[OT] Are You God?
2021-09-14 00:10:35 UTC
I ran across this video on YouTube the other day.

First things first. He manages to get through the _entire_ video without once
mentioning "Tat tvam asi" (Thou art that), which is perhaps the best known
expression of the idea which, presumably, he is trying to convey.

But then, he also avoids presenting the... limitations... to what he is saying, as
compared to how it might be percieved in a literal sense.

As in...

When I saw this video, I said, "Dr. Wayne Dyer, quit talking nonsense", and
yet he continued to speak. So much for that theory.

Let's get started.

According to Wikipedia, Tat tvam asi is one of the four Mahavakyas:

Prajnanam Brahma - Knowledge is Brahma
Ayam Atma Brahma - This Self is Brahma
Tat Tvam Asi - Thou art that
Aham Brahmasmi - I am Brahma

I can certainly understand, though, that Dr. Dyer didn't want to
go through an explanation like this one:

https://www.sivanandaonline.org//?cmd=displaysection&section_id=784

Instead, he quoted a source better known to, and more trusted by,
Western audiences, which I will quote at greater length, to ensure that context is not missed:

John 10:24-38
Then came the Jews round about him, and said unto him, How long
dost thou make us to doubt? If thou be the Christ, tell us plainly.
Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye believed not: the works that I
do in my Father's name, they bear witness of me.
But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.
My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither
shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is
able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.
I and my Father are one.
Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him.
Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my
Father; for which of those works do ye stone me?
The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not;
but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyuself
God.
Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?
If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the
scripture cannot be broken;
Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world,
Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?
If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not.
But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him.

The next question I had was, just where in the Old Testament - which
contains the Book of Job, which rather drastically underscores the
vast gulf between man and God - does it say, "Ye are gods"?

In the eighty-second Psalm, of course, since in this age we have Google.

God stands in the congregation of the mighty;
He judges among the gods.
How long will you judge unjustly,
And accept the persons of the wicked?
Selah!
Defend the poor and the fatherless.
Do justice to the afflicted and needy.
Deliver the poor and needy:
Rid them out of the hand of the wicked.
They know not, neither will they understand;
They walk on in darkness:
All the foundations of the Earth are out fo course.
I have said, Ye are gods;
And all of you are children of the most High.
But ye shall die like men,
And fall like one of the princes.
Arise, O God, judge the Earth:
For thou shalt inherit all nations.

As it says "I have said", I checked for another
reference, but I seem to have misunderstood it, and looked at the
wrong part of the Book of Exodus.

So I have not yet come to a conclusion about how much of this
New Age-y stuff can be said to also be in the Bible.

He does cite a book, as well... The Power of Awareness, by Neville
Goddard.

And he notes that Neville Goddard cites... The 'I Am' Discourses.

Now, as it happens, at a library book sale, I ran across a bound volume
of their newsletter, and so I recognized where Elizabeth Clare
Prophet got her ideas when she started up.

As they got their messages from the "Ascended Masters" through
mediumship, or, as they say today, "channeling"... well, this is
"dealing with familiar spirits, an area strictly forbidden by God", and
here, Chick Publications is not mischaracterizing the sense of the
Bible.

And, indeed, I see that Dr. Wayne Dyer _has_ appeared on the Oprah
Winfrey show, I knew there was some reason that name was familiar.

John Savard
Charles Packer
2021-09-15 08:01:07 UTC
I ran across this video on YouTube the other day.
http://youtu.be/jbn4SoFJD48
First things first. He manages to get through the _entire_ video without
once mentioning "Tat tvam asi" (Thou art that), which is perhaps the
best known expression of the idea which, presumably, he is trying to
convey.
Crickets...
To the fully secular mind, this question is a big "So what?"
and thus is not a discussion likely to be picked up. However, I've
been spending some time researching the undercurrent of millenarianism
in journalism, so it resonates just a bit. The question is, what is
the significance of an Eastern-sounding utterance in the principal
holy text of the West? Is that a fair summary?

http://cpacker.org