150th anniversary of "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea"
Add Reply
l***@yahoo.com
2020-06-01 18:09:19 UTC
Like many people, I misunderstood the title when I was little - even though I was (probably) already old enough to understand the word "league."

Here's one anniversary tribute:

https://20thousandleaguesunderthesea.com

And, from 2014:

https://www.abb-conversations.com/2014/06/twenty-thousand-leagues-under-the-sea-2020-version/

First paragraphs:

If Jules Verne had written “Twenty thousand leagues under the sea” 150 years later, he would have included some subsea factories when he approaches the Norwegian coast towards the end of the book.

Jules Verne wrote his famous book about the same time that the world’s first commercial oil well was drilled in Pennsylvania, USA. The book was published in 1870 and at that time the world’s ocean depths were still almost unexplored and certainly not used to extract oil resources.

There are limits to how many parallels can be drawn between a book from the 1800s and modern subsea technology. But there is no doubt that Jules Verne was fascinated by modern science. The French author studied law, but could just as well have been scientist or engineer....

(snip)

Lenona.
l***@yahoo.com
2020-06-01 18:24:58 UTC
https://www.nytimes.com/1954/12/24/archives/the-screen-in-review-20000-leagues-in-128-fantastic-minutes.html
(1954 NYT review of the movie)

And here's the Marvel Comics version. Somehow, the cover isn't as scary as I remembered. (OK, so I'm older now!) I could have sworn the man was in a diver's suit, too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MARVEL-CLASSICS-4-20-000-Leagues-Under-the-Sea-Comic-Book-VF-NM-/191641916538

I also remember renting the VHS of the silent version and watching it with friends. At one point, during the underwater diver scenes, someone commented that when the movie was made, it was likely the first time most people had seen anything RESEMBLING the undersea environment, and then two of us said, in unison: "that's why they're dawdling in this scene..."

Lenona.
Kevrob
2020-06-27 23:55:17 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
https://www.nytimes.com/1954/12/24/archives/the-screen-in-review-20000-leagues-in-128-fantastic-minutes.html
(1954 NYT review of the movie)
And here's the Marvel Comics version. Somehow, the cover isn't as scary as I remembered. (OK, so I'm older now!) I could have sworn the man was in a diver's suit, too.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MARVEL-CLASSICS-4-20-000-Leagues-Under-the-Sea-Comic-Book-VF-NM-/191641916538
https://www.comics.org/issue/66440/cover/4/

... for a larger image. Gil Kane, inked by Dan Adkins.

As for a diving suit image, perhaps you are remembering one
of these?

https://www.comics.org/issue/515159/cover/4/

Or this?

https://www.comics.org/issue/12145/cover/4/

Reprinted in 1963:

https://www.comics.org/issue/18053/cover/4/
l***@yahoo.com
2020-06-28 05:57:14 UTC
Thanks, but no, I never saw those covers.

I DO remember that the man looked scared, so unless you find another cover...

Lenona.

l***@yahoo.com
2020-06-27 22:27:40 UTC
From June 21:

https://www.mwkelly.com/2020/06/21/20000-leagues-remembered/

Excerpt:

"...To celebrate the 150th anniversary of Jules Verne’s avant-garde underwater adventure, Pole to Pole Publishing released 20,000 Leagues Remembered. The anthology of sixteen short stories by modern authors is an eclectic collection with a new spin on the science fiction classic that will bring you back to the time you first came across Verne’s fantastic novel..."

https://stevenrsouthard.com/tag/twenty-thousand-leagues-remembered/
(interview with the author of one of the stories - "The Maelstrom")

Lenona.