Mike Resnick's future history
2021-07-02 02:10:02 UTC
Why do humans go extinct after 18,000 years anyway? I mean I could
totally see it if we were on a single planet or solar system, but what
would kill us when when we were spread over so many systems, many of
them not even part of the Democracy/Republic/Oligarchy/Monarchy?
Lynn McGuire
2021-07-02 02:26:44 UTC
Why do humans go extinct after 18,000 years anyway?  I mean I could
totally see it if we were on a single planet or solar system, but what
would kill us when when we were spread over so many systems, many of
them not even part of the Democracy/Republic/Oligarchy/Monarchy?
Lack of will to live.

2021-07-02 02:40:38 UTC
Why do humans go extinct after 18,000 years anyway?  I mean I could
totally see it if we were on a single planet or solar system, but what
would kill us when when we were spread over so many systems, many of
them not even part of the Democracy/Republic/Oligarchy/Monarchy?
Lack of will to live.
Are you guessing, Lynn, or have you actually read any Resnick
(which, as I said upthread, I haven't) and know whereof you
speak?
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Lynn McGuire
2021-07-02 03:10:57 UTC
Why do humans go extinct after 18,000 years anyway?  I mean I could
totally see it if we were on a single planet or solar system, but what
would kill us when when we were spread over so many systems, many of
them not even part of the Democracy/Republic/Oligarchy/Monarchy?
Lack of will to live.
Are you guessing, Lynn, or have you actually read any Resnick
(which, as I said upthread, I haven't) and know whereof you
speak?
Totally guessing. I did not realize that this was a feature of the
Resnick books. I have read a few Resnick books, not many.

I seem to remember a story where a gunfighter guy jumps planet to
planet, one step ahead of the posse following him. Maybe one of the
Santiago books.

2021-07-02 03:13:58 UTC
Why do humans go extinct after 18,000 years anyway?  I mean I could
totally see it if we were on a single planet or solar system, but what
would kill us when when we were spread over so many systems, many of
them not even part of the Democracy/Republic/Oligarchy/Monarchy?
Lack of will to live.
Are you guessing, Lynn, or have you actually read any Resnick
(which, as I said upthread, I haven't) and know whereof you
speak?
Totally guessing.  I did not realize that this was a feature of the
Resnick books.  I have read a few Resnick books, not many.
I seem to remember a story where a gunfighter guy jumps planet to
planet, one step ahead of the posse following him.  Maybe one of the
Santiago books.
Lynn
I read the Widowmaker books.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003QCIQIW/

Lynn
The Horny Goat
2021-09-14 18:26:48 UTC
On Thu, 1 Jul 2021 22:10:57 -0500, Lynn McGuire
Are you guessing, Lynn, or have you actually read any Resnick
(which, as I said upthread, I haven't) and know whereof you
speak?
Totally guessing. I did not realize that this was a feature of the
Resnick books. I have read a few Resnick books, not many.
I seem to remember a story where a gunfighter guy jumps planet to
planet, one step ahead of the posse following him. Maybe one of the
Santiago books.
I read those years ago but it's been at least 10 years since I read
Resnick. Santiago and the others were good but in my opinion Resnick
hasn't done anything Joe Haldeman did better.
Dorothy J Heydt
2021-07-02 02:38:57 UTC
Why do humans go extinct after 18,000 years anyway? I mean I could
totally see it if we were on a single planet or solar system, but what
would kill us when when we were spread over so many systems, many of
them not even part of the Democracy/Republic/Oligarchy/Monarchy?
In Real Life (tm), humans have not gone extinct yet. Whether
we'll be extinct 18KY from now depends on many things, most of
which we don't know about yet (because we never do, until
afterwards).

I've never read any Resnick, so I can't give you a better answer.
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Wolffan
For Reasons of Plot.
Michael Ikeda
2021-07-02 13:47:04 UTC
Why do humans go extinct after 18,000 years anyway? I mean I
could totally see it if we were on a single planet or solar
system, but what would kill us when when we were spread over so
many systems, many of them not even part of the
Democracy/Republic/Oligarchy/Monarchy?
From what I recall from a quick skim some years ago, some time after
the Monarchy falls, some of the nonhuman governments decide that the
only way to be safe from another era of human domination is to
systematically exterminate humanity. Humans have antagonized
everyone else sufficiently that, while not all of the nonhuman
governments agree with this campaign, none of them are willing to do
anything material to stop it.
Lynn McGuire
2021-07-02 18:58:00 UTC
Post by Michael Ikeda
Post by David Johnston
Why do humans go extinct after 18,000 years anyway? I mean I
could totally see it if we were on a single planet or solar
system, but what would kill us when when we were spread over so
many systems, many of them not even part of the
Democracy/Republic/Oligarchy/Monarchy?
From what I recall from a quick skim some years ago, some time after
the Monarchy falls, some of the nonhuman governments decide that the
only way to be safe from another era of human domination is to
systematically exterminate humanity. Humans have antagonized
everyone else sufficiently that, while not all of the nonhuman
governments agree with this campaign, none of them are willing to do
anything material to stop it.
Which book is this ? I am having serious brain farts when trying to
remember Resnick's books. Especially the ones that I lost in The Great
Flood of '89.

Lynn
Michael Ikeda
2021-07-02 20:19:15 UTC
Post by Michael Ikeda
Post by David Johnston
Why do humans go extinct after 18,000 years anyway? I mean I
could totally see it if we were on a single planet or solar
system, but what would kill us when when we were spread over
so many systems, many of them not even part of the
Democracy/Republic/Oligarchy/Monarchy?
From what I recall from a quick skim some years ago, some time after
the Monarchy falls, some of the nonhuman governments decide
that the only way to be safe from another era of human
domination is to systematically exterminate humanity. Humans
have antagonized everyone else sufficiently that, while not all
of the nonhuman governments agree with this campaign, none of
them are willing to do anything material to stop it.
Which book is this ? I am having serious brain farts when
trying to remember Resnick's books. Especially the ones that I
lost in The Great Flood of '89.
Based on Wikipedia's list of Resnick's works (and also the specific
page for the Birthright book), it's probably "Birthright: The Book
of Man".
Lynn McGuire

Lynn
Default User
2021-09-14 21:36:52 UTC
Why do humans go extinct after 18,000 years anyway? I mean I could
totally see it if we were on a single planet or solar system, but what
would kill us when when we were spread over so many systems, many of
them not even part of the Democracy/Republic/Oligarchy/Monarchy?
It's been a long time since I read the book Birthright, which is written as pseudo-history of the rise and fall of human expansion and conquest. I think it was at least part losing the interest in maintaining empire and then backlash by the conquered alien species, but I could be misremembering.

Brian