Glen Cook Short Stories
Add Reply
BCFD36
2020-01-09 08:47:29 UTC
I have been reading a collection of short stories by Glen Cook. I'm
probably about 1/2 way through. I ran across two that I will lump
together as the "Vengeful Dragon Stories". I'm probably not the only one
to do so. Maybe even G.C. himself. To me, they seem to be a
foreshadowing of the Black Company.

Foreshadowing is probably not the right word. I can see where the idea
was massaged around and restructured and pounded on a bit and became the
Black Company: Band of really nasty guys, murky backgrounds, known only
by nicknames, them against the world.

Any thoughts?
--
Dave Scruggs
Captain, Boulder Creek Fire (Retired)
Sr. Software Engineer - Stellar Solutions (Probably Retired)
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2020-01-09 12:52:34 UTC
Post by BCFD36
I have been reading a collection of short stories by Glen Cook. I'm
probably about 1/2 way through. I ran across two that I will lump
together as the "Vengeful Dragon Stories". I'm probably not the only one
to do so. Maybe even G.C. himself. To me, they seem to be a
foreshadowing of the Black Company.
Foreshadowing is probably not the right word. I can see where the idea
was massaged around and restructured and pounded on a bit and became the
Black Company: Band of really nasty guys, murky backgrounds, known only
by nicknames, them against the world.
Any thoughts?
Not at all uncommon for an author to commit short-story, discover there's more
to say in that world, and end up with ten novels.

Would be easier to judge in this case if you mentioned the collection and/or
the titles of the two shorts!

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Remember, if something is on the news that means it's rare
enough that you shouldn't worry about it. It's the things
should worry about. -- Stephen Sprunk
-dsr-
2020-01-09 15:10:59 UTC
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by BCFD36
I have been reading a collection of short stories by Glen Cook. I'm
probably about 1/2 way through. I ran across two that I will lump
together as the "Vengeful Dragon Stories". I'm probably not the only one
to do so. Maybe even G.C. himself. To me, they seem to be a
foreshadowing of the Black Company.
Foreshadowing is probably not the right word. I can see where the idea
was massaged around and restructured and pounded on a bit and became the
Black Company: Band of really nasty guys, murky backgrounds, known only
by nicknames, them against the world.
Any thoughts?
Not at all uncommon for an author to commit short-story, discover there's more
to say in that world, and end up with ten novels.
Or to use a short story or novella to test out some ideas, then decide that
the ideas are good but continuity wouldn't work, so let's start again.

Charlie Stross: A Colder War, for instance, reworked with more humor
and characters into the Laundry series.

-dsr-
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-01-09 19:24:20 UTC
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by BCFD36
I have been reading a collection of short stories by Glen Cook. I'm
probably about 1/2 way through. I ran across two that I will lump
together as the "Vengeful Dragon Stories". I'm probably not the only one
to do so. Maybe even G.C. himself. To me, they seem to be a
foreshadowing of the Black Company.
Foreshadowing is probably not the right word. I can see where the idea
was massaged around and restructured and pounded on a bit and became the
Black Company: Band of really nasty guys, murky backgrounds, known only
by nicknames, them against the world.
Any thoughts?
Not at all uncommon for an author to commit short-story, discover there's more
to say in that world, and end up with ten novels.
Patricia Wrede did something like that, because the novel is her
natural length (and she eventually learned to write salable short
stories after getting several salable novels under her belt).
Editors would return her stories with ~"this looks like Chapter
Four of a novel; send me Chapters One through Three and Five
through Last."
2020-01-11 22:52:46 UTC
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by BCFD36
I have been reading a collection of short stories by Glen Cook. I'm
probably about 1/2 way through.
Would be easier to judge in this case if you mentioned the collection and/or
the titles of the two shorts!
Given the timing, I'm nominating the recent "Best of Glen Cook" hardback
collection.

Dave, it's on my to-buy-in-paperback list
BCFD36
2020-01-13 01:49:43 UTC
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by BCFD36
I have been reading a collection of short stories by Glen Cook. I'm
probably about 1/2 way through. I ran across two that I will lump
together as the "Vengeful Dragon Stories". I'm probably not the only one
to do so. Maybe even G.C. himself. To me, they seem to be a
foreshadowing of the Black Company.
Foreshadowing is probably not the right word. I can see where the idea
was massaged around and restructured and pounded on a bit and became the
Black Company: Band of really nasty guys, murky backgrounds, known only
by nicknames, them against the world.
Any thoughts?
Not at all uncommon for an author to commit short-story, discover there's more
to say in that world, and end up with ten novels.
Would be easier to judge in this case if you mentioned the collection and/or
the titles of the two shorts!
Cheers - Jaimie
It is in the "Best of Glen Cook" collection. I have only read the three
from the Black Company before. The rest are new. And I like them.

The "Vengeful Dragon" stories were not Black Company or even in that
world. But they had the feeling. An ancestor so to speak.