[OT] The Sky is Falling!
2021-07-31 06:50:25 UTC
We heard it from Chicken Little!
In any case, this is about Angelo Pitoni, an Italian who, on a trip to Sierra Leone, found a rock with a nice blue color.
Analysis showed it to be mainly composed of calcium hydroxide, calcium carbonate, and calcium silicate. However, the stone was mysterious because it was heated to a high temperature without becoming discolored, and a stone with those ingredients is not expected to be blue.
The rock was given to him by a chief of the Fullah tribe, who also told him a legend that it came down from Heaven during the battle between Lucifer and his rebellious angels and God.
Well, this is all very well.
I heard about it through a book I encountered in searches for the writings of Kahlil Gibran - in which I had never previously been interested, but which piqued my curiosity after quotes from the second chapter of "The Prophet" appeared in a type specimen.
This book, though, was by one Eric Taborn.
Its title:
Does God Say the Earth is Flat? Ending the debate between the flat Earth and the globe.
The book is rather short, and basically consists of a number of Bible quotes which refer to the Earth as being a flat circle sitting under the dome of the firmament.
There we are: that settles it!

Pity that surveyors have gone out and directly measured extensive enough areas of the Earth that even if one thinks that all satellite photos are faked, and the ISS is on a movie studio somewhere, the Earth has already been absolutely proven to be a sphere beyond all doubt.
The Bible says: God is not mocked. But those who claim to speak in His name often set themselves up for that. This, of course, is an extreme case.

Oh, and the blue rock? There you are: actual evidence of a piece that fell off the firmament, so why are you still doubting?

2021-07-31 18:52:58 UTC
This book, though, was by one Eric Taborn.
Does God Say the Earth is Flat? Ending the debate between the flat Earth and the globe.
The book is rather short, and basically consists of a number of Bible
quotes which refer to the Earth as being a flat circle sitting under the
dome of the firmament.
There we are: that settles it!
Nonsense. If the Earth were flat, cats would have long since
pushed everything off the edge.
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Quadibloc
2021-10-22 08:51:34 UTC
Nonsense. If the Earth were flat, cats would have long since
pushed everything off the edge.
The firmament is supposed to be a solid dome which rests on the flat
Earth, so there isn't access to empty space for things to fall off...

Anyways, I just learned that a famous old engraving of someone sticking
his head through the firmament, and seeing stuff from the Book of Ezekiel,
is usually sourced from a book by Camille Flammarion about meteorology.

The source from which I heard that said page 168; the edition I found it in
had it a few pages later; the image is absent from an English translation of
the same work.

2021-10-22 08:58:12 UTC
Pity that surveyors have gone out and directly measured extensive
enough areas of the Earth that even if one thinks that all satellite
photos are faked, and the ISS is on a movie studio somewhere, the
Earth has already been absolutely proven to be a sphere beyond all
doubt.
And after coming up with a modification of the Azimuthal Equidistant
projection that might allow a more reasonable view of what a flat
Earth would have to look like...

I just realized that there is an absolutely obvious way to prove the Earth
is round. The one that let Ptolemy know the Earth was round.

Look up at the night sky. You may not be able to roam around at will
in Antarctica, but you can see half the night sky whenever you look up
at night. (Well, except when it's cloudy.)

So, since there are at least _some_ locations in the Southern Hemisphere
that mere mortals without special security clearances or whatever can
visit... it is possible to determine that the maps of the stars of the night
sky that organize *them* on the celestial _sphere_ are wholly accurate.

And no matter where you are on the Earth, the path on that celestial
sphere of the point that is your zenith traces out a circle corresponding to
your latitude.

So the Earth is a sphere from which up points in a nice correspondence
to the celestial sphere!