse options out there. And I know of a couple of good sci-fi groups
there, although I'm not following them at the moment.

Of course, this newsgroup isn't going anywhere and Usenet is no closer
to death now than it's been every other time someone got panicky, so
it's all pretty much academic at this point.
--
Jim G.
Waukesha, WI
Michael Stemper
2011-07-08 16:51:46 UTC
Post by mcdowella
Post by John Savard
While many people who use "real" methods of accessing USENET will
vehemently deny that today is the day it died, I can definitely tell you
that I'm not thrilled by this development.
Where do we go when rec.arts.sf.written disappears?
It's not going to disappear. Giggle Gropes might disappear.
Post by mcdowella
but I didn't look very hard. Any other suggestions - I like the feel
of this newgroup, and am interested in book reviews, book discussions,
and general gossip.
Anybody who wants to can get a newsreader and sign up with one or more
free news servers, or one that costs all of 10E/year.
--
Michael F. Stemper
#include <Standard_Disclaimer>
Ghosts crowd the young child's fragile eggshell mind.
Lynn McGuire
2011-06-29 18:53:22 UTC
Post by Lonnie Clay
Let's see if this gets posted.
Lonnie Courtney Clay
Why don't you use http://www.eternal-september.org/ or
http://web.aioe.org/ ?

Lynn
Michael A. Terrell
2011-06-29 19:23:40 UTC
Post by Lonnie Clay
Let's see if this gets posted.
Lonnie Courtney Clay
Why don't you use http://www.eternal-september.org/ or
http://web.aioe.org/ ?
Lynn
news:alt.free.newsservers is a newsgroup that discusses the various
free NNTP servers.
Jim G.
2011-06-30 01:48:29 UTC
Why don't you use http://www.eternal-september.org/ or
http://web.aioe.org/ ?
I don't recommend AIOE unless you're into that guilt-by-association thing.
--
Jim G.
Waukesha, WI
Robert Carnegie
2011-06-30 18:22:18 UTC
Post by Lonnie Clay
Let's see if this gets posted.
Lonnie Courtney Clay
Seems now to be processing a backlog, slowly, and maybe missing some
articles...
j***@cherrycreekschools.org
2018-11-28 15:09:29 UTC
Post by Lonnie Clay
Let's see if this gets posted.
Lonnie Courtney Clay
what does let's see if this get's posted mean?
Dorothy J Heydt
2018-11-28 16:02:22 UTC
Post by j***@cherrycreekschools.org
Post by Lonnie Clay
Let's see if this gets posted.
Lonnie Courtney Clay
what does let's see if this get's posted mean?
Well, for Lonnie's possible enlightenment:

I use trn (threaded readnews) to read USENET posts, and it gives
me a sort of diagram of what post was replied to by what other
post. It looks like a string of numbers in parentheses, e.g.,

(1)-(1)-(2)

etc., where changing the number from (1) to (2) indicates that
the Subject: line has changed with thread drift.

But I saw Lonnie's original post as a pair of empty parentheses,

( )- (1)

where (1) was jholcks reply, to which I am now replying.

Lonnie, I don't know what your problem is, but the only time I've
seen a pair of empty parentheses was when somebody thought he was
replying in private email, but accidentally posted to the group.
It was slightly embarrassing for all concerned, but eventually
settled with no hard feelings.

I have no idea whether this is in any way related to your problem
in posting. But that's the only other time I've seen a pair of
empty parentheses on trn.

Perhaps other posters can provide more useful diagnoses.
2018-11-28 16:22:11 UTC
Post by Lonnie Clay
Let's see if this gets posted.
Lonnie Courtney Clay
what does let's see if this get's posted mean?
Perhaps other posters can provide more useful diagnoses.
Jholck was replying to a 2011 message from LCC, who was
apparently testing his usenet client posting capability.
Robert Carnegie
2018-11-29 00:53:05 UTC
Post by Lonnie Clay
Let's see if this gets posted.
Lonnie Courtney Clay
what does let's see if this get's posted mean?
Perhaps other posters can provide more useful diagnoses.
Jholck was replying to a 2011 message from LCC, who was
apparently testing his usenet client posting capability.
Actually, the history is about a temporary loss of service
in Google Groups. My past self reports that articles began to
appear there again after a few days.

j***@cherrycreekschools.org
2018-11-28 15:12:34 UTC
Post by Lonnie Clay
Let's see if this gets posted.
Lonnie Courtney Clay
I want to know why it says=
This site can’t be reached The connection was reset.
Try:

Checking the connection
Checking the proxy and the firewall
Running Windows Network Diagnostics
ERR_CONNECTION_RESET
I'm confused. Nothing seems wrong with my chrome book but it says something is wrong. Maybe I am just hallucinating.