MAD, they called me!
2020-03-21 19:59:02 UTC
Mad, they called ME!

Me! Safely in my LAIR while mILLions succumb to psychosis and obsess
over mere TRIVIA!

When I revealed that the Earth is a cheese CRACKER they said me EcCeNtRIc!

When I demanded the world's COPRA RESERVES delivered to my post OFFICE box
they deemed me UNstable!

When I HERDED CATS they adjudged me committABLE!

When I SPLIT INfinitives, they marked me crASS!

But NO MORE, no more to silently suffer this, I SAY. I WILL speak I WILL Act!

I will let the cavils of LITTLE MINDS unable to comprehend the COSMIC aLL
hold me back no longer.

Here, here in my LOFTY eyrie, far above the madding cloud, I alone have
perceived the tRUTH. THe cosmic framework has been REVEALED to me,
the DULL frontage of mundane REALITY has fallen away. The UNIVERSE speaks
to me in exquisite crystalline whispers!

Let them call me MAD. I bear the badge proudly, for ONE MAN is not
afraid to DUE what must be DUNE.

Here, here surrounded by my LOYAL minions, I have marshalled THEM.
THem, the ON TOPIC, the RELEVANT. They swarm, they swarm in the HUNDREDS,
their CAGES rattle in their FEVERISH rage to be FREE!

STOP ME you say you will! Am I some SERIAL VILLAIN, some MONOLOGUING FOOL?

I have RELEASED THEM ALREADY and they FLY, FLY into the KNOTTED BOWELS of
RASFW. A LESSER MAN would QUAil, by my MIND IS CLEAR, my CONscience EASY.

IT IS DONE.
Lynn McGuire
2020-03-21 20:16:24 UTC
[...]
You are no-URL man to me.

2020-03-22 01:45:55 UTC
[...]
No-sfnal-URL man perhaps. Ted hosts an excellent website,
columbiaclosings.com "What's not in Columbia anymore." Ted's website
resonates with me in the same manner as "The Fabulous Ruins of Detroit"
https://www.detroityes.com/fabulous-ruins-of-detroit/index.php
Ted, it'll take me a while to read all of your reviews. But, rest
assured, they are being read.

Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``.
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,.
2020-03-22 02:07:42 UTC
[...]
☮
Thank you,
Thank You!

I got a bit tired of days without *any* non-you-know-what threads!
2020-03-22 02:16:02 UTC
[...]
And sorry about the lack of URLs, Lynn.

Normally when I post my monthly batch, I track down the Amazon listings and
provide some affiliate URLs (that would in theory make me a little if
somebody actually bought something from one), but for this batch, I made
several scripts to scrape Amazon for all my old reviews from before I started
the monthliies (there is some overlap..) and it was hard enough scraping the
title author and review text without worrying about URLs. They are all
definitely available through Amazon though!
2020-03-22 03:12:43 UTC
[...]
I am sorry, I was overly impressed and too blunt.

2020-03-22 02:40:26 UTC
That's _quite_ impressive.
2020-03-22 04:54:30 UTC
That's _quite_ impressive.
I wonder how long he had been accumulating those reviews. I was planning
to post "Coronavirus in Science Fiction" (I had found an example, just
by accident), but I will pass tonight.
‹-----------------------------------------------------
2020-03-22 11:53:10 UTC
I had no idea it was even _possible_ to spam a newsgroup with on-topic posts.

But so many on-topic posts that they can't be effectively read and replied to,
pummeling less-active threads into near-invisibility, what else can one call it?

John Savard
Gary R. Schmidt
2020-03-22 15:34:34 UTC
I had no idea it was even _possible_ to spam a newsgroup with on-topic posts.
But so many on-topic posts that they can't be effectively read and replied to,
pummeling less-active threads into near-invisibility, what else can one call it?
An *active* newsfroup, FFS.

Cheers,
Gary B-)
Waiting for a new signature to suggest itself...
Robert Woodward
2020-03-22 17:39:47 UTC
I had no idea it was even _possible_ to spam a newsgroup with on-topic posts.
But so many on-topic posts that they can't be effectively read and
replied to, pummeling less-active threads into near-invisibility,
what else can one call it?
What you do in this case is skip (or perhaps skim) all the reviews that
you aren't interested in (which was most for me).
2020-03-23 01:27:55 UTC
I had no idea it was even _possible_ to spam a newsgroup with on-topic posts.
But so many on-topic posts that they can't be effectively read and replied to,
pummeling less-active threads into near-invisibility, what else can one call it?
John Savard
For me, the headers were all downloaded in one batch so it was a simple
matter to choose authors and delete the rest.
h***@gmail.com
2020-03-23 01:34:38 UTC
I had no idea it was even _possible_ to spam a newsgroup with on-topic posts.
But so many on-topic posts that they can't be effectively read and replied to,
If 200 posts means you can't read the posts in the group you would have really struggled in the 90s.
Also note that you don't need to respond to everything (And you also don't need to post you're first thoughts about things before you investigate which you do and then later discover you were fucking wrong about everything)
an active newsgroup.
Robert Carnegie
2020-03-23 21:05:25 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
pummeling less-active threads into near-invisibility, what else can one call it?
an active newsgroup.
I don't want to /just/ read reviews here.
And if I read one of this heap every day... that'll
take most of what remains of the year.
Kevrob
2020-03-23 04:02:55 UTC
I had no idea it was even _possible_ to spam a newsgroup with on-topic posts.
But so many on-topic posts that they can't be effectively read and replied to,
pummeling less-active threads into near-invisibility, what else can one call it?
Arguably it is "flooding," but with so many off work
and looking for diversion, I judge it a welcome tide!

Actually... have all of these been posted before?
Lynn McGuire
2020-03-24 00:49:37 UTC
[...]
Dude, where is the Steven Brust ?
https://www.amazon.com/Book-Jhereg-Steven-Brust/dp/0441006159/

2020-03-24 04:08:30 UTC
[...]
Lynn
One of those authors I've always vaguely meant to pick up someday...
2020-03-24 05:49:50 UTC
[...]
Well, I enjoyed your last year's favourite but suspect we have differing
interests and tastes. Because Jibini's favourite ever book was The
Phoenix Guards, I tried it and it was brilliant. I was reading Brust's
Vlad Taltos series and really enjoying it but too many interruptions.

On 13/03/16 19:54, Lawrence Watt-Evans wrote:
snip
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
As Steven Brust says: "Don't tell me how it works, tell me what it
does."
What it does is what's important in storytelling; how it works is not.
Magewolf
2020-03-24 18:41:41 UTC
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
As Steven Brust says:  "Don't tell me how it works, tell me what it
does."
What it does is what's important in storytelling; how it works is not.
I know that is taken out of context but it is not the best advice
always. For example, you have a character starting a fire with a small
handheld object, that tells you what it does. However how it does it
can be very important depending on the story. Is it a small
disintegration device turned down to low, a cigarette lighter, a flint
and steel, a focus for using psychic power to start flames, a magic
battery that a mage could use to power a fire spell, or an amulet
dedicated to the God of fire a worshiper could use to light fires.
Titus G
2020-03-26 04:29:19 UTC
snip
Post by Magewolf
snip

 > As Steven Brust says:  "Don't tell me how it works, tell me what it
 > does."
 >
 > What it does is what's important in storytelling; how it works is not.
I know that is taken out of context but it is not the best advice
always.  For example, you have a character starting a fire with a small
handheld object, that tells you what it does.  However how it does it
can be very important depending on the story. Is it a small
disintegration device turned down to low, a cigarette lighter, a flint
and steel, a focus for using psychic power to start flames, a magic
battery that a mage could use to power a fire spell, or an amulet
dedicated to the God of fire a worshiper could use to light fires.
Yes.
My interpretation was that it is a continuum with the exclusively how
and exclusively what being extremes and that Brust's preference was for
WHAT. Your example shows the importance of HOW detail in a WHAT action
(starting a fire).
Extreme examples.
How. The Martian. A Weir. Not finished because became bored with the
arithmetical how.
What. I forgot the perfect example so will now settle for anything with
faster than light travel. (Whenever HOW is attempted, confusion or
humour often follows.)

Lynn McGuire
2020-03-24 18:41:40 UTC
[...]
I am reading that Steven Brust book right. Supposedly the best place to
start. And maybe a good place to end also according to several reviews
of his later works.