"13 Best Science Fantasy Books" by Dan Livingston
2020-05-19 19:13:34 UTC
"13 Best Science Fantasy Books" by Dan Livingston
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/13-best-science-fantasy-books/

I have read five of the 13. "Tales of the Dying Earth" by Jack Vance,
the excellent "The Planet Savers" by Marion Zimmer Bradley, the average
"Lord of Light" by Roger Zelazny, the most excellent "A Wrinkle In Time"
by Madeleine L’Engle, and "Dragonflight" by Anne McCaffrey.

Lynn
Default User
2020-05-20 05:08:17 UTC
"13 Best Science Fantasy Books" by Dan Livingston
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/13-best-science-fantasy-books/
Disappointed not to see Metropolitan there.

Three for me:
The Compleat Enchanter
The Dying Earth
The Gunslinger

Brian
Moriarty
2020-05-20 22:48:30 UTC
Post by Default User
Post by Lynn McGuire
"13 Best Science Fantasy Books" by Dan Livingston
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/13-best-science-fantasy-books/
Disappointed not to see Metropolitan there.
The Compleat Enchanter
The Dying Earth
The Gunslinger
Seven for me

12 The Many Colored Land
6 Lord of Light
5 The City & The City
4 A Wrinkle in Time
3 Artemis Fowl
2 Dragonflight
1 The Shadow of the Torturer

First time I've read the top N books of one of these lists, usually I haven't heard of most of them.

Interestingly, I remember very little about the top 3, and I re-read number 4 recently and was very underwhelmed, despite it being a childhood favourite.

The City & The City is an astounding work, totally deserving of all the awards thrown at it. It's one of those books whose genre is hard to pin down. Here it's cast as "Science Fantasy". You could also put it in the "Magical Realism", "Urban Fantsay" or "Detective Noir" buckets.

Lord of Light is currently being discussed in another thread. I'm in the "every time I re-read I get a sensawunda" camp.

Number 12 The Many Colored Land has been on my re-read list ever since the author died last year. I must get around to it.

-Moriarty
Chris Buckley
2020-05-20 23:42:13 UTC
Post by Moriarty
Post by Default User
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
All but the Colfer for me. _Lord of Light_ and _The Shadow of the Torturer_
are perhaps among my top 10 favorites.

I was surprised at _The Planet Savers_; I wouldn't call it one of Bradley's
best, but maybe it was chosen as the first in the series.

Chris