"Barnes & Noble has one flaw that should terrify potential buyers"
2018-10-04 17:25:27 UTC
"Barnes & Noble has one flaw that should terrify potential buyers"

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/barnes-noble-one-flaw-terrify-potential-buyers-142924153.html

Just one flaw ? I can count three but I must admit Amazon is huge
problem for B&N.

2018-10-04 19:33:02 UTC
"Barnes & Noble has one flaw that should terrify potential
buyers"
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/barnes-noble-one-flaw-terrify-pote
ntial-buyers-142924153.html
Just one flaw ? I can count three but I must admit Amazon is
huge problem for B&N.
Barnes & Noble's problem isn't Amazon, it's Barnes & Noble. They
utterly failed at ebook sales when they declared war on their
customers, and built a system that said clearly "If we go out of
business, you're fucked out of your library, and we're going to make
sure it stays that way." That's when I stopped buying from them.

The best deal would be if B&N were bought _by Amazon_, which has been
experiementing with brick & mortar stores anyway.

news{@bestley.co.uk (Mark Bestley)
2018-10-04 22:48:08 UTC
Post by Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
Post by Lynn McGuire
"Barnes & Noble has one flaw that should terrify potential
buyers"
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/barnes-noble-one-flaw-terrify-pote
ntial-buyers-142924153.html
Just one flaw ? I can count three but I must admit Amazon is
huge problem for B&N.
Barnes & Noble's problem isn't Amazon, it's Barnes & Noble. They
utterly failed at ebook sales when they declared war on their
customers, and built a system that said clearly "If we go out of
business, you're fucked out of your library, and we're going to make
sure it stays that way." That's when I stopped buying from them.
How is that different from any othr DRm ebook system - thanks Microsoft

B&N also bought the best ebook store and messed it up and then closed it
and stopped me reading some books. So I never bought from B&N anyway.
Mark
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
2018-10-04 23:11:56 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
"Barnes & Noble has one flaw that should terrify potential
buyers"
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/barnes-noble-one-flaw-terrify-p
ote ntial-buyers-142924153.html
Just one flaw ? I can count three but I must admit Amazon is
huge problem for B&N.
Barnes & Noble's problem isn't Amazon, it's Barnes & Noble.
They utterly failed at ebook sales when they declared war on
their customers, and built a system that said clearly "If we go
out of business, you're fucked out of your library, and we're
going to make sure it stays that way." That's when I stopped
buying from them.
How is that different from any othr DRm ebook system - thanks
Microsoft
They have made it impossible to download the file to archive it,
and as close to impossible as they can to extract it from the
device. They play games with the encryption, too (at one point, I
think they were generating a unique key for every download on every
epub), but if the device can open the file, the encryption can be
cracked. Ergo, no, you can't download the file _at all_. They've
made it *very* clear their intent is that if they go out of
business, all nook libraries will disappear entirely, with no
recourse.
Post by news{@bestley.co.uk (Mark Bestley)
B&N also bought the best ebook store and messed it up and then
closed it and stopped me reading some books. So I never bought
from B&N anyway.
I still use their reader app (currently on a nook branded Samsung
tablet that was a gift from work for my 25th anniversary there),
because I like the way it works. But I buy from Amazon, perform a
little Apprentice Alf magic, and have Calibre convert it to epub.
B&B was so annoying I didn't even bother to use the credit I got
from the anti-trust settlement. Fuck 'em.

Default User
2018-10-06 18:26:05 UTC
Post by Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
They have made it impossible to download the file to archive it,
and as close to impossible as they can to extract it from the
device.
Some potentially useful information can be found here:

https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/

There is a section covering Nook.

Brian
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2018-10-06 18:42:14 UTC
Post by Default User
Post by Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
They have made it impossible to download the file to archive it,
and as close to impossible as they can to extract it from the
device.
https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/
There is a section covering Nook.
Brian
It's also possible to go into Android nooks with adb and retrieve the
sqlite file with the key info, load it into the sqlite command line
and get that, then use adb to get the actual epub file.

It's a job of work though, and after my "left the kindle on top of the car"
emergency nook purchase, I decided it can stay in the box after I was
re-kindled.
2018-10-06 19:22:50 UTC
Post by Default User
Post by Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
They have made it impossible to download the file to archive
it, and as close to impossible as they can to extract it from
the device.
https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/
There is a section covering Nook.
Brian
It's also possible to go into Android nooks with adb and
retrieve the sqlite file with the key info, load it into the
sqlite command line and get that, then use adb to get the actual
epub file.
It's a job of work though, and after my "left the kindle on top
of the car" emergency nook purchase, I decided it can stay in
the box after I was re-kindled.
Yeah. Once Calibre is set up, it's about two steps and it's done, and
the epub is ready to load onto the tablet.

2018-10-06 20:22:18 UTC
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by Default User
Post by Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
They have made it impossible to download the file to archive
it, and as close to impossible as they can to extract it from
the device.
https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/
There is a section covering Nook.
Brian
It's also possible to go into Android nooks with adb and
retrieve the sqlite file with the key info, load it into the
sqlite command line and get that, then use adb to get the actual
epub file.
It's a job of work though, and after my "left the kindle on top
of the car" emergency nook purchase, I decided it can stay in
the box after I was re-kindled.
Yeah. Once Calibre is set up, it's about two steps and it's done, and
the epub is ready to load onto the tablet.
Yep, I did a check with a free Nook book. About as easy as Kindle or
Overdrive once the PC program for Nook is set up.

Brian
Ninapenda Jibini
2018-10-07 04:17:35 UTC
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by Default User
[...]
Oh, I don't use their desktop app. I don't read on the desktop.
Onlhy on the tablet.

2018-10-06 22:40:57 UTC
after my "left the kindle on top of the car"
emergency nook purchase, I decided it can stay in the box after I was
re-kindled.
About half a kilometre from home whilst out walking, I found a phone in
the gutter. It was from the car roof of my across the road neighbour who
was elderly and female.
Whilst Expanse 4, Cibola Burns, was very currently politically correct
in regard to gender equality and non standard nuclear family living
arrangements, I spied a small subtle spot of sexism when behaviour was
disparagingly compared to that of an old woman.
(And gravity has provided physical symbols of "race".)
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
2018-10-06 19:21:37 UTC
Post by Default User
Post by Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
They have made it impossible to download the file to archive it,
and as close to impossible as they can to extract it from the
device.
https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/
There is a section covering Nook.
I am familiar with Apprentice Alf, as noted before. Perhaps there's a
way now that doesn't involve installing software that hasn't been
updated in years (and who knows what holes it has in it), but B&N
lost me as a customer when they adopted "we're going to fuck you if
you don't keep doing business with me" attitude.

2018-10-06 20:27:45 UTC
Post by Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
I am familiar with Apprentice Alf, as noted before. Perhaps there's a
way now that doesn't involve installing software that hasn't been
updated in years (and who knows what holes it has in it), but B&N
lost me as a customer when they adopted "we're going to fuck you if
you don't keep doing business with me" attitude.
Certainly a bit of a risk on that score. If you have existing Nook
products it might be worth getting them all down and saved then
uninstalling the PC program.

Someone mentioned the ability to get the epub from Android. That would
be a good option for some. I have iPad so there's not much likelihood
of that working there.

Right now it's academic for me as I don't have any Nook books (other
than the one I used as a test) but I might peruse the free offerings to
see if there's anything I'd be interested in.

Brain
Ninapenda Jibini
2018-10-07 04:20:39 UTC
Post by Default User
Post by Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
I am familiar with Apprentice Alf, as noted before. Perhaps
there's a way now that doesn't involve installing software that
hasn't been updated in years (and who knows what holes it has
in it), but B&N lost me as a customer when they adopted "we're
going to fuck you if you don't keep doing business with me"
attitude.
Certainly a bit of a risk on that score.
Given how obviously they have been going out of business for the
last few years, more than a bit. They are currently looking for a
buyer.

What do you think are the odds of a new owner keeping current
libraries available?
Post by Default User
If you have existing
Nook products it might be worth getting them all down and saved
then uninstalling the PC program.
I stopped buy from B&N when they stopped letting me download
copies.
Post by Default User
Someone mentioned the ability to get the epub from Android. That
would be a good option for some. I have iPad so there's not much
likelihood of that working there.
Right now it's academic for me as I don't have any Nook books
(other than the one I used as a test) but I might peruse the
free offerings to see if there's anything I'd be interested in.
Have fun with that. Amazon has a much larger catalog, and while
they don't make it overly easy to download copies I can get
converted to epubs, they don't make it particularly difficult,
either.

2018-10-07 04:37:02 UTC
Post by Ninapenda Jibini
Post by Default User
Right now it's academic for me as I don't have any Nook books
(other than the one I used as a test) but I might peruse the
free offerings to see if there's anything I'd be interested in.
Have fun with that. Amazon has a much larger catalog, and while
they don't make it overly easy to download copies I can get
converted to epubs, they don't make it particularly difficult,
either.
Well, it's about the same once you get the PC program. If you're coming
at it from Android it sounds like it might be a bit more effort, but
moot for me at this time.

Brian

D B Davis
2018-10-04 23:28:03 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
"Barnes & Noble has one flaw that should terrify potential
buyers"
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/barnes-noble-one-flaw-terrify-pote
ntial-buyers-142924153.html
Just one flaw ? I can count three but I must admit Amazon is
huge problem for B&N.
Barnes & Noble's problem isn't Amazon, it's Barnes & Noble. They
utterly failed at ebook sales when they declared war on their
customers, and built a system that said clearly "If we go out of
business, you're fucked out of your library, and we're going to make
sure it stays that way." That's when I stopped buying from them.
How is that different from any othr DRm ebook system - thanks Microsoft
B&N also bought the best ebook store and messed it up and then closed it
and stopped me reading some books. So I never bought from B&N anyway.
Yes! This particular B&N caper was nearly forgotten by me until you
mentioned it. /The best/ ebook store ran right into the ground courtesy
of B&N.

Don
David Johnston
2018-10-04 23:30:55 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
"Barnes & Noble has one flaw that should terrify potential
buyers"
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/barnes-noble-one-flaw-terrify-pote
ntial-buyers-142924153.html
Just one flaw ? I can count three but I must admit Amazon is
huge problem for B&N.
Barnes & Noble's problem isn't Amazon, it's Barnes & Noble. They
utterly failed at ebook sales when they declared war on their
customers, and built a system that said clearly "If we go out of
business, you're fucked out of your library, and we're going to make
sure it stays that way." That's when I stopped buying from them.
How is that different from any othr DRm ebook system - thanks Microsoft
Barnes and Nobel is more likely to go out of business.
Post by news{@bestley.co.uk (Mark Bestley)
B&N also bought the best ebook store and messed it up and then closed it
and stopped me reading some books. So I never bought from B&N anyway.
What was the best ebook store?
2018-10-06 10:55:08 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
"Barnes & Noble has one flaw that should terrify potential
buyers"
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/barnes-noble-one-flaw-terrify-pote
ntial-buyers-142924153.html
Just one flaw ? I can count three but I must admit Amazon is
huge problem for B&N.
Barnes & Noble's problem isn't Amazon, it's Barnes & Noble. They
utterly failed at ebook sales when they declared war on their
customers, and built a system that said clearly "If we go out of
business, you're fucked out of your library, and we're going to make
sure it stays that way." That's when I stopped buying from them.
How is that different from any othr DRm ebook system - thanks Microsoft
Barnes and Nobel is more likely to go out of business.
Microsoft wet out of the ebook business and removed their reader which
was the only official way to read DRMed .lit books

So B&N more likely to go ouet of business true, but any large
organsation can shut dwn part (I would xcept Amazon shutting Kindle down
for many years from that)
Post by David Johnston
Post by news{@bestley.co.uk (Mark Bestley)
B&N also bought the best ebook store and messed it up and then closed it
and stopped me reading some books. So I never bought from B&N anyway.
What was the best ebook store?
Fictionwise - the site was mainly text basd so you got the information
easily wothot all fancy effects and pictures.

Although I liked it mainly when it did not enforce region restrictions.
Mark
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2018-10-06 16:14:40 UTC
Post by David Johnston
What was the best ebook store?
Fictionwise - the site was mainly text basd so you got the information
easily wothot all fancy effects and pictures.
It's amazing how much Amazon pages jump around while all the images load
and all the javascript does whatever it is all the javascript does. I don't
know how many times I've started reading a block of text to have it suddenly
scroll off screen and make me look for it again. Not to mention pushing
the wrong button as the screen suddenly updates to put a completely different
button under my cursor.
Sjouke Burry
2018-10-06 17:52:46 UTC
Post by David Johnston
What was the best ebook store?
Fictionwise - the site was mainly text basd so you got the information
easily wothot all fancy effects and pictures.
It's amazing how much Amazon pages jump around while all the images load
and all the javascript does whatever it is all the javascript does. I don't
know how many times I've started reading a block of text to have it suddenly
scroll off screen and make me look for it again. Not to mention pushing
the wrong button as the screen suddenly updates to put a completely different
button under my cursor.
Well... how else can they shove a maximum of adverts
in your face???
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
2018-10-06 19:20:11 UTC
Post by David Johnston
What was the best ebook store?
Fictionwise - the site was mainly text basd so you got the
information easily wothot all fancy effects and pictures.
It's amazing how much Amazon pages jump around while all the
images load and all the javascript does whatever it is all the
javascript does. I don't know how many times I've started
reading a block of text to have it suddenly scroll off screen
and make me look for it again. Not to mention pushing the wrong
button as the screen suddenly updates to put a completely
different button under my cursor.
Whoever came up with a way to map the arrow keys to last page/next
page should have their fingers crushed into a vise so they can never
type again. (If you zoom in, because the text is so tiny it's smaller
than a single fucking pixel, you'll either end up with a scroll bar
at the bottom, which *should* work with the arrow keys, or the ads
will expand to fill the entire screen, making the page actively
hostile to people with poor vision or small monitors.)

a***@yahoo.com
Would one of those three be their poor SF selection?
Wolffan
2018-10-06 20:06:17 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.com
"Barnes & Noble has one flaw that should terrify potential buyers"
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/barnes-noble-one-flaw-terrify-potential-buyer
s-142924153.html
Just one flaw ? I can count three but I must admit Amazon is huge
problem for B&N.
Would one of those three be their poor SF selection?
The last time I went to my local B&N the SF section was literally half what
it had been when I moved to this county, just over a decade ago. Worse,
having halved the shelf space, a good chunk of what was left was dedicated to
just a few authors, and more was dedicated to ’tie-ins’: Trek (lots of
Trek, TOS, NG, DS9, Voy, New Trek, Ent), Star Wars, Warhammer, D&D, more. I
recalled why I hadn’t been there in six months and left.
Lynn McGuire
2018-10-06 20:42:11 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Post by Lynn McGuire
"Barnes & Noble has one flaw that should terrify potential buyers"
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/barnes-noble-one-flaw-terrify-potential-buyers-142924153.html
Just one flaw ? I can count three but I must admit Amazon is huge
problem for B&N.
Would one of those three be their poor SF selection?
1. B&N is now selling toys which occupies about 25% to 35% of their
floor space so they are competing with Amazon on multiple fronts
2. B&N reduced their inventory by at least 60%, maybe 70% over the last
decade plus
3. B&N moved several of their stores into malls just as the malls
started dying