Found Wen Spencer's _A Brother's Price_
2018-08-10 05:14:23 UTC
I found a copy (in good condition even) in a used bookstore last month.
After reading it, I checked James Nicoll's review, see
<https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/its-a-maams-world>, and decided to
comment on various things.
It is unclear on how bad the male-female ratio is for this world. The
best data is for the Whistler family where 2 generations of children
appear to have a 1 to 8 ratio. The impression I get from other scenes in
_aBP_ is that most families have a worse ratio.
Some of the references online that I found for _aBP_ implied that it
could be a reverse bodice-ripper. I am not familiar with that sub-genre,
but some scenes in _aBP_ were a bit warm. James refers to Jerin as a
Dude in Distress; again, I am not familiar with the Romance genre at
all, but how many Damsels in Distress had lock picks and knew how to use
them? Jerin could also pick pockets, his soldier/thief/spy grandmothers
taught all their children and many grandchildren as well.
I am puzzled about his kidnapping. He was in a suite with 2 exits. The
main one was locked from the inside and had guards on the outside. The
emergency exit was also locked from the inside (there shouldn't had been
possible to break in from the outside, which was somewhat public). I
suppose that the kidnappers could have scaled the outside wall of the
palace and entered via the balcony, but in broad daylight? My internal
Barrayaran Imperial Security analyst is shaking his head.
I disagree with James that the countryside was beset with bandits. I
think it was beset by minions of noble families attacking enemies and
targets of opportunity. This is a problem that the Queens have to solve,
perhaps they will hire a few Whistlers. Wen Spencer posted a few
chapters of a proposed sequel on her Pateron page - it has Jerin's
middle sisters on a trip on riverboat and they seem to interested in the
activities of a noble. I suspect that this sequel will never be
finished, but I think they are members of the Queens's Special
Investigating Service (or perhaps Secret Investigating Servic) or
equivalent.
‹-----------------------------------------------------
Robert Woodward ***@drizzle.com
Leif Roar Moldskred
2018-08-10 06:54:06 UTC
Post by Robert Woodward
Some of the references online that I found for _aBP_ implied that it
could be a reverse bodice-ripper.
So, corsetière porn?
Leif Roar Moldskred
Dimensional Traveler
2018-08-10 07:15:18 UTC
Post by Leif Roar Moldskred
Post by Robert Woodward
Some of the references online that I found for _aBP_ implied that it
could be a reverse bodice-ripper.
So, corsetière porn?
Either 'jockstrap-ripper' or 'tailor sewing'.
2018-08-10 18:25:56 UTC
Post by Robert Woodward
[...]
I liked this book so much that I gave it four out of five stars. Here
is what I said, "What would happen if the birth ratio of men to women
was 1 to 20 instead of the present 1 to 1 (approximately)? Ms. Spencer
examines this vastly different world and finds it interesting."

"Unfortunately this book is out of print so yet again I had to purchase
a used book. I wish the POD people would get their act in gear !"
https://www.amazon.com/Brothers-Price-Wen-Spencer/dp/0451460383/

Lynn
Marti Dolata
I was able to buy an e-copy from Amazon. Highly recommended especially if you do read in the romance genre. If you are familiar with the trophs, you will LOL. Re: lock-picking etc in Robert's post - that is part of the "plucky heroine" troph gender swapped. There are many romances where the hero is impressed by unexpected abilities of the heroine learned from her brothers.
P. Taine
2018-08-14 01:06:09 UTC
On Sun, 12 Aug 2018 08:48:06 -0700 (PDT), Marti Dolata
Post by Marti Dolata
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Robert Woodward
[...]
I'm unfamiliar with the romance genre, but I loved the book, despite on point at
which me suspension of disbelief almost sank totally. Having grown up in the
Hudson River Valley, in the last years of regular of regular river traffic, the
idea of a side-wheel ship with a single paddle wheel simply boggles the mind. It
just couldn't be!
s***@yahoo.com
2018-08-14 02:38:27 UTC
Post by P. Taine
idea of a side-wheel ship with a single paddle wheel simply boggles the mind. It
just couldn't be!
I dimly recall a brother of mine making a model of the earliest steamship, which had one paddle in the middle in a sort of moon-pool.

Still, no point in putting something strange in the book. Star Trek policy was to just use the ray-gun and not explain it.

Nils K. Hammer
Robert Carnegie
2018-08-14 18:47:48 UTC
Post by Marti Dolata
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Robert Woodward
[...]
In terms of not spinning the boat around in circles,
would it work if the boat is crescent shaped in horizontal
section - which otherwise would make it turn, too?
Bernard Peek
2018-08-14 19:10:41 UTC
Post by P. Taine
I'm unfamiliar with the romance genre, but I loved the book, despite on point at
which me suspension of disbelief almost sank totally. Having grown up in the
Hudson River Valley, in the last years of regular of regular river traffic, the
idea of a side-wheel ship with a single paddle wheel simply boggles the mind. It
just couldn't be!
In terms of not spinning the boat around in circles,
would it work if the boat is crescent shaped in horizontal
section - which otherwise would make it turn, too?
Conceptually that's equivalent to a hull with a central paddle in a
moon-pool as has already been mentioned but with one side of the pool
open. I suppose as long as the centre of thrust is aligned with the
centre of drag it should work. Maybe. Sort of.
--
Bernard Peek
***@shrdlu.com
p***@hotmail.com
2018-08-14 19:13:05 UTC
Post by Marti Dolata
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Robert Woodward
[...]
A single sidewheel seems strange to me as well. For what it's
worth, Venetian gondolas are asymmetric so as to go straight
when propelled by a single oar.

Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist

l***@usa.com
2018-08-13 03:41:03 UTC
Post by Robert Woodward
I am puzzled about his kidnapping. He was in a suite with 2 exits. The
main one was locked from the inside and had guards on the outside.
I seem to recall the later reveal that an old secret passageway was used by the previous occupant for plotting against the regime.

I'll now want to lookup the bits of the unwritten sequel. I haven't seen her much since she moved out of Pittsburgh, so I don't know how big a success she is being now.

Nils
Robert Woodward
2018-08-13 05:12:43 UTC
Post by l***@usa.com
Post by Robert Woodward
I am puzzled about his kidnapping. He was in a suite with 2 exits. The
main one was locked from the inside and had guards on the outside.
I seem to recall the later reveal that an old secret passageway was used by
the previous occupant for plotting against the regime.
That passageway was also locked from the inside, see page 227 of the
hardcover.