YASID
Add Reply
Lee Gleason
2018-11-06 15:25:58 UTC
I'm trying to recall the name and author of a short story. I read it in an
anthology in the mid to late 80s. Stylistically it was "New Wave", so it
likely was written in the late 70s. It was set in a future where
civilization was falling apart. The thing I recall about the plot, is that
periodically, some organization would publish what the new class of "enemy"
was. These proclamations started very specifically (members of splinter
revolutionary parties, for instance), but gradually grew more general
(racial or ethnicity), until at the end, war was declared between men and
women. Does this ring any bells?
Joe Bernstein
2018-11-06 17:53:36 UTC
Post by Lee Gleason
I'm trying to recall the name and author of a short story. I read it in an
anthology in the mid to late 80s. Stylistically it was "New Wave", so
it likely was written in the late 70s. It was set in a future where
civilization was falling apart. The thing I recall about the plot, is
that periodically, some organization would publish what the new class
of "enemy" was. These proclamations started very specifically (members
of splinter revolutionary parties, for instance), but gradually grew
more general (racial or ethnicity), until at the end, war was declared
between men and women. Does this ring any bells? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That last puts "The Screwfly Solution" into mind, but I'm pretty sure
that isn't it.

-- JLB
m***@sky.com
2018-11-06 18:53:11 UTC
It doesn't fit the time, but https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_Minutes_Hate comes to mind - and seems uncomfortably prescient.
Lee Gleason
2018-11-06 19:17:01 UTC
Post by Lee Gleason
I'm trying to recall the name and author of a short story. I read it in
an anthology in the mid to late 80s. Stylistically it was "New Wave", so
it likely was written in the late 70s. It was set in a future where
civilization was falling apart. The thing I recall about the plot, is that
periodically, some organization would publish what the new class of
"enemy" was. These proclamations started very specifically (members of
splinter revolutionary parties, for instance), but gradually grew more
general (racial or ethnicity), until at the end, war was declared between
men and women. Does this ring any bells?
Someone answered in an email (in about 10 minutes after I posted) that
this was George Alec Effinger's "All The Last Wars At Once". Thanks all!

--
Lee K. Gleason N5ZMR
Control-G Consultants