Dilbert: No Interruptions at Home
2020-05-15 18:25:40 UTC
Dilbert: No Interruptions at Home
https://dilbert.com/strip/2020-05-15

Please no !

And I cannot imagine quarantining at home with Dogbert. That would be
cruel.

2020-05-16 01:11:05 UTC
Dilbert: No Interruptions at Home
https://dilbert.com/strip/2020-05-15
Please no !
And I cannot imagine quarantining at home with Dogbert. That would be
cruel.
Do they live together ordinarily?
2020-05-16 03:03:10 UTC
Dilbert: No Interruptions at Home
https://dilbert.com/strip/2020-05-15
Please no !
And I cannot imagine quarantining at home with Dogbert. That would be
cruel.
Do they live together ordinarily?
I think so ? Plus Catbert, and ???

2020-05-16 03:14:52 UTC
Dilbert: No Interruptions at Home
    https://dilbert.com/strip/2020-05-15
Please no !
And I cannot imagine quarantining at home with Dogbert.  That would be
cruel.
Do they live together ordinarily?
I think so ?  Plus Catbert, and ???
Ratbert but I don't think Ratbert has been seen for a while. (Catbert
is head of HR.)
<to be filled in at a later date>
Peter Trei
2020-05-16 03:41:41 UTC
Dilbert: No Interruptions at Home
    https://dilbert.com/strip/2020-05-15
Please no !
And I cannot imagine quarantining at home with Dogbert.  That would be
cruel.
Do they live together ordinarily?
I think so ?  Plus Catbert, and ???
Ratbert but I don't think Ratbert has been seen for a while. (Catbert
is head of HR.)
Early on, there were also a couple of dinosaurs. They hadn't gone extinct, they'd just
been hiding behind the couch.

Pt
Jerry Brown
2020-05-16 07:01:32 UTC
On Fri, 15 May 2020 20:41:41 -0700 (PDT), Peter Trei
Post by Peter Trei
Dilbert: No Interruptions at Home
    https://dilbert.com/strip/2020-05-15
Please no !
And I cannot imagine quarantining at home with Dogbert.  That would be
cruel.
Do they live together ordinarily?
I think so ?  Plus Catbert, and ???
Ratbert but I don't think Ratbert has been seen for a while. (Catbert
is head of HR.)
Early on, there were also a couple of dinosaurs. They hadn't gone extinct, they'd just
been hiding behind the couch.
I did like that Adams waited for a decade before referencing them in a
COBOL programmer joke.
--
Jerry Brown

A cat may look at a king
(but probably won't bother)
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-05-16 13:49:15 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
been hiding behind the couch.
I did like that Adams waited for a decade before referencing them in a
COBOL programmer joke.
Can you remember it? Or provide a link? Hal is still asleep,
but when he wakes up he might appreciate a COBOl joke.
Thomas Koenig
2020-05-16 14:28:08 UTC
Can you remember it? Or provide a link? Hal is still asleep,
but when he wakes up he might appreciate a COBOl joke.
Here's something from the gcc bugzilla quip file.

# A COBOL programmer's husband asks, "Honey can you go to the store
# and get some milk. And if they have eggs, get a dozen." After twenty
# minutes she returns and flops 12 bags of milk on the table. He looks
# at her curiously, "Honey, why did you do that?" She responds flatly,
# "They had eggs."
Robert Carnegie
2020-05-16 15:22:43 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
been hiding behind the couch.
I did like that Adams waited for a decade before referencing them in a
COBOL programmer joke.
Can you remember it? Or provide a link? Hal is still asleep,
but when he wakes up he might appreciate a COBOl joke.
I suspect it's the top one on
<https://dilbert.com/search_results?terms=Cobol>
if that's "Tuesday November 04, 1997" when you get it.

COBOL appears to be not mentioned after June 2000!

Catbert appears to be the household pet of
Dilbert's unnamed female counterpart who appeared
Once only, in 1992.
<https://dilbert.com/search_results?sort=date_asc&terms=Catbert>

...if that tagged "Catbert" is (despite colour)
the same one.

The next appearance (probably) is when Dogbert,
maybe in consultant mode, appoints a new
HR director and explains what traits he looked for.
Jerry Brown
2020-05-16 17:04:09 UTC
On Sat, 16 May 2020 08:22:43 -0700 (PDT), Robert Carnegie
Post by Peter Trei
been hiding behind the couch.
I did like that Adams waited for a decade before referencing them in a
COBOL programmer joke.
Can you remember it? Or provide a link? Hal is still asleep,
but when he wakes up he might appreciate a COBOl joke.
I suspect it's the top one on
<https://dilbert.com/search_results?terms=Cobol>
if that's "Tuesday November 04, 1997" when you get it.
That's the one. It's earlier than I thought, so maybe I first saw a
reprint during the 2000s and didn't notice the date.
--
Jerry Brown

A cat may look at a king
(but probably won't bother)
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-05-16 21:12:04 UTC
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by Peter Trei
been hiding behind the couch.
I did like that Adams waited for a decade before referencing them in a
COBOL programmer joke.
Can you remember it? Or provide a link? Hal is still asleep,
but when he wakes up he might appreciate a COBOl joke.
I suspect it's the top one on
<https://dilbert.com/search_results?terms=Cobol>
if that's "Tuesday November 04, 1997" when you get it.
That was the one, thanks. Hal chuckled when I read them off.

I dare say there are some circumstances under which Hal would be
willing to do some COBOL programming ... but not for free, and
not in New Jersey.
Post by Lynn McGuire
COBOL appears to be not mentioned after June 2000!
Gee, I wonder why.
Post by Lynn McGuire
Catbert appears to be the household pet of
Dilbert's unnamed female counterpart who appeared
Once only, in 1992.
<https://dilbert.com/search_results?sort=date_asc&terms=Catbert>
...if that tagged "Catbert" is (despite colour)
the same one.
Well, he behaves like [a dog person's idea of] a cat.
2020-05-16 22:28:25 UTC
Dilbert: No Interruptions at Home
    https://dilbert.com/strip/2020-05-15
Please no !
And I cannot imagine quarantining at home with Dogbert.  That would be
cruel.
Do they live together ordinarily?
I think so ?  Plus Catbert, and ???
Ratbert but I don't think Ratbert has been seen for a while.  (Catbert
is head of HR.)
I forgot about Ratbert.

2020-05-17 16:42:07 UTC
On Sat, 16 May 2020 17:28:25 -0500, Lynn McGuire
Dilbert: No Interruptions at Home
    https://dilbert.com/strip/2020-05-15
Please no !
And I cannot imagine quarantining at home with Dogbert.  That would be
cruel.
Do they live together ordinarily?
I think so ?  Plus Catbert, and ???
Ratbert but I don't think Ratbert has been seen for a while.  (Catbert
is head of HR.)
I forgot about Ratbert.
How about Phil, Prince of Dimness, who carries a large spoon?

There was also a Denier of IT Resources (IIRC).
2020-05-17 17:08:26 UTC
Post by Paul S Person
On Sat, 16 May 2020 17:28:25 -0500, Lynn McGuire
Dilbert: No Interruptions at Home
    https://dilbert.com/strip/2020-05-15
Please no !
And I cannot imagine quarantining at home with Dogbert.  That would be
cruel.
Do they live together ordinarily?
I think so ?  Plus Catbert, and ???
Ratbert but I don't think Ratbert has been seen for a while.  (Catbert
is head of HR.)
I forgot about Ratbert.
How about Phil, Prince of Dimness, who carries a large spoon?
Prince of Insufficient Light
Post by Paul S Person
There was also a Denier of IT Resources (IIRC).
Mordac
Mark Jackson
2020-05-17 17:20:20 UTC
Post by Paul S Person
On Sat, 16 May 2020 17:28:25 -0500, Lynn McGuire
Dilbert: No Interruptions at Home
    https://dilbert.com/strip/2020-05-15
Please no !
And I cannot imagine quarantining at home with Dogbert.  That would be
cruel.
Do they live together ordinarily?
I think so ?  Plus Catbert, and ???
Ratbert but I don't think Ratbert has been seen for a while.  (Catbert
is head of HR.)
I forgot about Ratbert.
How about Phil, Prince of Dimness, who carries a large spoon?
Prince of Insufficient Light
He's also the PHB's brother.
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by Paul S Person
There was also a Denier of IT Resources (IIRC).
Mordac
Preventer of Information Services.
After a certain point in one's career, the worry that
they'll finally notice your true absence of talent
morphs into worrying that they'll finally notice
that you've Lost It. - William Gibson
Paul S Person
2020-05-18 16:38:11 UTC
On Sun, 17 May 2020 13:20:20 -0400, Mark Jackson
Post by Mark Jackson
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by Paul S Person
There was also a Denier of IT Resources (IIRC).
Mordac
Preventer of Information Services.
Thanks to both for sharpening my memory!
2020-05-18 16:43:53 UTC
Post by Mark Jackson
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by Paul S Person
There was also a Denier of IT Resources (IIRC).
Mordac
Preventer of Information Services.
Thanks to both for sharpening my memory!
And there's "Ted the generic guy". Whenever he needs a redshirt to get
fired or killed, it's 'Ted'. Somehow I noticed that one.. :-)
Mark Jackson
2020-05-18 17:40:14 UTC
And there's "Ted the generic guy". Whenever he needs a redshirt to
get fired or killed, it's 'Ted'. Somehow I noticed that one.. :-)
When Scott Adams was laid off from Pacific Bell (ostensibly due to
budget cuts, although his new manager wasn't a fan of the strip) he
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
"The only issue was that my boss pleaded with me not to introduce a
character with a beard," he said.
This was August of 1995; I believe "Ted" first appeared a few months
later in this strip:

https://dilbert.com/strip/1996-01-03

I can't find a reference validating that Adams' last boss was named Ted,
but the subsequent treatment of Ted the generic guy is suggestive.
Kevrob
2020-05-20 17:34:17 UTC
Post by Paul S Person
On Sat, 16 May 2020 17:28:25 -0500, Lynn McGuire
Dilbert: No Interruptions at Home
    https://dilbert.com/strip/2020-05-15
Please no !
And I cannot imagine quarantining at home with Dogbert.  That would be
cruel.
Do they live together ordinarily?
I think so ?  Plus Catbert, and ???
Ratbert but I don't think Ratbert has been seen for a while.  (Catbert
is head of HR.)
I forgot about Ratbert.
How about Phil, Prince of Dimness, who carries a large spoon?
watch out for Phil, Prince of Insufficient Light/

He'll darn you to heck.

2020-05-20 18:05:42 UTC
Post by Paul S Person
There was also a Denier of IT Resources (IIRC).
Mordac, Preventer of Information Services!
Topper can be fun too, in small doses:

https://dilbert.com/search_results?terms=Topper