[Meta] Spamblocking May No Longer Be Useful
Joe Bernstein
2018-08-03 21:32:08 UTC
As some of you may remember, I had to change posting addresses last
year. This has enabled me to do a sort of experiment, whose results
have astonished me.

*NO* spam has reached the address in the headers and below. Not one
piece, since I opened the account, which was some months *before* I
started posting with it.

While I haven't been as *active* a poster in the months since I
started posting with this address (since mid-November 2017) as I was
at certain times long ago, I haven't exactly been *quiet*, either.

I might add that about half of the spam now reaching me at my regular
e-mail address is from companies that got that address from my
registration as a tax preparer, sent me unsolicited tax-preparation-
related e-mails, and have just never noticed that I no longer
register as one. Gmail always wanted to treat these e-mails as
spams, but I didn't start agreeing until my registration lapsed.

The catch is that up until my former posting address,
<***@sfbooks.com>, was shut down, it was still getting spam on a
regular basis, if not as much as in times past. So I'm not saying
spammers have stopped sending to addresses harvested from Usenet.

I am, however, saying that it looks like nobody harvests addresses
from Usenet *any more*. So *continuing* to spamblock here may be
pointless.

Joe Bernstein
Joe Bernstein <***@gmail.com>
Dorothy J Heydt
2018-08-03 22:05:03 UTC
Post by Joe Bernstein
[...]
Interesting. I'm still trying to figure out why I get so much
spam from printers and photo editors in *Malaysia.*

Aside from all the 419 spams I continue to get.
2018-08-05 13:29:06 UTC
I've seen reports that most spammers automatically
exclude certain addresses. If the address text contains
"spam" then they presume it is cloaked, and simply ignore
it instead of trying to clean it. They also avoid
addresses ending in "mil" and maybe "gov" which are
used by people that you don't want to make angry.

The mail services I use presumably have strong spam
blocking, but this address gets spurts, often from
South Africa for some reason. I flag it. Some may
be from services where I accidentally gave permission
to sell my address to the universe. I also see spam
/in/ some groups - do drugs and "solution books" come
up here from time to time? - and in some webs sites'
"Disqus" comment forums. Some of which may have
flagged /me/ as a spammer, which I need to try to
address some time - unless, for reasons of ego, I am.

I think none of this is "Web 2.0" and I hear that's
where the action is.
Dorothy J Heydt
2018-08-05 14:27:53 UTC
I've seen reports that most spammers automatically
exclude certain addresses. If the address text contains
"spam" then they presume it is cloaked, and simply ignore
it instead of trying to clean it. They also avoid
addresses ending in "mil" and maybe "gov" which are
used by people that you don't want to make angry.
The mail services I use presumably have strong spam
blocking, but this address gets spurts, often from
South Africa for some reason.
Yes, South Africa seems to be the new Nigeria. Hal reads a blog
(which is moderated) from the Raspberry Pi Foundation, which has
been getting a lot of spams from there for some reason. One
ingenious fellow had a habit of posting an innocuous,
quasi-relevant post, which would pass the moderators, and then
he'd go back and edit it to contain his spam. They finally
caught wise and blocked his address. They're now considering
whether or not to block posts from South Africa altogether, which
they're reluctant to do.
-dsr-
2018-08-05 22:57:12 UTC
I've seen reports that most spammers automatically
exclude certain addresses. If the address text contains
"spam" then they presume it is cloaked, and simply ignore
it instead of trying to clean it. They also avoid
addresses ending in "mil" and maybe "gov" which are
used by people that you don't want to make angry.
Rule something: spammers are really lazy, even to the point of
stupidity.

Corollary: spam flows in daily to ***@arcyber.army.mil
and mailer-***@cia.gov.

-dsr-