Searching for a book title for a friend...
Corwyn
2018-04-24 03:25:46 UTC
Here is what he gave me.
"trying to remember a novel I read way back long ago about a future where the aliens (Galactic Federation or some such) had blockaded humanity into the Solar system because of primitive/chaotic/infantile/nothing worthwhile here. An alien is touristing around trying to find something arguably unique and worthy about humanity so that A) he can get his degree or status or something, and B) humanity can earn its ticket to the galaxy. He's following some schoolgirl around and has almost despaired, but at some point, she does something interesting because instead of paying attention to the holo-projected ever-present ads she reads something, and it blows his mind. No one else in the galaxy reads.
What title? Author?"
David DeLaney
2018-04-26 00:35:54 UTC
Post by Corwyn
Here is what he gave me.
"trying to remember a novel I read way back long ago about a future where the
aliens (Galactic Federation or some such) had blockaded humanity into the
Solar system because of primitive/chaotic/infantile/nothing worthwhile here.
An alien is touristing around trying to find something arguably unique and
worthy about humanity so that A) he can get his degree or status or
something, and B) humanity can earn its ticket to the galaxy. He's following
some schoolgirl around and has almost despaired, but at some point, she does
something interesting because instead of paying attention to the
holo-projected ever-present ads she reads something, and it blows his mind.
No one else in the galaxy reads.
What title? Author?"
... could this be one of the stories in Mallworld, by Sucharitkul?

Dave, it rings a bell