_Outage (Powerless Nation)_ by Ellisa Barr
2018-09-11 16:43:53 UTC
_Outage (Powerless Nation)_ by Ellisa Barr

https://www.amazon.com/Outage-Powerless-Nation-Ellisa-Barr/dp/1477829946/

Book number one of a three book young adult apocalyptic EMP series. I
read the well printed and bound trade paperback. I will order the next
book in the series soon.

Fifteen year old Dee has been stranded at her grandfather's farm in
Washington state for the summer as her parents go on a long cruise.
When the EMP happens, the small town nearby slowly dies due to the evil
of man.

My rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars (170 reviews)

2018-09-11 19:57:28 UTC
_Outage (Powerless Nation)_ by Ellisa Barr
https://www.amazon.com/Outage-Powerless-Nation-Ellisa-Barr/dp/1477829946/
Book number one of a three book young adult apocalyptic EMP series. I
read the well printed and bound trade paperback. I will order the next
book in the series soon.
Fifteen year old Dee has been stranded at her grandfather's farm in
Washington state for the summer as her parents go on a long cruise.
When the EMP happens, the small town nearby slowly dies due to the evil
of man.
Since 'apocalyptic EMP' stories seem to have become a subgenre (and one of your
favorites :-), when you review them, I hope you'll regularly report on:

* Why we aren't being invaded from overseas, by the EMPer.
* Why we aren't getting aid from overseas, by the rest of the world. Even now,
we still have allies.

There's too many which seem to think the rest of the world doesn't actually
exist.

2018-09-11 21:19:51 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
pt
EMPs in these books don't seem to be something people do. They just
happen. Maybe they're solar.
Lynn McGuire
2018-09-11 22:00:18 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
I "reported" recently on an EMP series that the USA was getting "help"
from Russia and China fleets of ships. The USA military warned them off
our western and eastern shores. When their fleets ignored the warnings,
the USA military nuked their fleets after a series of skirmishes.

https://www.amazon.com/Home-Invasion-Survivalist-8-American/dp/0996696032/

BTW, actually helping the USA would be a tremendous effort. We are the
world's third most populous nation. No other nation is as wealthy as
the USA (not counting future obligations) and has the spare resources to
do so with. Until recently, 1/4 of the world's food was grown and
harvested in the USA. Very few other countries in the world have food
to spare to ship to the USA.

2018-09-11 22:30:32 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
This hasn't stopped the rest of the world from sending aid in real life
to the US after natural disasters such as Hurricane Katrina. It may not
be much compared to what the aid the US traditionally sends the other
way but other countries will do so. If for not other reason than, as
you point out, 1/4 of the world's food is grown here. (Though to be
honest, that sounds really high to me. I'm pretty sure China is
self-sufficient in food. They have ~1/3 of the world's population and
are a food exporter as well.)
2018-09-11 23:29:28 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/100615/4-countries-produce-most-food.asp

"The United States has long been a superpower in food markets – and it
is still the world's largest food exporter – but it falls to third place
when measuring total output. China and India produce more food than the
U.S., but they end up consuming much more of their own products. This
makes sense, since China and India have the world's largest populations
by a wide margin."

"These three countries (the U.S., China and India) each produce more
food than the entire European Union put together. In fourth place is
Brazil; its food industry tilts heavily towards sugarcane and soybeans."

"No country produces as much as efficiently as the U.S. Despite having a
smaller workforce than China, total U.S. agricultural product is almost
as high."

2018-09-12 01:57:48 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
Okay, that's a bit different than "the US grows 1/4 of the world's
food". Growing 1/4 of the food that gets exported/traded I can believe.

But the original point still stands, at least some other countries
_would_ do what they could to help a USA stuck by a national
catastrophe. As a case in point related to the current date, the UK had
the highest number of deaths in the 9/11 World Trade Center attack after
the US. The US is simply too large of a part of the world economy for
the rest of the world to just go "Pff" and wave its loss off.
2018-09-12 02:08:43 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
Please note, I said, "Until recently, 1/4 of the world's food was grown
and harvested in the USA."

Food production has declined in the USA over the last 20 years due to
the high cost of land and environmental regulations. And many kids
don't want to be farmers anymore. We used to ship enormous amounts of
rice to China from Texas and that has definitely gone away. They are
taking down an old rice mill about 3 miles away from my house right now.

2018-09-12 03:42:47 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
My family owns a rice farm in Louisiana. The economics of US rice
farming didn't crash until the Chinese flooded the world rice market. I
am personally aware of many aspects of the farming changes taking place
in the US.
David Duffy
If it's good enough for Kim Stanley Robinson...(see _The Wild Shore_)
Titus G
2018-09-12 03:38:55 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Lynn McGuire
read the well printed and bound trade paperback. I will order the
next book in the series soon.
Fifteen year old Dee has been stranded at her grandfather's farm
in Washington state for the summer as her parents go on a long
cruise. When the EMP happens, the small town nearby slowly dies due
to the evil of man.
Since 'apocalyptic EMP' stories seem to have become a subgenre (and
one of your favorites :-), when you review them, I hope you'll
* Why we aren't being invaded from overseas, by the EMPer. * Why we
aren't getting aid from overseas, by the rest of the world. Even
now, we still have allies.
There's too many which seem to think the rest of the world doesn't
actually exist.
The book is for "young adults" which is secret code for:
1) children who may be chronological adults but with a lower reading
age, or,
2) adults with limited reading comprehension.

I am sure J Clark will provide several examples of 15 year old girls who
not only have an interest in foreign affairs and world politics but
expect to see such issues covered in their speculative fiction. I
suspect the majority will be just as interested and as informed as the
reviewer :-)
Titus G
2018-09-12 03:50:51 UTC
This might be a review of a church handout.
Michael F. Stemper
2018-09-20 18:53:33 UTC
Post by Titus G
1) children who may be chronological adults but with a lower reading
age, or,
2) adults with limited reading comprehension.
I always thought that "young adult" was a euphemism for "juvenile", as
in "Winston juveniles" or "Heinlein juveniles".
--
Michael F. Stemper
Indians scattered on dawn's highway bleeding;
Ghosts crowd the young child's fragile eggshell mind.
Lynn McGuire
2018-09-20 21:21:42 UTC
Post by Michael F. Stemper
Post by Titus G
1) children who may be chronological adults but with a lower reading
age, or,
2) adults with limited reading comprehension.
I always thought that "young adult" was a euphemism for "juvenile", as
in "Winston juveniles" or "Heinlein juveniles".
To me, the difference between the "young adult" and "juvenile"
categories is the young adult books have sex in them and the juvenile
books do not. The examples could be _Starship Troopers_ (young adult)
and _Citizen of the Galaxy_ (juvenile).

2018-09-20 21:51:54 UTC
Post by Michael F. Stemper
Post by Titus G
1) children who may be chronological adults but with a lower reading
age, or,
2) adults with limited reading comprehension.
I always thought that "young adult" was a euphemism for "juvenile", as
in "Winston juveniles" or "Heinlein juveniles".
To me, the difference between the "young adult" and "juvenile"
categories is the young adult books have sex in them and the juvenile
books do not. The examples could be _Starship Troopers_ (young adult)
and _Citizen of the Galaxy_ (juvenile).
Lynn
There's no sex in _Starship Troopers_. Rico admits that he likes girls,
but that's about it. I mean, you could guess what goes on on shore leave,
but that's all it would be.
2018-09-20 22:01:06 UTC
Post by Michael F. Stemper
Post by Titus G
1) children who may be chronological adults but with a lower reading
age, or,
2) adults with limited reading comprehension.
I always thought that "young adult" was a euphemism for "juvenile", as
in "Winston juveniles" or "Heinlein juveniles".
To me, the difference between the "young adult" and "juvenile"
categories is the young adult books have sex in them and the juvenile
books do not. The examples could be _Starship Troopers_ (young adult)
and _Citizen of the Galaxy_ (juvenile).
Lynn
There's no sex in _Starship Troopers_. Rico admits that he likes girls,
but that's about it. I mean, you could guess what goes on on shore leave,
but that's all it would be.
Weren't the guys and girls paired off in bunks by the time that they
were on a satellite building a post ? And some girl screwed up and died
? And the book says that none one wanted to have sex, they only wanted
to snuggle ? Or am I thinking of a different book ?

2018-09-21 00:49:00 UTC
On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 17:01:06 -0500, Lynn McGuire
Post by Michael F. Stemper
Post by Titus G
[...]
It's got to be a _very_ different book. Nobody in Starship Troopers
was ever "on a satellite building a post" and the infantry was not
coed.
Lynn McGuire
2018-09-21 01:16:15 UTC
Post by Michael F. Stemper
Post by Titus G
[...]
Huh. I wonder if I was thinking of _Old Man's War_ or an Allan Steele
book then. Or a Joe Haldeman book.

2018-09-21 01:22:32 UTC
Post by Michael F. Stemper
Post by Titus G
[...]
You are thinking of 'The Forever War' I suspect. The trainees weren't
on a satellite, they were on Pluto (which at the time was still a "planet").
2018-09-21 02:02:07 UTC
Weren't the guys and girls paired off in bunks by the time that they
were on a satellite building a post ? And some girl screwed up and died
? And the book says that none one wanted to have sex, they only wanted
to snuggle ? Or am I thinking of a different book ?
It's got to be a _very_ different book. Nobody in Starship Troopers
was ever "on a satellite building a post" and the infantry was not
coed.
Forever War was supposed to be an answer to Sraeship Troopers.

It was co-ed and at one point they were building a pointless base on
either Charon (moon of Pluto) or some even further-out iceball.
2018-09-21 02:00:00 UTC
Post by Michael F. Stemper
Post by Titus G
1) children who may be chronological adults but with a lower reading
age, or,
2) adults with limited reading comprehension.
I always thought that "young adult" was a euphemism for "juvenile", as
in "Winston juveniles" or "Heinlein juveniles".
To me, the difference between the "young adult" and "juvenile"
categories is the young adult books have sex in them and the juvenile
books do not. The examples could be _Starship Troopers_ (young adult)
and _Citizen of the Galaxy_ (juvenile).
Lynn
There's no sex in _Starship Troopers_. Rico admits that he likes girls,
but that's about it. I mean, you could guess what goes on on shore leave,
but that's all it would be.
And the viewpoint character os CotG hides a night in a whorehouse.
But, yeah, no sex
2018-09-20 21:25:41 UTC
Post by Michael F. Stemper
Post by Titus G
1) children who may be chronological adults but with a lower reading
age, or,
2) adults with limited reading comprehension.
I always thought that "young adult" was a euphemism for "juvenile", as
in "Winston juveniles" or "Heinlein juveniles".
That's closer. Really it means a level of complexity
suited to people who spend their day getting taught
Shakespeare and the like probably against their will,
and who need something lighter for recreation.
David Johnston
2018-09-20 23:13:29 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
Nonsense. Many YA novels are only distinguishable by the ages of the
protagonists from novels aimed at people in their 30s. The truth is
almost nobody becomes significantly more literate as adults than they
were at the age of 17.
Titus G
2018-09-21 04:29:59 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
Nonsense. "Many"? MOST YA novels are distinguishable from Old Adult
novels firstly by limited vocabulary, secondly by simpler sentence
structure, thirdly by simple stereotypical social structures, ......,
ninety ninthly by .....

  The truth is
almost nobody becomes significantly more literate as adults than they
were at the age of 17.
Yes. But. Wouldn't most of those in their thirties be more
sophisticated in their world view than most teens and wouldn't this
transfer to their reading expectations?
Dimensional Traveler
2018-09-21 05:09:42 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
[...]