YASID: Aliens Arrive on Earth in Autumn, Think They Have Poisoned the Earth
Add Reply
eleeper@optonline.net
2019-11-22 04:01:53 UTC
Like it says...

My friend remembered a story (though not the title or author) in which aliens arrive on Earth in early autumn and right after they arrive, leaves start changing color and dropping off trees. At which points the aliens are convinced that they have inadvertently poisoned the Earth.

Anyone recognize this?

Evelyn C. Leeper
Butch Malahide
2019-11-22 04:15:46 UTC
Post by ***@optonline.net
Like it says...
My friend remembered a story (though not the title or author) in which aliens arrive on Earth in early autumn and right after they arrive, leaves start changing color and dropping off trees. At which points the aliens are convinced that they have inadvertently poisoned the Earth.
Anyone recognize this?
--
Evelyn C. Leeper
That was identified here as "That Strain Again" by Charles Sheffield:

https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/211770/which-story-had-an-alien-who-mistakes-autumn-winter-for-earth-dying
Kevrob
2019-11-22 10:16:49 UTC
Post by Butch Malahide
Post by ***@optonline.net
Like it says...
My friend remembered a story (though not the title or author) in which aliens arrive on Earth in early autumn and right after they arrive, leaves start changing color and dropping off trees. At which points the aliens are convinced that they have inadvertently poisoned the Earth.
Anyone recognize this?
--
Evelyn C. Leeper
https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/211770/which-story-had-an-alien-who-mistakes-autumn-winter-for-earth-dying
These were the aliens who had to leave their ship in
one place, so they never checked the other half of the
globe? Did they fear "spreading the blight?" :)

2019-11-22 14:00:39 UTC
Post by ***@optonline.net
On Thursday, November 21, 2019 at 10:01:56 PM UTC-6,
Post by ***@optonline.net
Like it says...
My friend remembered a story (though not the title or author) in
which aliens arrive on Earth in early autumn and right after they
arrive, leaves start changing color and dropping off trees. At which
points the aliens are convinced that they have inadvertently poisoned
the Earth.
Post by ***@optonline.net
Anyone recognize this?
--
Evelyn C. Leeper
https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/211770/which-story-had-an-alien-who-mistakes-autumn-winter-for-earth-dying
These were the aliens who had to leave their ship in
one place, so they never checked the other half of the
globe? Did they fear "spreading the blight?" :)
Never read that one, so I don't know.

But it put me in mind of Christopher Anvil's "The Gentle Earth,"
in which the invading aliens, who are poikilothermic (aka
"cold-blooded", had to look up the spelling) and believe that all
the stories they hear about weather on Earth is mythology...
until winter sets in.
2019-11-22 21:43:52 UTC
Post by ***@optonline.net
Like it says...
My friend remembered a story (though not the title or author) in
which aliens arrive on Earth in early autumn and right after they
arrive, leaves start changing color and dropping off trees. At which
points the aliens are convinced that they have inadvertently poisoned
the Earth.
Post by ***@optonline.net
Anyone recognize this?
--
Evelyn C. Leeper
https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/211770/which-story-had-an-alien-who-mistakes-autumn-winter-for-earth-dying
These were the aliens who had to leave their ship in
one place, so they never checked the other half of the
globe? Did they fear "spreading the blight?" :)
Never read that one, so I don't know.
But it put me in mind of Christopher Anvil's "The Gentle Earth,"
in which the invading aliens, who are poikilothermic (aka
"cold-blooded", had to look up the spelling) and believe that all
the stories they hear about weather on Earth is mythology...
until winter sets in.
There was a short series of _Calvin and Hobbes_ cartoons,
as well. Calvin notices that it's getting colder and
darker and deduces that the world is expiring...
although he should have seen fall before, but never mind...
Dorothy J Heydt
2019-11-22 23:22:42 UTC
Post by ***@optonline.net
Like it says...
My friend remembered a story (though not the title or author) in
which aliens arrive on Earth in early autumn and right after they
arrive, leaves start changing color and dropping off trees. At which
points the aliens are convinced that they have inadvertently poisoned
the Earth.
Post by ***@optonline.net
Anyone recognize this?
--
Evelyn C. Leeper
Post by ***@optonline.net
These were the aliens who had to leave their ship in
one place, so they never checked the other half of the
globe? Did they fear "spreading the blight?" :)
Never read that one, so I don't know.
But it put me in mind of Christopher Anvil's "The Gentle Earth,"
in which the invading aliens, who are poikilothermic (aka
"cold-blooded", had to look up the spelling) and believe that all
the stories they hear about weather on Earth is mythology...
until winter sets in.
There was a short series of _Calvin and Hobbes_ cartoons,
as well. Calvin notices that it's getting colder and
darker and deduces that the world is expiring...
although he should have seen fall before, but never mind...
We never get a clue as to how old Calvin actually is, do we? If
he's five or so, he may not have any clear memories of the
previous winter.
2019-11-23 01:15:38 UTC
Post by ***@optonline.net
Like it says...
My friend remembered a story (though not the title or author) in
which aliens arrive on Earth in early autumn and right after they
arrive, leaves start changing color and dropping off trees. At which
points the aliens are convinced that they have inadvertently poisoned
the Earth.
Post by ***@optonline.net
Anyone recognize this?
--
Evelyn C. Leeper
Post by ***@optonline.net
These were the aliens who had to leave their ship in
one place, so they never checked the other half of the
globe? Did they fear "spreading the blight?" :)
Never read that one, so I don't know.
But it put me in mind of Christopher Anvil's "The Gentle Earth,"
in which the invading aliens, who are poikilothermic (aka
"cold-blooded", had to look up the spelling) and believe that all
the stories they hear about weather on Earth is mythology...
until winter sets in.
There was a short series of _Calvin and Hobbes_ cartoons,
as well. Calvin notices that it's getting colder and
darker and deduces that the world is expiring...
although he should have seen fall before, but never mind...
We never get a clue as to how old Calvin actually is, do we? If
he's five or so, he may not have any clear memories of the
previous winter.
Or he could just be a kid with an overactive imagination. :)
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?"
Bill Gill
2019-11-23 14:14:00 UTC
Post by ***@optonline.net
Like it says...
My friend remembered a story (though not the title or author) in
which aliens arrive on Earth in early autumn and right after they
arrive, leaves start changing color and dropping off trees.  At which
points the aliens are convinced that they have inadvertently poisoned
the Earth.
Post by ***@optonline.net
Anyone recognize this?
--
Evelyn C. Leeper
Post by ***@optonline.net
[...]
What? Calvin with an overactive imagination? NO it couldn't be.

Bill

eleeper@optonline.net
2019-11-22 14:42:10 UTC
Post by Butch Malahide
Post by ***@optonline.net
Like it says...
My friend remembered a story (though not the title or author) in which aliens arrive on Earth in early autumn and right after they arrive, leaves start changing color and dropping off trees. At which points the aliens are convinced that they have inadvertently poisoned the Earth.
Anyone recognize this?
--
Evelyn C. Leeper
https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/211770/which-story-had-an-alien-who-mistakes-autumn-winter-for-earth-dying