[tor dot com] Five Chilly SF Stories to Help Beat the Summer Heat
2021-08-31 17:10:39 UTC
Five Chilly SF Stories to Help Beat the Summer Heat
https://www.tor.com/2021/08/31/five-chilly-sf-stories-to-help-beat-the-summer-heat/
Christian Weisgerber
2021-08-31 18:31:50 UTC
Five Chilly SF Stories to Help Beat the Summer Heat
https://www.tor.com/2021/08/31/five-chilly-sf-stories-to-help-beat-the-summer-heat/
I've seen _Threads_. A year before _Threads_, _The Day After_ had
made a big impression on America with its portrayal of nuclear
holocaust. That was the upbeat Hollywood version. _Threads_ is
the less cheerful British take on the matter.

The list is definitely missing Hal Clement's _Iceworld_. A school
teacher (hah) goes undercover to infiltrate a gang of drug traffickers,
and travels with them to the far-off planet where a most dangerous
drug originates. A world so chilled, the very air they breathe
freezes solid. I guess the cover of every edition spoils the first
chapters, so I might as well: Yes, they breathe gaseous sulfur and
that most frigid planet is Earth.

I guess John W. Campbell's "Who Goes There?" also deserves a mention.
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber ***@mips.inka.de
Dorothy J Heydt
2021-08-31 19:57:44 UTC
[...]
And, to a lesser extent, Poul Anderson's _The Winter of the
World_, which doesn't have an iceworld, just a glaciation.
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Christian Weisgerber
2021-09-01 17:04:19 UTC
And, to a lesser extent, Poul Anderson's _The Winter of the
World_, which doesn't have an iceworld, just a glaciation.
As does Robert Silverberg's _Time of the Great Freeze_.
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber ***@mips.inka.de
Scott Lurndal
2021-09-01 18:02:33 UTC
Post by Christian Weisgerber
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
And, to a lesser extent, Poul Anderson's _The Winter of the
World_, which doesn't have an iceworld, just a glaciation.
As does Robert Silverberg's _Time of the Great Freeze_.
Foster's _Icerigger_ is set on a frozen world.
Barjavel's _The Ice People_ harks back to Earth's glaciation period.
Don
2021-09-01 18:34:35 UTC
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
And, to a lesser extent, Poul Anderson's _The Winter of the
World_, which doesn't have an iceworld, just a glaciation.
As does Robert Silverberg's _Time of the Great Freeze_.
Foster's _Icerigger_ is set on a frozen world.
Barjavel's _The Ice People_ harks back to Earth's glaciation period.
Some of Perry Rhodan's people hide out on "Eiswelt" (AKA "Ice Planet"
and later "Snowman" in Ackerman's translation) until a Springer named
Etztak, patriarch of the clan of Etztak, unleashes "an atomic fire that
can never be extinguished" on the planet.

Danke,
--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``. https://crcomp.net/reviews.php
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,.
William Hyde
2021-08-31 20:31:40 UTC
Five Chilly SF Stories to Help Beat the Summer Heat
https://www.tor.com/2021/08/31/five-chilly-sf-stories-to-help-beat-the-summer-heat/
Excellent subversion of expectations, James. No Ursula (though on seeing the title I suspected you would so subvert).

Slightly off topic, but then rec.arts.mystery is a corpse - I read John Banville's recent mystery, "Snow" in the hottest days of August.

It is set in an unusually cold Irish winter of the late 1950s. I took the weather as a little ice age reference, given his portrait of Ireland at the time.

Excellent mystery, very depressing. I am just Irish enough to enjoy it. And Canadian enough to scoff a little (what, you call that winter? We call it April(*)).

(Banville also writes excellent mysteries under his pen name "Benjamin Black", I am unaware if he
has a pen name for SF&F though he has engaged to some degree with science in "Dr Copernicus" and its sequels).

(*) Not in Toronto, obviously, which is almost as tropical as Cleveland.

William Hyde
James Nicoll
2021-09-01 02:04:11 UTC
Post by William Hyde
Post by James Nicoll
Five Chilly SF Stories to Help Beat the Summer Heat
https://www.tor.com/2021/08/31/five-chilly-sf-stories-to-help-beat-the-summer-heat/
Excellent subversion of expectations, James. No Ursula (though on seeing the
title I suspected you would so subvert).
There was a Sean Stewart I would have included if I could only remember which
one it was.
Moriarty
2021-08-31 21:55:00 UTC
Five Chilly SF Stories to Help Beat the Summer Heat
https://www.tor.com/2021/08/31/five-chilly-sf-stories-to-help-beat-the-summer-heat/
Then there's Dan Simmons' "The Terror", which takes place on the Franklin expedition. That book made me feel cold even though I was warm when I started it. And yes, it is SF.

And now I'm remembering Iain M Banks' "Surface Detail". At one point a character descends deep within a frozen ice world. Naturally, the ice's temperature is in the hundreds of degrees, due to the pressure.

-Moriarty
Lynn McGuire
2021-09-01 19:45:27 UTC
Five Chilly SF Stories to Help Beat the Summer Heat
https://www.tor.com/2021/08/31/five-chilly-sf-stories-to-help-beat-the-summer-heat/
I've actually read one of the five, "Icerigger" by Alan Dean Foster.

A good addition to this list would be "The Last Centurion" by John Ringo.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00APA1HKC/

And of course, the aforementioned "Fallen Angels" by Larry Niven,
Michael Flynn, and Jerry Pournelle.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005BJTZ1U/