"Komarr (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures)" by Lois McMaster Bujold
2021-07-29 04:40:56 UTC
"Komarr (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures)" by Lois McMaster Bujold
https://www.amazon.com/Komarr-Vorkosigan-Adventures-McMaster-Bujold/dp/0671578
081/
<snip>
Imperial Auditor Miles Vorkosigan and Imperial Auditor Professor Vorthys
have been sent to the planet Komarr by the Barrayar Emperor Gregor
Vorbarra to investigate the crash of an ore miner space ship into the
soletta space mirror that is slowly warming the iceball planet. Over
half of the life giving mirror has been destroyed, the mirror was built
three hundred years ago at incredible expense. The resulting level of
mystery has Miles exclaiming "We have advanced to new and surprising
levels of bafflement" at one point.
IIRC, Professor Vorthys was sent to Komarr to do the investigation;
Miles sent himself.
2021-07-29 19:38:28 UTC
Post by Robert Woodward
"Komarr (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures)" by Lois McMaster Bujold
https://www.amazon.com/Komarr-Vorkosigan-Adventures-McMaster-Bujold/dp/0671578
081/
<snip>
Imperial Auditor Miles Vorkosigan and Imperial Auditor Professor Vorthys
have been sent to the planet Komarr by the Barrayar Emperor Gregor
Vorbarra to investigate the crash of an ore miner space ship into the
soletta space mirror that is slowly warming the iceball planet. Over
half of the life giving mirror has been destroyed, the mirror was built
three hundred years ago at incredible expense. The resulting level of
mystery has Miles exclaiming "We have advanced to new and surprising
levels of bafflement" at one point.
IIRC, Professor Vorthys was sent to Komarr to do the investigation;
Miles sent himself.
That was not my impression. Miles was sent directly by Gregor for his
space ship experience.

2021-07-29 20:49:23 UTC
Post by Robert Woodward
[...]
There's an argument for either interpretation.

"Vorkosigan's smile twisted. "I have some experience with space installations."
He leaned back, and jerked up his chin, and smoothed the odd flash of irony from
his face. "In fact, as far as the probable-cause investigation goes, I'm merely
along for the ride. This is the first really interesting problem to come along
since I took oath as an Auditor three months ago. I wanted to watch how it was done.
With his Komarran marriage coming up, Gregor is vitally interested in any
possible political repercussions from this accident."
Robert Woodward
2021-07-30 04:44:40 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Robert Woodward
[...]
That's not much of an argument for Lynn's interpretation. I will also
point out Professor Vorthys comment in chapter 3:

"Vorkosigan, being a well-brought-up young man, is polite to my white
hairs, but he's an independent Auditor in his own right, and goes just
where he pleases. At present it pleases him to study my methods. I shall
certainly take the opportunity to study his."
‹-----------------------------------------------------
2021-07-30 20:58:07 UTC
Post by Robert Woodward
Post by Scott Lurndal
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Robert Woodward
[...]
You are slowly bringing me over to your thought.

I imagine that Miles and Professor Vorthys rode over in an Imperial
Courier for the speed.

2021-07-30 16:31:12 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
Post by Robert Woodward
[...]
seem to indicate that Miles' participation was his idea. The final
sentence appears to be the reason that Gregor endorsed his junket.
If the investigators are using their own transport,
then it appears that Gregor is responsible for there
being a ride for Miles to be merely along for.

For some reason, I'm thinking of the actress and
her agent whose deal for some work included -
they thought - her credit being specified as
"And (Actress's Name)", which it was not.
The agent calls up to complain, "It should be 'And',
it should be 'And'," and is told, "Stop making a fuss
or it will be 'But'."