_Knifepoint: Breakers, Book 3_ by Edward W. Robertson
2018-12-02 22:41:29 UTC
_Knifepoint: Breakers, Book 3_ by Edward W. Robertson

https://www.amazon.com/Knifepoint-Breakers-Edward-W-Robertson/dp/1492184365/

Book number three of an eight book alien invasion series. I read the
well printed and bound POD (print on demand) book. I have decided to
order book number four in the series.

It has been five years since the alien invasion started. Their
bio-engineered virus killed off 99+% of humanity. Then they landed
their half mile wide space-ship in Los Angeles bay which was then
destroyed by a group of humans. Now the human survivors and the seven
foot tall deaf-mute crablike alien survivors are fighting over who owns
the Earth.

My rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars (170 reviews)

2018-12-03 00:12:12 UTC
_Knifepoint: Breakers, Book 3_ by Edward W. Robertson
https://www.amazon.com/Knifepoint-Breakers-Edward-W-Robertson/dp/1492184365/
Book number three of an eight book alien invasion series. I read the
well printed and bound POD (print on demand) book. I have decided to
order book number four in the series.
It has been five years since the alien invasion started. Their
bio-engineered virus killed off 99+% of humanity. Then they landed
their half mile wide space-ship in Los Angeles bay which was then
destroyed by a group of humans. Now the human survivors and the seven
foot tall deaf-mute crablike alien survivors are fighting over who owns
the Earth.
Due to Terran government stupidity, the Solar System becomes a takeover
target for just about every alien race in the galaxy. Mind Snatcher
scouts are the first to arrive. They systemcide all other races except
their own as a matter of policy.
Next, a group of knuckleheads (crestheads, really, with punked out
spokes on the back top of their reptilian heads) invade the wrong
system. Topides, as they're known, erroneously invade the Vega System
instead of the Solar System.

Don
D B Davis
2018-12-03 01:44:34 UTC
Post by D B Davis
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
Next, an army of knuckleheads (crestheads, really, with punked out
spokes on the back top of their reptilian heads) invade the wrong
system. Topides, as they're known, erroneously invade the Vega System
instead of the Solar System.
As an afterthought, readers probably need a little more information as
to the source of the plots outlined in my original followup. Allow me to
belatedly note that these alien invasions occur in _Perry Rhodan_'s
Third Power cycle. ROTFL.

Don
Robert Carnegie
2018-12-03 02:11:35 UTC
Post by D B Davis
Post by D B Davis
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
I don't recall human extinction in that setting, though.
Lynn requires our civilisation to be quite thoroughly destroyed.

There's an episode of _Stargate Atlantis_ in which the location
of Earth is broadcast to alien enemies... in all of the multiple
universes, as I recall. Maybe that's why all the aliens in all the universes come at us.
D B Davis
2018-12-03 02:51:29 UTC
Post by D B Davis
Post by D B Davis
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
That's the _Perry Rhodan_ story. After an alien Arkonide starship
crashes on the Moon, Terra's governments destroy it with a fusion weapon
that circumvents the vessel's antineutron screen - a meson catalytic
bomb. (The humanoid Arkonides make the mistake of underestimating Terran
inventiveness to destroy that which it does not control.)
Upon destruction, the ship sends a FTL distress signal to summon
retaliation from the mighty Arkonide Empire. The problem is that every
other two-bit tinhorn alien race also hears the galactic alarm and flies
in faster than a buzzard to take the easy pickings.

Don
Robert Carnegie
2018-12-03 08:34:43 UTC
Post by D B Davis
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by D B Davis
Post by D B Davis
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
I'd forgotten these details. But we won, right?

Further spoilers:

Perry Rhodan was either considering how to rescue the Arkonides
as well as acquiring their technology to take over the world
as benevolent dictator, or pretending while not intending actually
to give them any help, I forget which. They'd been there on the
moon for an unreasonably long time, watching TV. Then the
established Earth governments - collectively? - bombed the
crashed ship.

Then there's the bit about the X-Men...

_The 4400_ was just re-running on TV here (flying saucer abductees
return, eith a catch); early on, a comet is observed about to
intersect with Earth, so China then America launch nuclear missiles
at it. Even when it conveniently decelerates, I don't think anyone
has missiles ready for that shot - there are satellite-killers
but they're an easier target.
D B Davis
2018-12-03 16:25:53 UTC
<snip>
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by D B Davis
[...]
Ugh. Where to start?
You need to know a little bit about PR if you intend to spoil it.
(Given that it's even /possible/ to spoil a story that now spans 2674
issues.)
United States Space Force Major Rhodan leads a four man crew. The
astronauts launch the three stage Stardust rocket from Nevada Fields Air
Base. It's destined for the moon to attempt man's first landing.
An Arkonide ship crashed on the moon a few months beforehand. The
Arkonides /ought/ to have been able to repair their own ship in a few
days, except that all but two of the crew are too preoccupied with
playing a galactic video game.
The Arkonides classify Earth as primitive. It was just happenstance
that they were in the Solar System in the first place. They certainly
weren't there for the sake of yet another backward, unimportant planet
in their galactic empire.
To keep their presence on the moon hidden from Earth, the Arkonides
attempt to crash the Stardust during its initial landing on the moon.
Again, all of this is due to an Arkonide crew that's too engrossed in
video games to perform the simple repairs necessary to make their ship
spaceworthy again.
That's enough for this installment. You need to read PR if you want
to spoil it. Good reading to you and lots of luck with your spoilage
campaign.

Don
D B Davis
2018-12-03 17:45:32 UTC
Post by D B Davis
<snip>
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by D B Davis
That's the _Perry Rhodan_ story. After an alien Arkonide starship
crashes on the Moon, Terra's governments destroy it with a fusion weapon
that circumvents the vessel's antineutron screen - a meson catalytic
bomb. (The humanoid Arkonides make the mistake of underestimating Terran
inventiveness to destroy that which it does not control.)
Upon destruction, the ship sends a FTL distress signal to summon
retaliation from the mighty Arkonide Empire. The problem is that every
other two-bit tinhorn alien race also hears the galactic alarm and flies
in faster than a buzzard to take the easy pickings.
I'd forgotten these details. But we won, right?
Spoiling PR reminds me of spoiling _Superman_. (A task best left to
Kevrob, if you ask me.)
How do you spoil _Superman_? Do you reveal, "Supe's alive!" Is that
a spoiler? LOL.

Don
Robert Carnegie
2018-12-03 23:46:27 UTC
Post by D B Davis
Post by D B Davis
<snip>
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by D B Davis
That's the _Perry Rhodan_ story. After an alien Arkonide starship
crashes on the Moon, Terra's governments destroy it with a fusion weapon
that circumvents the vessel's antineutron screen - a meson catalytic
bomb. (The humanoid Arkonides make the mistake of underestimating Terran
inventiveness to destroy that which it does not control.)
Upon destruction, the ship sends a FTL distress signal to summon
retaliation from the mighty Arkonide Empire. The problem is that every
other two-bit tinhorn alien race also hears the galactic alarm and flies
in faster than a buzzard to take the easy pickings.
I'd forgotten these details. But we won, right?
Spoiling PR reminds me of spoiling _Superman_. (A task best left to
Kevrob, if you ask me.)
How do you spoil _Superman_? Do you reveal, "Supe's alive!" Is that
a spoiler? LOL.
If you mean the comic, you could reveal that (character) dies,
(character) ends up marrying (character), and I think (character)
gave up smoking. But do I speak of Nick O'Teen or someone else? :-)
D B Davis
2018-12-04 03:30:28 UTC
Post by D B Davis
Post by D B Davis
<snip>
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by D B Davis
[...]
It turns out that Nick O'Teen's the name of a Supes character. Who knew?
(Besides Kevrob and you, of course.)
Wendayne and Forrest Ackerman were the couple behind the earliest
English PR translations. Some of my 1960s-1970s MMPBs contain exactly
one jarring fullpage color plate with a cigarette ad on each side. The
eye-grabber ads stick out as only a color plate can between a hundred
pages of otherwise cheap pulp. The backstory of the ads provides an
interesting insight into the publishing and tobacco industry practices:

Ackerman was passionately anti-smoking: when he found the
publishers were inserting fullpage colour ads for cigarettes
in some early issues (a commonplace practice in paperback
publishing of the period) he retaliated by writing in lines
for the characters such as the following: “I’d glady give
you a whole carton [of cigarettes] … it’s fine by me if a
traitor to Terra wants to ride the cancer express to his own
funeral”.

https://alexcpaige.wordpress.com/2014/03/05/peacelord-of-the-universe-perry-rhodan-in-english/

BTW, as a non-smoker myself it's OK with me if other adults choose to
smoke. They know the lethal risk involved with their behavior. On the
upside, smokers can enjoy the fact that nicotine does indeed enhance
cognition.

Don
Robert Carnegie
2018-12-05 00:08:55 UTC
Post by D B Davis
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by D B Davis
Post by D B Davis
<snip>
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by D B Davis
[...]
By burning up brain cells faster, apparently. It clears out
that troublesome grey matter?
<https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/health-wellbeing/mind-body/staying-sharp/looking-after-your-thinking-skills/how-smoking-harms-the-brain/>
Gene Wirchenko
2018-12-06 17:43:47 UTC
On Tue, 4 Dec 2018 03:30:28 -0000 (UTC), D B Davis <***@crcomp.net>
wrote:

[snip]
Post by D B Davis
BTW, as a non-smoker myself it's OK with me if other adults choose to
smoke. They know the lethal risk involved with their behavior. On the
upside, smokers can enjoy the fact that nicotine does indeed enhance
cognition.
How does it work when thinking about the health risks of smoking?

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
Peter Trei
2018-12-06 17:53:38 UTC
Post by Gene Wirchenko
[snip]
Post by D B Davis
BTW, as a non-smoker myself it's OK with me if other adults choose to
smoke. They know the lethal risk involved with their behavior. On the
upside, smokers can enjoy the fact that nicotine does indeed enhance
cognition.
How does it work when thinking about the health risks of smoking?
I'm really curious about how 'vaping' affects this. It should be possible
to greatly mitigate the effects of smoking on the lungs, leaving only the
nicotine addiction.

That, by itself, may be acceptable, as caffeine addiction is today.

2018-12-06 18:16:14 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Gene Wirchenko
[snip]
Post by D B Davis
BTW, as a non-smoker myself it's OK with me if other adults choose to
smoke. They know the lethal risk involved with their behavior. On the
upside, smokers can enjoy the fact that nicotine does indeed enhance
cognition.
How does it work when thinking about the health risks of smoking?
I'm really curious about how 'vaping' affects this. It should be possible
to greatly mitigate the effects of smoking on the lungs, leaving only the
nicotine addiction.
That, by itself, may be acceptable, as caffeine addiction is today.
Personally I see nicotine addiction as bad enough that it shouldn't be
encouraged.
2018-12-06 18:45:16 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Gene Wirchenko
[snip]
Post by D B Davis
BTW, as a non-smoker myself it's OK with me if other adults choose to
smoke. They know the lethal risk involved with their behavior. On the
upside, smokers can enjoy the fact that nicotine does indeed enhance
cognition.
How does it work when thinking about the health risks of smoking?
I'm really curious about how 'vaping' affects this. It should be possible
to greatly mitigate the effects of smoking on the lungs, leaving only the
nicotine addiction.
That, by itself, may be acceptable, as caffeine addiction is today.
pt
Nicotine causes the blood vessels to constrict. Not good if those
vessels are small or partially occluded.

http://www.impella.com/blog/how-tobacco-affects-the-heart-and-blood-vessels/

Lynn
Gary R. Schmidt
2018-12-07 11:49:32 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Gene Wirchenko
[snip]
Post by D B Davis
BTW, as a non-smoker myself it's OK with me if other adults choose to
smoke. They know the lethal risk involved with their behavior. On the
upside, smokers can enjoy the fact that nicotine does indeed enhance
cognition.
      How does it work when thinking about the health risks of smoking?
I'm really curious about how 'vaping' affects this. It should be possible
to greatly mitigate the effects of smoking on the lungs, leaving only the
nicotine addiction.
That, by itself, may be acceptable, as caffeine addiction is today.
pt
Nicotine causes the blood vessels to constrict.  Not good if those
vessels are small or partially occluded.
http://www.impella.com/blog/how-tobacco-affects-the-heart-and-blood-vessels/
But nicotine can be surprisingly effective in suppressing the Ulcerative
Colitis variant of Inflammatory Bowel Disease.

See here <https://espace.library.uq.edu.au/view/UQ:253675> for some
research on it.

Disclaimer: I have Crohn's Disease, so know far too much about IBD.

Cheers.
Gary B-)
--
When men talk to their friends, they insult each other.
They don't really mean it.
They don't mean it either.
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2018-12-03 02:45:57 UTC
Post by D B Davis
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
Be assured that Topide Karma is a female dog.
2018-12-03 23:04:58 UTC
Post by D B Davis
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]

Thank you,
Have you thought about providing a review of each Perry Rhodan book ? I
for one would like them. I reviewed #1 on here a couple of years ago.

2018-12-03 23:28:49 UTC
Post by D B Davis
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
That makes sense. It's also a good way to contain my little habit to one
thread at a time. Yes, it's time to do it.

Don
Robert Carnegie
2018-12-03 01:27:08 UTC
_Knifepoint: Breakers, Book 3_ by Edward W. Robertson
https://www.amazon.com/Knifepoint-Breakers-Edward-W-Robertson/dp/1492184365/
Book number three of an eight book alien invasion series. I read the
well printed and bound POD (print on demand) book. I have decided to
order book number four in the series.
It has been five years since the alien invasion started. Their
bio-engineered virus killed off 99+% of humanity. Then they landed
their half mile wide space-ship in Los Angeles bay which was then
destroyed by a group of humans. Now the human survivors and the seven
foot tall deaf-mute crablike alien survivors are fighting over who owns
the Earth.
My rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars (170 reviews)
Lynn
That's big crabs. Seven of them, and each a foot tall.

Are both of us now doing this deliberately?
Titus G
2018-12-03 02:46:31 UTC
[...]
Seven crabs having a scrap with some LA "humans", ha ha ha, is going to
be of no interest to most people worldwide still alive five years after
99+% of their neighbours died. However, I have absolutely no taste
whatsoever so will say: My rating: 4.4 out of 5 black holes.
Even though a compromise, whereby the crabs live in rock pools near the
LA bay and the remaining less than 01-% of LA humans get to investigate
the refrigerators of Mulholland Drive, would be a merciful 4 book ending
to an 8 book series.
Should this book be shelved as Horror or snuck in with the EMP disaster
loonies who won't figure out there is no EMP event but will keep reading
anyway because no thought required will be guaranteed?