BC: Kidney Stones and Aliens
2021-09-01 17:34:14 UTC
BC: Kidney Stones and Aliens
https://www.gocomics.com/bc/2021/09/01

Ok, I gotta wonder. What does the BC version of the Aliens movie look
like ? Maybe the T-Rex and the Velociraptors mated for a hybrid ?

2021-09-01 18:50:57 UTC
BC: Kidney Stones and Aliens
https://www.gocomics.com/bc/2021/09/01
Ok, I gotta wonder. What does the BC version of the Aliens movie look
like ? Maybe the T-Rex and the Velociraptors mated for a hybrid ?
BC is all completely fictional, let's not forget. In the real
Paleolithic, they had neither movies nor means of diagnosing a
kidney stone.

That said, I don't follow the strip; how similar are the T-rex
and the velociraptors, discounting size?
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Lynn McGuire
2021-09-01 19:16:12 UTC
BC: Kidney Stones and Aliens
https://www.gocomics.com/bc/2021/09/01
Ok, I gotta wonder. What does the BC version of the Aliens movie look
like ? Maybe the T-Rex and the Velociraptors mated for a hybrid ?
BC is all completely fictional, let's not forget. In the real
Paleolithic, they had neither movies nor means of diagnosing a
kidney stone.
That said, I don't follow the strip; how similar are the T-rex
and the velociraptors, discounting size?
The T-Rex is about 3X the size of the velociraptor.

And in BC, the movies are drawn on the cave walls. The bigger the cave,
the longer the movie !

2021-09-03 16:04:46 UTC
On Thu, 2 Sep 2021 17:24:40 -0400, John W Kennedy
BC: Kidney Stones and Aliens
    https://www.gocomics.com/bc/2021/09/01
Ok, I gotta wonder.  What does the BC version of the Aliens movie look
like ?  Maybe the T-Rex and the Velociraptors mated for a hybrid ?
BC is all completely fictional, let's not forget.  In the real
Paleolithic, they had neither movies nor means of diagnosing a
kidney stone.
That said, I don't follow the strip; how similar are the T-rex
and the velociraptors, discounting size?
The T-Rex is about 3X the size of the velociraptor.
That’s according to Spielberg, In reality, a velociraptor came up to a
man’s knee.
That, it appears, is because Spielberg's "were based on members of the
related genus Deinonychus". Which, apparently, were also feathered
bipedal carnivores.
p***@hotmail.com
2021-09-04 16:15:56 UTC
Post by Paul S Person
On Thu, 2 Sep 2021 17:24:40 -0400, John W Kennedy
That said, I don't follow the strip; how similar are the T-rex
and the velociraptors, discounting size?
The T-Rex is about 3X the size of the velociraptor.
That’s according to Spielberg, In reality, a velociraptor came up to a
man’s knee.
That, it appears, is because Spielberg's "were based on members of the
related genus Deinonychus". Which, apparently, were also feathered
bipedal carnivores.
From what I've read, the raptors in _Jurassic Park_ were depicted as being somewhat
larger than Deinonychus but very close to Utahraptor in terms of height and length;
Utahraptor had been discovered but not classified and named at that time. Further
fossil discoveries indicate that Utahraptor was more heavily built than Deinonychus
or Velociraptor and thus likely not as fast.

Peter Wezeman
anti=social Darwinist
Paul S Person
2021-09-05 15:45:59 UTC
On Sat, 04 Sep 2021 12:49:16 -0400, J. Clarke
Post by p***@hotmail.com
Post by Paul S Person
On Thu, 2 Sep 2021 17:24:40 -0400, John W Kennedy
That said, I don't follow the strip; how similar are the T-rex
and the velociraptors, discounting size?
The T-Rex is about 3X the size of the velociraptor.
That’s according to Spielberg, In reality, a velociraptor came up to a
man’s knee.
That, it appears, is because Spielberg's "were based on members of the
related genus Deinonychus". Which, apparently, were also feathered
bipedal carnivores.
From what I've read, the raptors in _Jurassic Park_ were depicted as being somewhat
larger than Deinonychus but very close to Utahraptor in terms of height and length;
Utahraptor had been discovered but not classified and named at that time. Further
fossil discoveries indicate that Utahraptor was more heavily built than Deinonychus
or Velociraptor and thus likely not as fast.
The speed of predators may be important if you're, say, a gazelle, but
for humans any of them are fast enough. When approached by a raptor f
the size depicted in Jurassic Park, you options are "win the fight"
(unlikely if you do not have effective weapons--I suspect a lion spear
would do the trick if there's only one of them), "climb high", if
there is a convenient tree, and assuming that raptors can't climb,
which may be an error, or "run faster than your budddy".
As the film was illustrating neatly at the end, until the T Rex ex
machina showed up.

Presumably because the writers couldn't come up with anything better.

Schmucks.
Andrew McDowell
Kidney stones are not easy to miss, if you have one. https://www.kidneystoners.org/information/history-of-stones/ dates treatments (no indication of effectiveness) to Egypt 1500BC. If some area of the paleolithic had semi-edible plants that increased the risk of kidney stones or some disease likewise, it might have occurred often enough to be recognised.
Dorothy J Heydt
2021-09-01 21:40:14 UTC
Post by Andrew McDowell
Post by Lynn McGuire
BC: Kidney Stones and Aliens
https://www.gocomics.com/bc/2021/09/01
Ok, I gotta wonder. What does the BC version of the Aliens movie look
like ? Maybe the T-Rex and the Velociraptors mated for a hybrid ?
BC is all completely fictional, let's not forget. In the real
Paleolithic, they had neither movies nor means of diagnosing a
kidney stone.
That said, I don't follow the strip; how similar are the T-rex
and the velociraptors, discounting size?
Kidney stones are not easy to miss, if you have one.
Oh, yes. Meg had one once and she got very eloquent about how
much it hurt.

But in the real Paleolithic they wouldn't *know* what was wrong
with the patient, only that he hurt like hell.

BC is a fantasy. That's all right. But it discourages any
serious speculation about the DNA of carnosaurs.
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Paul S Person
2021-09-02 16:13:30 UTC
On Wed, 1 Sep 2021 12:55:45 -0700 (PDT), Andrew McDowell
Post by Andrew McDowell
Post by Lynn McGuire
BC: Kidney Stones and Aliens
https://www.gocomics.com/bc/2021/09/01
Ok, I gotta wonder. What does the BC version of the Aliens movie look
like ? Maybe the T-Rex and the Velociraptors mated for a hybrid ?
BC is all completely fictional, let's not forget. In the real
Paleolithic, they had neither movies nor means of diagnosing a
kidney stone.
That said, I don't follow the strip; how similar are the T-rex
and the velociraptors, discounting size?
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Kidney stones are not easy to miss, if you have one. https://www.kidneystoners.org/information/history-of-stones/ dates treatments (no indication of effectiveness) to Egypt 1500BC. If some area of the paleolithic had semi-edible plants that increased the risk of kidney stones or some disease likewise, it might have occurred often enough to be recognised.
IIRC, surgeons who could get in quick and out quicker were prized by
the Ancients as removing the Stone with as little pain as possible.
2021-09-02 16:39:27 UTC
Post by Andrew McDowell
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
What's your chronological range for "the Ancients"?
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
J. Clarke
2021-09-02 21:46:01 UTC
Post by Andrew McDowell
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
Turns out that's a hard question. There's a book, "Sushruta Samhita",
that depending on who you listen to could date anywhere from several
thousand BC to 500 AD. It would not be later than 500 AD as that is
the date of the earliest known surviving copies.

Here's a video discussing its age

I know nothing about the speaker, he may be the world's expert or some
random nutcake so take it for what it's worth.
pete...@gmail.com
2021-09-03 02:41:19 UTC
Post by Andrew McDowell
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
The 'Stone' referred to here is a bladder stone, and its removal was
described by the Roman doctor Celsus.

The first kidney stone removal seems less sure, but goes back at
least to the 16th century.

When I had one, its removal involved fiber optic lasers.

2021-09-03 16:06:26 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by Andrew McDowell
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
Many decades ago, one of my cousins was treated for one using
ultrasound. To dissolve it, apparently.

I have no idea how well it worked, but he did survive.
2021-09-03 16:13:36 UTC
Post by Andrew McDowell
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
Generally, Classical Greece and Rome. Perhaps a bit older. I suppose
500 BC (or before, in, say, India or China) and 500 AD.

For this /specifically/, it appears I am confusing "kidney stone" with
"bladder stone".

Speed was prized because, of course, they had /no/ anesthesia back
then. Also, the longer the wound was open, the more likely it was to
get infected, and they had no antibiotics either.

The Roman Celsus (as opposed to the Greek Celsus) referred to
elsewhere appears to have been around in 25-50 AD.
2021-09-02 19:46:25 UTC
BC: Kidney Stones and Aliens
https://www.gocomics.com/bc/2021/09/01
Ok, I gotta wonder. What does the BC version of the Aliens movie look
like ? Maybe the T-Rex and the Velociraptors mated for a hybrid ?
BC is all completely fictional, let's not forget. In the real
Paleolithic, they had neither movies nor means of diagnosing a
kidney stone.
That said, I don't follow the strip; how similar are the T-rex
and the velociraptors, discounting size?
Both theropods, running on two three-toed feet. But they're not counted
as the same family (as well as we can judge that), so maybe about as
close as cats and dogs.
I'd have loved to see the paleolithic ultrasound contraption.
Oh, me too. Probably consisting of the local shaman ingesting
something and seeing visions.
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
John W Kennedy
2021-09-02 21:21:14 UTC
BC: Kidney Stones and Aliens
https://www.gocomics.com/bc/2021/09/01
Ok, I gotta wonder. What does the BC version of the Aliens movie look
like ? Maybe the T-Rex and the Velociraptors mated for a hybrid ?
BC is all completely fictional, let's not forget. In the real
Paleolithic, they had neither movies nor means of diagnosing a
kidney stone.
They might have; it’s one of the oldest-known diseases.