[Orbit] Orbit 4 edited by Damon Knight
2021-07-27 13:26:48 UTC
Orbit 4 edited by Damon Knight

https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/off-note
2021-07-28 04:35:31 UTC
Orbit 4 edited by Damon Knight
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/off-note
My knee-jerk reaction to your reviews is rapidly approaching...

since the only thing you seem to find of note about this
series of anthologies is how it, like all the others of its time,
so woefully under-represents women and people of color,
why are you bothering to review it?

Of course, that is hardly fair. In _this_ day and age, it makes
sense to at least *note* that these old collections depart from
modern standards before heading into a substantive review
of their content - which is really actually what you're doing.
That I find even such a simple acknowledgement jarring says
more about me than about you.

Still, though, I find it hard to imagine that were I to pick up
Grimm's Story or either of its two reworks... it would read
like one of the Gor novels.

Clearly, I'm not just having trouble with _one_ of the points
of what you write; I seem to be approaching a stage where
I totally misunderstand everything you're writing!

John Savard
p***@hotmail.com
2021-07-31 01:45:38 UTC
[...]
This has triggered a memory from when the books were first
published, one of those jokes where you are given an answer
and have to come up with the question.

Answer: Kate Wilhelm and the Soviet Union

Question: Who has gotten the most stuff into Orbit? (This was long before the
first launch of the Saturn 5.)

Thanks for the memories,

Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist