In Spaaaaace!
Add Reply
Gene Wirchenko
2013-05-07 20:06:55 UTC
Dear rasfw'ers:

I am curious where the "in spaaaaace" (however many A's) meme
came from. Anyone know?

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
nuny@bid.nes
2013-05-07 20:12:53 UTC
     I am curious where the "in spaaaaace" (however many A's) meme
came from.  Anyone know?
First instance I know of is from the previews at the end of "History
Of The World Part One"- "Jews In Spaaace!"

Sometimes I wonder why there wasn't a Part Two.

Mark L. Fergerson
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2013-05-07 20:16:38 UTC
Post by ***@bid.nes
     I am curious where the "in spaaaaace" (however many A's) meme
came from.  Anyone know?
First instance I know of is from the previews at the end of "History
Of The World Part One"- "Jews In Spaaace!"
Sometimes I wonder why there wasn't a Part Two.
That would be "Spaceballs"...
Jacey Bedford
2013-05-07 20:41:08 UTC
Post by ***@bid.nes
     I am curious where the "in spaaaaace" (however many A's) meme
came from.  Anyone know?
First instance I know of is from the previews at the end of "History
Of The World Part One"- "Jews In Spaaace!"
Sometimes I wonder why there wasn't a Part Two.
That would be "Spaceballs"...
Did Spaceball come before the Muppets?
'Pigs in Spaaaaace!'

Jacey
Jacey Bedford
Tim McCaffrey
2013-05-07 21:03:37 UTC
Post by Jacey Bedford
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by ***@bid.nes
� � �I am curious where the "in spaaaaace" (however many A's) meme
came from. �Anyone know?
First instance I know of is from the previews at the end of "History
Of The World Part One"- "Jews In Spaaace!"
Sometimes I wonder why there wasn't a Part Two.
That would be "Spaceballs"...
Did Spaceball come before the Muppets?
'Pigs in Spaaaaace!'
Muppets was around before Star Wars, but Pigs in Space may have been slightly post Star Wars.

However, Lost in Spaaaace! was certainly before the Muppets :)

- Tim
T***@redbridge.gov.uk
2013-05-08 12:47:12 UTC
Post by Tim McCaffrey
Post by Jacey Bedford
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by ***@bid.nes
� � �I am curious where the "in spaaaaace" (however many A's) meme
came from. �Anyone know?
First instance I know of is from the previews at the end of "History
Of The World Part One"- "Jews In Spaaace!"
Sometimes I wonder why there wasn't a Part Two.
That would be "Spaceballs"...
Did Spaceball come before the Muppets?
'Pigs in Spaaaaace!'
Muppets was around before Star Wars, but Pigs in Space may have been slightly post Star Wars.
However, Lost in Spaaaace! was certainly before the Muppets :)
Yes, but that only ever had the one 'A' in 'space,' at least as far as I can recall. The Muppets is my earliest recollection of the multi-A 'Space.'

There's also the letters page of an issue of Kamandi, the Last Boy on Earth in which a correspondent suggests a revival of Boys' Ranch but set in outer space. Steve Sherman replies that the guy has a career ahead of him as a TV producer.

A sudden memory: High above the atmosphere, trying to get back to here - josie and the Pussycats in Outer Space may have been a trigger for the Kam letter and the Muppets.
Cryptoengineer
2013-05-08 13:02:31 UTC
Post by T***@redbridge.gov.uk
Post by Tim McCaffrey
Post by Jacey Bedford
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by Gene Wirchenko
[...]
I think it goes back at least another 20 years. Try listening to the
opening of a 'Tom Corbett, Space Cadet!' radio show episode on YouTube
(there are many). While the multi-'a' 'spaaaaace!' is not explicitly
voiced, the Muppet show segment is very clearly riffing on that (now)
olde-timey style of announcer.

pt
Cryptoengineer
2013-05-08 13:26:40 UTC
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by T***@redbridge.gov.uk
Post by Tim McCaffrey
Post by Jacey Bedford
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by Gene Wirchenko
[...]
Followup:

Try
http://www.otrfan.com/otr/jis/operation_luna.html

This is an episode of the BBC Radio show 'Journey into Space', which
started in 1953 (Tom Corbett is a year earlier). Both it and the Tom
Corbett referenced above have the announcement style which is
referenced ironically in the Mel Brooks movie and the Muppets. While
the BBC version doesn't have the exaggerated 'spaaaaaaace' of the
parodies, I think it's pretty clear that the later use is based on the
title announcements of the 1950s radio shows.

[ObSF: Tom Corbett is based in Heinlein's 'Space Cadet'.

2013-05-08 13:33:09 UTC
Post by Tim McCaffrey
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by T***@redbridge.gov.uk
Post by Tim McCaffrey
Post by Jacey Bedford
Post by Kay Shapero
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by Cryptoengineer
[...]
And has actual SF books written about him. (The first of which was not bad).
2013-05-08 14:32:25 UTC
Try <http://www.otrfan.com/otr/jis/operation_luna.html>
This is an episode of the BBC Radio show 'Journey into Space', which
started in 1953 (Tom Corbett is a year earlier). Both it and the
Tom Corbett referenced above have the announcement style which is
referenced ironically in the Mel Brooks movie and the Muppets. While
the BBC version doesn't have the exaggerated 'spaaaaaaace' of the
parodies, I think it's pretty clear that the later use is based on the
title announcements of the 1950s radio shows.
It's spooky, anyway, as far as I remember it from recent repeats.
As if the speaker is seated on a bar stool that begins to tilt over
just as he starts speaking, but, being British (or colonial:
I think they launched the rocket from Australia), he doesn't squeal
or yelp as an American would. :-)

A (mostly) non-SF example of the style is the introduction of
_The Now Show_ on BBC Radio 4, a satirical comedy revue. Just now
it isn't being broadcast; it goes in the same slot as _The News Quiz_,
a funny panel game about current events.

Baron Frankenstein classically declaring that "It's alive!" also
comes to mind.
Joel Polowin
There's a loud-but-distant *thump* at the end? :-)
Robert Carnegie
2013-05-08 15:37:05 UTC
It's spooky, anyway, as far as I remember it from recent repeats.
As if the speaker is seated on a bar stool that begins to tilt over
I think they launched the rocket from Australia), he doesn't squeal
or yelp as an American would.  :-)
There's a loud-but-distant *thump* at the end? :-)
I think the thump would be inaudible due to either the rocket take-off
sound effect or the BBC Light Programme Orchestra (on record) having at
the theme music, whichever comes in first, but I haven't listened lately.

If you can access the audio of Frankie Boyle on BBC's _Mock the Week_
saying, "We interrupt tonight's showing of _The Sixth Sense_ with some
breaking news. Oehpr Jvyyvf vf n tubfg!" (/big/ spoiler), it's quite
similar.
Dorothy J Heydt
2013-05-08 15:11:51 UTC
Post by Cryptoengineer
[ObSF: Tom Corbett is based in Heinlein's 'Space Cadet'.
Loosely.
Should you wish to email me, you'd better use the gmail edress.
Kithrup's all spammy and hotmail's been hacked.
Cryptoengineer
2013-05-08 16:49:19 UTC
Post by Cryptoengineer
[ObSF: Tom Corbett is based in Heinlein's 'Space Cadet'.
Loosely.
Loosely, but indubitably:

http://www.solarguard.com/tcrah.htm

pt
t***@eq.edu.au
2020-05-15 04:51:45 UTC
I think you mean the Space Core. He has an ibsession with space, practically to the point where it's annoying.
t***@eq.edu.au
2020-05-15 04:56:21 UTC
I think you mean the Space Core. He has an obsession with space, practically to the point where it's annoying. Seriously. "Space. Space. Space. Can't wait to go to space." Ugh!! He's so damn infuriating!!!! >:( >X()
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-05-15 05:31:04 UTC
Post by t***@eq.edu.au
I think you mean the Space Core. He has an obsession with space,
practically to the point where it's annoying. Seriously. "Space. Space.
Space. Can't wait to go to space." Ugh!! He's so damn infuriating!!!!
Post by t***@eq.edu.au
:( >X()
What ancient post (trn can't see any of it) are you trying to
answer?
2020-05-15 11:41:26 UTC
What ancient post (trn can't see any of it) are you trying to
answer?
A question about the origin of the phrasing, "In Spaaace!" Specifically the drawn out a, rather than the idea of a public domain story, but in a sci-fi setting. You, among others, point to Pigs in Space, with overly dramatic narration parodying '50s radio & TV narration.

Hmm... the last previous reply was seven years and seven days ago.
-Jack
J. Clarke
2020-05-15 11:55:06 UTC
Post by t***@eq.edu.au
:( >X()
What ancient post (trn can't see any of it) are you trying to
answer?
I think that he might simply does not know the difference between a
military unit and the center of an apple.
m***@sky.com
2020-05-15 16:38:54 UTC
A contribution to a Science Fiction newsgroup, complaining that the President is obsessed with Spaaaace! Have you considered the possibility that you find this irritating because you have some other pre-existing issues with the President?
Robert Carnegie
2020-05-15 19:19:17 UTC
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by t***@eq.edu.au
I think you mean the Space Core. He has an obsession with space, practically to the point where it's annoying. Seriously. "Space. Space. Space. Can't wait to go to space." Ugh!! He's so damn infuriating!!!! >:( >X()
A contribution to a Science Fiction newsgroup, complaining that the President is obsessed with Spaaaace! Have you considered the possibility that you find this irritating because you have some other pre-existing issues with the President?
It might be about Elon Musk. Or maybe Richard Branson.

Donald Trump favours a Space Force:

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Force_%28BBC_radio_serial%29>

Others prefer Space Corps:

<https://reddwarf.fandom.com/wiki/Space_Corps_Directives>

"By joining Star Corps [sic] each individual tacitly
consents to give up his inalienable rights to life,
liberty and adequate toilet facilities."
Kevrob
2020-05-16 01:21:18 UTC
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by t***@eq.edu.au
I think you mean the Space Core. He has an obsession with space, practically to the point where it's annoying. Seriously. "Space. Space. Space. Can't wait to go to space." Ugh!! He's so damn infuriating!!!! >:( >X()
A contribution to a Science Fiction newsgroup, complaining that the President is obsessed with Spaaaace! Have you considered the possibility that you find this irritating because you have some other pre-existing issues with the President?
It might be about Elon Musk. Or maybe Richard Branson.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Force_%28BBC_radio_serial%29>
<https://reddwarf.fandom.com/wiki/Space_Corps_Directives>
"By joining Star Corps [sic] each individual tacitly
consents to give up his inalienable rights to life,
liberty and adequate toilet facilities."
"Space Corps" would be apt if it were a part of another service,
as the US Marine Corps is part of the Department of the Navy.
The USSF is a part of the US Air Force, so it may be misnamed.
It used to be the US Air Force Space Command, until recently.

If one could get Congress to agree, we could have an Aerospace
Force, with separate "wings" or corps for atmospheric vehicles
and for ones that travel in space. It was the "US Army Air Corps"
long before it was the "US Air Force."

The SF
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-05-16 04:23:05 UTC
Post by t***@eq.edu.au
Post by t***@eq.edu.au
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by t***@eq.edu.au
I think you mean the Space Core. He has an obsession with space,
practically to the point where it's annoying. Seriously. "Space. Space.
Space. Can't wait to go to space." Ugh!! He's so damn infuriating!!!!
Post by t***@eq.edu.au
:( >X()
Post by t***@eq.edu.au
It might be about Elon Musk. Or maybe Richard Branson.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Force_%28BBC_radio_serial%29>
<https://reddwarf.fandom.com/wiki/Space_Corps_Directives>
"By joining Star Corps [sic] each individual tacitly
consents to give up his inalienable rights to life,
liberty and adequate toilet facilities."
"Space Corps" would be apt if it were a part of another service,
as the US Marine Corps is part of the Department of the Navy.
The USSF is a part of the US Air Force, so it may be misnamed.
It used to be the US Air Force Space Command, until recently.
If one could get Congress to agree, we could have an Aerospace
Force, with separate "wings" or corps for atmospheric vehicles
and for ones that travel in space. It was the "US Army Air Corps"
long before it was the "US Air Force."
Yes. It was still the Air Corps during WWII, when my father was
a pilot cadet instructor, teaching the young sprouts (he himself
was all of 30) how to recognize friendly and enemy aircraft in so
many fractions of a second.
2020-05-16 04:37:25 UTC
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by t***@eq.edu.au
[...]
I got an idea--give the whole mess back to the Army and be done with
it.
The SF
Paul S Person
2020-05-16 16:08:54 UTC
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by t***@eq.edu.au
[...]
Most SF-nal references I have read/seen model it on the Navy anyway.

Well, both have ships, do they not?

So maybe it should be part of the US Navy. Which, after all, has some
experience with an internal land army (Marines) and war-time only
components (Coast Guard, Merchant Marine).
Post by Kevrob
If one could get Congress to agree, we could have an Aerospace
Force, with separate "wings" or corps for atmospheric vehicles
and for ones that travel in space. It was the "US Army Air Corps"
long before it was the "US Air Force."
Ay, there's the rub -- Congress can't agree on anything. Even in the
middle of a National Emergency. Can you spell "utterly irrelevant"?
'Cause that's what Congress /is/.
2020-05-16 01:06:15 UTC
Post by t***@eq.edu.au
Post by t***@eq.edu.au
I think you mean the Space Core. He has an obsession with space,
practically to the point where it's annoying. Seriously. "Space. Space.
Space. Can't wait to go to space." Ugh!! He's so damn infuriating!!!!
Post by t***@eq.edu.au
:( >X()
A contribution to a Science Fiction newsgroup, complaining that the
President is obsessed with Spaaaace! Have you considered the possibility
that you find this irritating because you have some other pre-existing
issues with the President?
Speaking of whom, he's got a flag.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/trump-unveils-space-force-flag-and-super-duper-missile-plan/ar-BB14937a?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout&fullscreen=true#image=1

DOES IT LOOK FAMILIAR???

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Star+Trek+logo&form=IENTNB&mkt=en-us&httpsmsn=1&msnews=1&refig=12fa1796edef4b51fd2aa49c97c8189c&sp=-1&ghc=1&pq=star+trek+logo&sc=8-14&qs=n&sk=&cvid=12fa1796edef4b51fd2aa49c97c8189c
2020-05-16 04:39:32 UTC
Post by t***@eq.edu.au
Post by t***@eq.edu.au
I think you mean the Space Core. He has an obsession with space,
practically to the point where it's annoying. Seriously. "Space. Space.
Space. Can't wait to go to space." Ugh!! He's so damn infuriating!!!!
Post by t***@eq.edu.au
:( >X()
A contribution to a Science Fiction newsgroup, complaining that the
President is obsessed with Spaaaace! Have you considered the possibility
that you find this irritating because you have some other pre-existing
issues with the President?
Speaking of whom, he's got a flag.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/trump-unveils-space-force-flag-and-super-duper-missile-plan/ar-BB14937a?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout&fullscreen=true#image=1
DOES IT LOOK FAMILIAR???
https://www.bing.com/search?q=Star+Trek+logo&form=IENTNB&mkt=en-us&httpsmsn=1&msnews=1&refig=12fa1796edef4b51fd2aa49c97c8189c&sp=-1&ghc=1&pq=star+trek+logo&sc=8-14&qs=n&sk=&cvid=12fa1796edef4b51fd2aa49c97c8189c
Have you ever seen a car with lettered stickers on the back window
spelling out "Starfleet Academy"? Odds are that the academy in
question not a fictional one but the one in Colorado Springs. That's
how they think of themselves, some of them anyway.
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-05-16 13:48:04 UTC
Post by t***@eq.edu.au
Post by t***@eq.edu.au
I think you mean the Space Core. He has an obsession with space,
practically to the point where it's annoying. Seriously. "Space. Space.
Space. Can't wait to go to space." Ugh!! He's so damn infuriating!!!!
Post by t***@eq.edu.au
:( >X()
[...]
Actually, no, I haven't, so I'll reserve judgment.
2020-05-16 16:11:08 UTC
Post by t***@eq.edu.au
Post by t***@eq.edu.au
I think you mean the Space Core. He has an obsession with space,
practically to the point where it's annoying. Seriously. "Space. Space.
Space. Can't wait to go to space." Ugh!! He's so damn infuriating!!!!
Post by t***@eq.edu.au
:( >X()
A contribution to a Science Fiction newsgroup, complaining that the
President is obsessed with Spaaaace! Have you considered the possibility
that you find this irritating because you have some other pre-existing
issues with the President?
Speaking of whom, he's got a flag.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/trump-unveils-space-force-flag-and-super-duper-missile-plan/ar-BB14937a?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout&fullscreen=true#image=1
DOES IT LOOK FAMILIAR???
https://www.bing.com/search?q=Star+Trek+logo&form=IENTNB&mkt=en-us&httpsmsn=1&msnews=1&refig=12fa1796edef4b51fd2aa49c97c8189c&sp=-1&ghc=1&pq=star+trek+logo&sc=8-14&qs=n&sk=&cvid=12fa1796edef4b51fd2aa49c97c8189c
Plagiarism -- a form of theft.

Theft -- the only way uptigh right-wingers know to get things.

Paramount (IIRC) -- intellectual property lawyers ready and rarin' to
go.
Jay E. Morris
2020-05-17 00:16:11 UTC
DOES IT LOOK FAMILIAR???
https://www.bing.com/search?q=Star+Trek+logo&form=IENTNB&mkt=en-us&httpsmsn=1&msnews=1&refig=12fa1796edef4b51fd2aa49c97c8189c&sp=-1&ghc=1&pq=star+trek+logo&sc=8-14&qs=n&sk=&cvid=12fa1796edef4b51fd2aa49c97c8189c
Yep, looks a lot like the Air Force Space Command logo.
2020-05-17 00:59:28 UTC
Post by Jay E. Morris
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
DOES IT LOOK FAMILIAR???
https://www.bing.com/search?q=Star+Trek+logo&form=IENTNB&mkt=en-us&httpsmsn=1&msnews=1&refig=12fa1796edef4b51fd2aa49c97c8189c&sp=-1&ghc=1&pq=star+trek+logo&sc=8-14&qs=n&sk=&cvid=12fa1796edef4b51fd2aa49c97c8189c
Yep, looks a lot like the Air Force Space Command logo.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/94/Air_Force_Space_Command_Logo.svg/1200px-Air_Force_Space_Command_Logo.svg.png
Some have pointed out that the red airfoil of the NASA
"meatball," which dates to 1959, may have influenced
the designers of the Starfleet delta.

https://www.logodesignlove.com/nasa-logo

2020-05-17 02:13:41 UTC
Post by Jay E. Morris
Yep, looks a lot like the Air Force Space Command logo.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/94/Air_Force_Space_Command_Logo.svg/1200px-Air_Force_Space_Command_Logo.svg.png
Some have pointed out that the red airfoil of the NASA
"meatball," which dates to 1959, may have influenced
the designers of the Starfleet delta.
https://www.logodesignlove.com/nasa-logo
A little. Not very much.
2020-05-17 04:20:41 UTC
Post by Jay E. Morris
Yep, looks a lot like the Air Force Space Command logo.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/94/Air_Force_Space_Command_Logo.svg/1200px-Air_Force_Space_Command_Logo.svg.png
Some have pointed out that the red airfoil of the NASA
"meatball," which dates to 1959, may have influenced
the designers of the Starfleet delta.
https://www.logodesignlove.com/nasa-logo
A little. Not very much.
A sad aside, the Space Force's Captain Thomas Woods*
has passed away. Ad Astra, Captain!

https://apnews.com/5b1f64e7090f2d48190d47adddd19a18

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Willard

2020-05-17 22:59:12 UTC
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by t***@eq.edu.au
I think you mean the Space Core. He has an obsession with space, practically to the point where it's annoying. Seriously. "Space. Space. Space. Can't wait to go to space." Ugh!! He's so damn infuriating!!!! >:( >X()
A contribution to a Science Fiction newsgroup, complaining that the President is obsessed with Spaaaace! Have you considered the possibility that you find this irritating because you have some other pre-existing issues with the President?
Oh, the president. Reading from the beginning of the thread, I thought it might be a reference to a classmate of Tom Corbett, Space Cadet... Buzz? Happy?

OK, X-37B launch, someone starts typing in "s p a c e c o r" and somehow "space" and "corbett" bring this thread from the vasty deep, and, seeing "In Spaaaaace!" and "space cadet," did not think it anything else but a mocking reference to affairs of the moment, so a safe place to unburden comment.

I commend such self-confidence in casting opinions out into the world. I know I need the validation of knowing that people read my posts and understand them (perhaps sometimes agree with them).

For usefulness, however, this ranks below the recent addendum to the Terminator 3 FAQ that made sure the next person to look it up knew the movie sucked donkey balls, and that ranks below those who answer decades-old questions whether they have been answered elsewhere in the thread or not, and who also wait not for thanks.
-Jack
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-05-18 00:04:14 UTC
Post by t***@eq.edu.au
Post by t***@eq.edu.au
Post by t***@eq.edu.au
I think you mean the Space Core. He has an obsession with space,
practically to the point where it's annoying. Seriously. "Space. Space.
Space. Can't wait to go to space." Ugh!! He's so damn infuriating!!!!
Post by t***@eq.edu.au
:( >X()
A contribution to a Science Fiction newsgroup, complaining that the
President is obsessed with Spaaaace! Have you considered the possibility
that you find this irritating because you have some other pre-existing
issues with the President?
Oh, the president. Reading from the beginning of the thread, I thought
it might be a reference to a classmate of Tom Corbett, Space Cadet...
Buzz? Happy?
Oooh, that was a long time ago. EARLY fifties.

I still remember a one-page newspaper article entitled
"Whispering Willy." Seems _Space Cadet_ was broadcast live,
before a live audience, and afterwards the actor playing Corbett
had to meet the public. Who wanted to ask him questions about
science and space travel.

So they fitted him out with an unobtrusive earplug and concealed
Willy Ley behind a curtan, and let him provide the answers for
the actor to relay to the public.
2020-05-18 17:47:59 UTC
[...]

As a live-show actor, I wonder if hd picked up on answers to faqs. Cue the joke about the physicist and his chauffeur. I'm fascinated by live TV drama: not able to "cut" between scenes by cutting film and splicing, they did it by switching between cameras, on the fly! The BBC shot Doctor Who to videotape, but tape was a bear to edit, so they shot it "as live" into the '80s, I think to the end of the first show.
-Jack
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-05-18 19:39:34 UTC
Post by Jack Bohn
[...]

/channeling Heinlein, to the rocket scientist who asked him why
he didn't use a computer to plot a Hohmann transfer orbit ... in
1947

This was 1952, the same year in which CBS's Walter Cronkite (then
a fresh young junior announcer, put in charge of the room-filling
computer's take on the general election, announced an Eisenhower
landslade ... and everybody said, "No, it's going to be very
close!!" until the results were in, and duh, the computer was
right.

But FAQs there were none.
Post by Jack Bohn
Cue
the joke about the physicist and his chauffeur.
Care to repeat it? I don't think I ever heard it.
Post by Jack Bohn
I'm fascinated by live
TV drama: not able to "cut" between scenes by cutting film and splicing,
they did it by switching between cameras, on the fly! The BBC shot
Doctor Who to videotape, but tape was a bear to edit, so they shot it
"as live" into the '80s, I think to the end of the first show.
I don't know about when they stopped shooting "as live," but if
you want to take a look at a reconstruction of what it was like
[summary: hellishly difficult], there's the anniversary special,
"Adventures in Space and Time," with David Bradley playing William
Hartnell to an uncanny degree of accuracy.
2020-05-18 22:06:14 UTC
Other television drama, like very early shows of
_The Avengers_ in Britain (spy stuff, nothing to
do with superheroes), were acted and broadcast live,
written and set up to suit this obviously.
E.g. an actor leaves one scene and presumably
takes their place in a different set while other
players fill in the time. What I've seen of this
is intriguing. As described, earliest _Doctor Who_
tried to perform this way as much as possible, but
to videotape. Stood were a manageable nuisance.

Wikipedia explains better the still earlier innovation
of <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Love_Lucy>
that I recently heard discussed, in some quite
Similar words, on BBC radio biography _Great Lives_
<https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04jk3qm> (good.)
Simply, they filmed it, in Hollywood, but this was
an expensive advance on performing live in New York
on TV for the U.S. East Coast and Midwest and on
"filmed from the TV" "kinescope" for the West Coast.
Multiple film cameras were present (and an audience),
as in 1960s _Doctor Who_ (TV cameras, no audience),
so a scene was not assembled shot by shot but
performed as a whole, pretty much; dramatically.

I've read material for Doctor Who fans which
I think says they've gone back to "filming"
by shots with one extremely expensive digital
camera, and a collection of articles about
studios used since 1963, each of which is
described as dreadfully constrained in size
compared to the generous expanse of the next,
probably truthfully but it is odd to read it
that way.

I haven't got to whether _I Love Lucy_ filmed
in advance to include outdoor locations:
_Doctor Who_ tended to do that on actual film
several months before finishing a story in the
studio... once they stopped trying to put the
show out once a week for most of each year.
Jack Bohn
2020-05-19 02:24:43 UTC
Post by Jack Bohn
I still remember a one-page newspaper article entitled
"Whispering Willy."  Seems _Space Cadet_ was broadcast live,
before a live audience, and afterwards the actor playing Corbett
had to meet the public.  Who wanted to ask him questions about
science and space travel.
So they fitted him out with an unobtrusive earplug and concealed
Willy Ley behind a curtan, and let him provide the answers for
the actor to relay to the public.
As a live-show actor, I wonder if hd picked up on answers to faqs.
But FAQs there were none.
Not files of compiled answers, but I'm sure there were questions frequently asked, and the actor relayed similar answers from Willy.
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by Jack Bohn
Cue
the joke about the physicist and his chauffeur.
Care to repeat it? I don't think I ever heard it.
A physicist was on a lecture tour that arranged for a car and driver. The chauffeur sat in the audience through the lectures, after about a dozen, he began entertaining the physicist on the trip by repeating the lecture verbatim, including imitations of the scientist's mannerisms. The physicist said, "Our next stop is a social, not an academic function, and no one knows what I look like. Would you like to see if you can do it for real?" "Sure. You can wear my hat and jacket, and pretend to be a chauffeur, and I can loosen my tie and rumple my shirt and pretend to be a physicist." They played the imposture perfectly, until after the lecture an eager youngster came up with a question, naming several theories, and rattling off some equations. The chauffeur said, "I'm surprised you have difficulty understanding that. Why, my driver could answer such a simple question!"
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by Jack Bohn
I'm fascinated by live
TV drama: not able to "cut" between scenes by cutting film and splicing,
they did it by switching between cameras, on the fly! The BBC shot
Doctor Who to videotape, but tape was a bear to edit, so they shot it
"as live" into the '80s, I think to the end of the first show.
I don't know about when they stopped shooting "as live," but if
you want to take a look at a reconstruction of what it was like
[summary: hellishly difficult], there's the anniversary special,
"Adventures in Space and Time," with David Bradley playing William
Hartnell to an uncanny degree of accuracy.
I find fascinating the resource management. They did not have a superfluity of cameras, so had to know when one camera's coverage of the current scene was no longer needed, and free it to move to cover a different angle in the next scene. Material mentions a "camera script" and "camera rehearsal" as one of the last rehearsals before recording. A special feature on the "Dalek Invasion of Earth" shows how they assembled the scene of the Daleks rumbling through the corridors of their ship and out the ramp.
-Jack
Jerry Brown
2020-05-19 11:44:40 UTC
On Mon, 18 May 2020 19:24:43 -0700 (PDT), Jack Bohn
Post by Jack Bohn
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by Jack Bohn
[...]
They also had to factor in that all the cameras were cabled into a
central hub, so the non-active cameras would periodically have to
reposition (without passing in front of the active camera) to avoid
getting tangled up.

Also the cameras has no zoom lenses, just a rotating turret with 3 (or
4?) fixed focal length lenses which would have to be selected (with a
noisy clunk, sometimes heard onscreen).
--
Jerry Brown

A cat may look at a king
(but probably won't bother)
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2013-05-07 20:42:27 UTC
Post by Gene Wirchenko
I am curious where the "in spaaaaace" (however many A's) meme
came from. Anyone know?
Sincerely,
Gene Wirchenko
The Muppet Show?
That'd be my guess. Pigs in . . .

Kay Shapero
2013-05-07 20:18:18 UTC
In article <***@4ax.com>, ***@telus.net
says...
Post by Gene Wirchenko
I am curious where the "in spaaaaace" (however many A's) meme
came from. Anyone know?
Possibly The Muppet Show, which had a segment entitled "Pigs In
Spaaaace!" That IS the first time I encountered it.
--
Kay Shapero
Address munged, try my first name at kayshapero dot net.
A.G.McDowell
2013-05-07 20:18:55 UTC
Post by Gene Wirchenko
I am curious where the "in spaaaaace" (however many A's) meme
came from. Anyone know?
Sincerely,
Gene Wirchenko
I can date it back at least as far as "Pigs in Space" from the Muppets.
According to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Muppet_Show#Recurring_skits "and the
announcer would simply claim it was "time
for...Piiiiiigs...iiiin...spaaaaaaace!" " - of course, since this was
itself a parody, this could have been pinched from something earlier.
Bo Lindbergh
2013-05-08 00:22:26 UTC
Post by Gene Wirchenko
I am curious where the "in spaaaaace" (however many A's) meme
came from. Anyone know?
Nope, but http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RecycledINSPACE
might help.

/Bo Lindbergh
Dorothy J Heydt
2013-05-08 05:12:03 UTC
Post by Gene Wirchenko
I am curious where the "in spaaaaace" (however many A's) meme
came from. Anyone know?
The oldest one I know of is "Pigs in Spaaaaaace!" from the Muppet
Show. But there could easily be older ones.