ID this pre-1980 novel - woman with menagerie?
l***@yahoo.com
2018-05-12 19:31:57 UTC
I'm pretty sure she had supernatural powers and could talk with and control them. That's all I really remember.

Lenona.
Dorothy J Heydt
2018-05-12 19:41:11 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
I'm pretty sure she had supernatural powers and could talk with and
control them. That's all I really remember.
Sounds like a whole lot of Mercedes Lackey, and a fair amount of
Andre Norton. Can you remember any other details? A place or
personal name? Anything that happened in the course of the
story?
--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California
djheydt at gmail dot com
l***@yahoo.com
2018-05-12 20:29:27 UTC
In article
Post by l***@yahoo.com
I'm pretty sure she had supernatural powers and could talk with and
control them. That's all I really remember.
Sounds like a whole lot of Mercedes Lackey, and a fair amount of
Andre Norton. Can you remember any other details? A place or
personal name? Anything that happened in the course of the
story?
Actually, I only saw the cover (it was a mass-market, pocket-size book) and was told about it by someone else, sometime from 1973 to 1976. I THINK the cover had a black or dark background. The woman was on the cover and surrounded by animals. It's possible the artwork resembled Brian Froud's. I looked up Lackey's book covers just now -

https://www.google.com/search?q=mercedes+lackey+books&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjcvc6WgIHbAhVBPN8KHXerAQkQ_AUICygC&biw=1261&bih=850#imgrc=_

- and they don't have the artistic style I'm thinking of. Unless that search didn't include her old editions, for whatever reason.

Lenona.
l***@yahoo.com
2018-05-12 20:49:31 UTC
And now that I've checked Froud's book illustrations, Froud would not have been nearly as low-key as what I'm thinking of - with rare exceptions, such as some of the pictures in "Faeries."

I seem to remember that the colors on the cover almost looked as if they would glow in the dark, since the background was dark.

Lenona.
Ahasuerus
2018-05-12 21:11:25 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
In article
Post by l***@yahoo.com
[...]
Lackey published her first story in 1985, so it couldn't be her. Froud
did fewer than 20 genre covers prior to 1980 (that we know of --
http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/ea.cgi?4048), so it should be easy to check.
Greg Goss
2018-05-14 01:21:00 UTC
Post by Ahasuerus
Post by l***@yahoo.com
In article
Post by l***@yahoo.com
[...]
Telzey Amberdon?
Greg Goss
2018-05-14 01:25:29 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by l***@yahoo.com
http://tinyurl.com/y7y5dwho
Dorothy J Heydt
2018-05-14 03:58:33 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
Post by Ahasuerus
Post by l***@yahoo.com
Post by Ahasuerus
Post by l***@yahoo.com
- and they don't have the artistic style I'm thinking of. Unless that
search didn't include her old editions, for whatever reason.
Lackey published her first story in 1985, so it couldn't be her. Froud
did fewer than 20 genre covers prior to 1980 (that we know of --
http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/ea.cgi?4048), so it should be easy to check.
Telzey Amberdon?
Did the animals surrounding the woman look like big saber-tooth
cats?
--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California
djheydt at gmail dot com
Dorothy J Heydt
2018-05-12 22:43:26 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
In article
Post by l***@yahoo.com
[...]
You might take a look at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
too ...

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/index.cgi

... because they frequently link pictures of old as well as new
editions. It's worth a try.
--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California
djheydt at gmail dot com
Moriarty
2018-05-13 01:02:52 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
In article
Post by l***@yahoo.com
[...]
That's not a lot to go on, but possibly "The Forgotten Beasts of Eld", Patricia McKillip, 1974.

-Moriarty
Chris Buckley
2018-05-13 02:13:06 UTC
Post by Moriarty
Post by l***@yahoo.com
In article
Post by l***@yahoo.com
[...]
Excellent suggestion, both as to topic of book, and the type of book
that will get a Froud-like cover. But my 1975 mass-market paperback
of it is a standard woman on dragon cover, and I don't see any matching
covers when looking at Google images. (It's a book on my favorites bookcase;
I like it a lot but opinions will vary a lot on it.)

Chris
Moriarty
2018-05-13 02:55:33 UTC
Post by Chris Buckley
Post by Moriarty
Post by l***@yahoo.com
In article
Post by l***@yahoo.com
[...]
This one fits Lenona's description, dark background, woman surrounded by animals:

This one, less so:

-Moriarty
Quadibloc
2018-05-13 02:56:05 UTC
Post by Chris Buckley
Post by Moriarty
Post by l***@yahoo.com
In article
Post by l***@yahoo.com
[...]
This is probably the cover he thought might match your description:

It's from this page

http://www.patriciamckillip.com/Books/eld.htm

which shows several different covers for that book, including one other that
resembles your description.

John Savard
Quadibloc
2018-05-13 03:04:31 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
Post by Chris Buckley
Post by Moriarty
Post by l***@yahoo.com
http://www.patriciamckillip.com/Books/Covers/eld2.jpg
It's from this page
http://www.patriciamckillip.com/Books/eld.htm
which shows several different covers for that book, including one other that
resembles your description.
And here's another one similar to your description:

https://www.booktopia.com.au/the-forgotten-beasts-of-eld-patricia-a-mckillip/prod9781473212039.html

John Savard
Magewolf
2018-05-13 13:44:47 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
Post by Chris Buckley
Post by Moriarty
Post by l***@yahoo.com
In article
Post by l***@yahoo.com
[...]
Seeing the original cover for Dragonsbane reused, for at least the tenth
time, on that page reminds me of a question I have whenever various book
covers get brought up. Which piece of art has been used as a cover
image for the most different books? Not counting clip-art, maybe. But
I do not have the slightest idea how you would go about finding out.
Ahasuerus
2018-05-13 17:56:34 UTC
On Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 9:44:52 AM UTC-4, Magewolf wrote:
[snip-snip]
Post by Magewolf
Seeing the original cover for Dragonsbane reused, for at least the tenth
time, on that page reminds me of a question I have whenever various book
covers get brought up. Which piece of art has been used as a cover
image for the most different books? Not counting clip-art, maybe. But
I do not have the slightest idea how you would go about finding out.
It depends on how you define "different books". For example, Lee Gibbons'
"The Shadow Rising" has been used by almost 20 differently titled books,
but they are all volumes in "The Wheel of Time" series and various
translations thereof -- see http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?851385
(scroll all the way to the bottom of the page to see the cover scans.)

Then there are "series covers" which were reused by multiple books in
the same series, e.g. http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?1875586
or http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?2013849

And then there are oddball cases like this Jim Burns cover --
the center part and the right part have been used separately on a number
of different books -- see http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?1271575
Magewolf
2018-05-14 18:44:26 UTC
Post by Ahasuerus
[snip-snip]
http://www.isfdb.org/wiki/images/e/ef/HNSCNCFCTN1981.jpg . The left part,
the center part and the right part have been used separately on a number
of different books -- see http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?1271575
I was thinking more about artwork that was made for a book cover and
then reused as opposed to something used as a brand image. And I think
translations of a book with the same cover should not really count as a
different book.

There are also times when books are divided differently such as a single
hardcover coming out as two paperbacks,multiple books being combined
into a new edition, and I know that Japanese translations used to be
divided up most of the time though after my book contact moved back to
the US I have fallen years behind.

So as long as the cover is on a book that contains in whole or part the
book that it was first on I would not count that as a different book either.
Ahasuerus
2018-05-15 15:45:06 UTC
Post by Magewolf
Post by Ahasuerus
[snip-snip]
Post by Magewolf
[...]
It may be possible to extract this information from the ISFDB database,
but it would require careful massaging. Our backups are publicly
available
(http://www.isfdb.org/wiki/index.php/ISFDB_Downloads#Database_Backups),
so anyone can give it a try. Something like:

select t1.title_id, t1.title_title from titles t1
where t1.title_ttype = 'COVERART'
and
(select count(t2.title_id)
from titles t2
where t2.title_ttype = 'COVERART'
and t2.title_parent = t1.title_id) > 6;

would be one place to start.
l***@yahoo.com
2018-05-13 19:49:46 UTC
Post by Moriarty
That's not a lot to go on, but possibly "The Forgotten Beasts of Eld", Patricia McKillip, 1974.
I'm 99% sure that's it, thank you! (Not that I recognize the title.)

Luckily for me, as soon as you gave the title, I checked in Google Images -

https://www.google.com/search?q=Forgotten+Beasts+of+Eld&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj5w63NtoPbAhWCg-AKHZYUBkEQ_AUICigB&biw=1280&bih=910#imgrc=_

- and when you do that, you get other, different titles as well, so it was like picking someone out of a line-up. I saw that the Avon edition (with the cat, lion, falcon and dragon) looked pretty familiar. Only AFTER doing that did I click on the link in your next post that shows only the Avon edition.

Maybe I thought of Brian Froud only because Sybel's blonde hair seems to glow in the dark. Don't know why that would do it - after all, the artwork has no other resemblance! Does anyone know who did it? (There's another Avon edition that shows Sybel riding on the dragon - I presume that was drawn by someone else.)

Lenona.
l***@yahoo.com
2018-05-13 19:51:35 UTC
Guess what - there was a new edition last year!
l***@yahoo.com
2018-05-13 19:54:20 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
Maybe I thought of Brian Froud only because Sybel's blonde hair seems to glow in the dark. Don't know why that would do it - after all, the artwork has no other resemblance! Does anyone know who did it?
I think I found the name - Gervasio Gallardo.

More of his book covers:

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1280&bih=910&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=upf4WsuGEKqMggec473ADA&q=Gervasio+Gallardo+books&oq=Gervasio+Gallardo+books&gs_l=img.3...15670.16381.0.16637.6.6.0.0.0.0.120.433.5j1.6.0....0...1c.1.64.img..0.1.70...0i30k1.0.SgLEp-pACSM

Lenona.
Lenona
2021-06-28 01:20:46 UTC
I found a copy of the Avon edition yesterday, for a dollar, at an outdoor library sale. (That's 50 cents less than the original price!) Somehow, in the last three years, I haven't seen that particular edition, despite going to plenty of sales.

It's always a thrill to get your hands on something you haven't seen in person since you were little...

It looks like a longer book than I was expecting, somehow. But then, I doubt many kids who are under ten would read it - and back then, I was.
Lenona.
Robert Carnegie
2018-05-12 20:59:21 UTC
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by l***@yahoo.com
I'm pretty sure she had supernatural powers and could talk with and
control them. That's all I really remember.
Sounds like a whole lot of Mercedes Lackey, and a fair amount of
Andre Norton. Can you remember any other details? A place or
personal name? Anything that happened in the course of the
story?
What animals? How many? Set where and when?
Present day? Ancient Mars? Unspecified woods?
So far this could be Walt Disney's _Snow White_,
if you forgot to mention seven dwarfs who are
also in the story.

If there are details you're not sure about -
tell us anyway. Misleading facts, such as from
a completely different book, are part of this game.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Room_on_the_Broom>
is the wrong date, I'm afraid.
Dorothy J Heydt
2018-05-12 22:46:41 UTC
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by l***@yahoo.com
I'm pretty sure she had supernatural powers and could talk with and
control them. That's all I really remember.
Sounds like a whole lot of Mercedes Lackey, and a fair amount of
Andre Norton. Can you remember any other details? A place or
personal name? Anything that happened in the course of the
story?
What animals? How many? Set where and when?
Present day? Ancient Mars? Unspecified woods?
So far this could be Walt Disney's _Snow White_,
if you forgot to mention seven dwarfs who are
also in the story.
Or God help us, _The Interior Life._ /shudder
Post by Robert Carnegie
If there are details you're not sure about -
tell us anyway. Misleading facts, such as from
a completely different book, are part of this game.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Room_on_the_Broom>
is the wrong date, I'm afraid.
/goodle

Nope.
--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California
djheydt at gmail dot com
Butch Malahide
2021-06-28 05:47:31 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
I'm pretty sure she had supernatural powers and could talk with and control them. That's all I really remember.
Lenona.
The Iron Orchid (among others) was a lady with a menagerie in Michael Moorcock's _Dancers at the End of Time_ series. Did the menagerie include a time traveler?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dancers_at_the_End_of_Time
Lenona
2021-06-28 06:58:02 UTC
Post by Butch Malahide
The Iron Orchid (among others) was a lady with a menagerie in Michael Moorcock's _Dancers at the End of Time_ series. Did the menagerie include a time traveler?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dancers_at_the_End_of_Time
Maybe I should have erased the old part, but the book I was searching for turned out to be The Forgotten Beasts of Eld, which I bought on Saturday. Haven't read it yet.