Halcyon Drift.
2019-11-29 02:43:17 UTC
Halcyon Drift, a stand alone novel is the first in the Hooded Swan
series by Brian Stableford. I haven't kept the post recommending this
but am sure it was from here so thank you for an interesting read.

A shipwrecked loner, Grainger is coerced to fly a new spacecraft, (a
combination of human and alien technologies), to find a lost treasure
heralded by the now 80 year bleeping of its crashed spaceships emergency
signal. With many complications and plausible settings he censored by
spoiler police. Little suspense but interesting and an easy flowing read
though much of the descriptive science was more imagination than
physics. The exposition of a fascinating background was well interweaved
with the development of Graiger's situation. The characters and their
interactions were interesting. I will read the next in the series.
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2019-11-29 03:32:58 UTC
Post by Titus G
Halcyon Drift, a stand alone novel is the first in the Hooded Swan
series by Brian Stableford. I haven't kept the post recommending this
but am sure it was from here so thank you for an interesting read.
A shipwrecked loner, Grainger is coerced to fly a new spacecraft, (a
combination of human and alien technologies), to find a lost treasure
heralded by the now 80 year bleeping of its crashed spaceships emergency
signal. With many complications and plausible settings he censored by
spoiler police. Little suspense but interesting and an easy flowing read
though much of the descriptive science was more imagination than
physics. The exposition of a fascinating background was well interweaved
with the development of Graiger's situation. The characters and their
interactions were interesting. I will read the next in the series.
I am not sure that "stand alone" is exactly the description, since it
does start a series, and does not end with Grainger out of his prediciments..

I enjoyed all of these, though they were very 70s (and British 70s
at that) and I sometimes wanted to smack Grainger. Eventually
though he would do something close to the right thing, albeit with
lots of whinging.

Stableford's next DAW series, I did not like as well at all. I liked
some of his now-DAW books, though sometimes his gloom and repeated motifs
got to be a bit much.
2019-12-01 02:03:14 UTC
Post by Titus G
[...]
Yes, and yes. You are right. I used "stand alone" to mean that it was a
complete story in itself. No cliffhanging by fingertips on the last page
as a villian escapes to return in the next book.
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
I enjoyed all of these, though they were very 70s (and British 70s
at that) and I sometimes wanted to smack Grainger. Eventually
though he would do something close to the right thing, albeit with
lots of whinging.
I liked Grainger but have read only book 1. Despite being a space hermit
even when with Lapthorne, he was adept at analysing people's motivations
and manipulating them. Very strong-willed, focused, and rational. I was
thinking pragmatic but there was an aspect of "Damn the torpedos, full
speed ahead" when dealing with people. The "Wind" in his head was a
little weird and the imaginative space of the Drift was confusing with
flying sequences too long.
got to be a bit much.
William Hyde
2019-12-01 19:17:10 UTC
Post by Titus G
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by Titus G
[...]
I read these when they came out. I liked the first, and it seemed to me they got better as the series went on.

William Hyde
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2019-12-01 19:20:35 UTC
Post by Titus G
Post by Titus G
Yes, and yes. You are right. I used "stand alone" to mean that it was a
complete story in itself. No cliffhanging by fingertips on the last page
as a villian escapes to return in the next book.
I read these when they came out. I liked the first, and it seemed to me
they got better as the series went on.
William Hyde
I definitely did like them, and was always happy to see a new one on the rack.
My frunstration with Grainger never kept me from enjoying them. I suspect
were I to re-read them now at 59, he would seem much more reasonable.