Questionable Content: 3907: Socially Radioactive
2019-01-01 22:25:34 UTC
Questionable Content: 3907: Socially Radioactive
https://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3907

You know, I always wondered what happens when a Crushbot falls on
another bot ? The question brought forward by Philip Dicks excellent
and strange "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" can extended by this
question. Do dead androids dream ?

https://www.amazon.com/Androids-Dream-Electric-Sheep-inspiration-ebook/dp/B000SEGTI0

Lynn
Wolffan
2019-01-01 22:56:24 UTC
Questionable Content: 3907: Socially Radioactive
https://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3907
You know, I always wondered what happens when a Crushbot falls on
another bot ? The question brought forward by Philip Dicks excellent
and strange "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" can extended by this
question. Do dead androids dream ?
https://www.amazon.com/Androids-Dream-Electric-Sheep-inspiration-ebook/dp/B000
SEGTI0
Lynn
An AI which runs a nuke is almost cool. A _depressed_ AI running a nuke is
NOT cool. Nope, nope, nope. Get Lemon back to her main job, fast.
Dimensional Traveler
2019-01-02 07:35:29 UTC
Post by Wolffan
Post by Lynn McGuire
Questionable Content: 3907: Socially Radioactive
https://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3907
You know, I always wondered what happens when a Crushbot falls on
another bot ? The question brought forward by Philip Dicks excellent
and strange "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" can extended by this
question. Do dead androids dream ?
https://www.amazon.com/Androids-Dream-Electric-Sheep-inspiration-ebook/dp/B000
SEGTI0
Lynn
An AI which runs a nuke is almost cool. A _depressed_ AI running a nuke is
NOT cool. Nope, nope, nope. Get Lemon back to her main job, fast.
"Dark Star"
Exactly. One of the most chilling movies that I have ever seen.

2019-01-02 16:02:41 UTC
Post by Wolffan
Post by Lynn McGuire
Questionable Content: 3907: Socially Radioactive
https://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3907
You know, I always wondered what happens when a Crushbot falls on
another bot ? The question brought forward by Philip Dicks excellent
and strange "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" can extended by this
question. Do dead androids dream ?
https://www.amazon.com/Androids-Dream-Electric-Sheep-inspiration-ebook/dp/B000
SEGTI0
Lynn
An AI which runs a nuke is almost cool. A _depressed_ AI running a nuke is
NOT cool. Nope, nope, nope. Get Lemon back to her main job, fast.
TTBOMK, the only sentient AIs shown in the strip up this point are robots, and
Station. The 'substrate' which is shown to be running Roko is about the size
of an old audio cassette.

Have AIs been shown in any other 'integrated' roles? AI cars, for example?

If I was building an AI for a specific role, I'd want to hardwire it to be
ecstatic about fulfilling that role, and not capable of depression.

Of course, its possible that in the QC universe, sapience is an emergent
quality, and you can't get it without the full package, including the capability
for existential dread and depression.

2019-01-02 17:19:17 UTC
Post by Wolffan
Post by Lynn McGuire
SEGTI0
Lynn
An AI which runs a nuke is almost cool. A _depressed_ AI running a nuke is
NOT cool. Nope, nope, nope. Get Lemon back to her main job, fast.
TTBOMK, the only sentient AIs shown in the strip up this point are robots, and
Station. The 'substrate' which is shown to be running Roko is about the size
of an old audio cassette.
Have AIs been shown in any other 'integrated' roles? AI cars, for example?
If I was building an AI for a specific role, I'd want to hardwire it to be
ecstatic about fulfilling that role, and not capable of depression.
Of course, its possible that in the QC universe, sapience is an emergent
quality, and you can't get it without the full package, including the capability
for existential dread and depression.
And as in many classic works of SF (e.g., "A Logic Named Joe" and
_The Moon is a Harsh Mistress_), sentience can arise in complex
AIs without the intention -- and to the surprise -- of whoever
designed the AI.

Oh, yes, and "Q.U.R.," in which robots get neurotic when they're
given humanoid chassis, when something specifically functional
for their jobs would make them happier.

Maybe the AI running the nuke was supposed to be only as smart as,
say, a dog, happy to do its job nonstop (since it doesn't need to
sleep), its only reward the praise of its master. If that wasn't
the intention of its designer, somebody has made a serious
mistake, or at least has suffered unforseen consequences, and
we're getting into serious civil rights issues here.

Cf. _Freefall_, in which civil rights for AIs (both mechanical
and biological) are an important theme.
2019-02-05 07:21:00 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
If I was building an AI for a specific role, I'd want to hardwire it to be
ecstatic about fulfilling that role, and not capable of depression.
Mmmm... let's go for "mildly happy", shall we? Ecstatic comes with its own set
of work issues.

Dave, as does "curious"
Leif Roar Moldskred
2019-02-05 09:55:45 UTC
Post by David DeLaney
Mmmm... let's go for "mildly happy", shall we? Ecstatic
comes with its own set of work issues.
Ah, yes. The _happy_ paperclip maximiser.
--
Leif Roar Moldskred
For real fun, though, build a paperclip maximiser maximiser.
Freezer
2019-01-02 00:36:12 UTC
If I don't reply to this Lynn McGuire <***@gmail.com>
post, the terroists win.
Post by Lynn McGuire
Questionable Content: 3907: Socially Radioactive
https://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3907
You know, I always wondered what happens when a Crushbot falls
on another bot ? The question brought forward by Philip Dicks
excellent and strange "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep"
can extended by this question. Do dead androids dream ?
https://www.amazon.com/Androids-Dream-Electric-Sheep-inspiratio
n-ebook/dp/B000SEGTI0
Lynn
My takeaway is the same as Basilisk's: Nuclear reactors get
depressed?!
--
My name is Freezer and my anti-drug is porn.
http://mst3kfreezer.livejournal.com/
@allhailfreezer
Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
2019-01-02 12:59:12 UTC
Questionable Content: 3907: Socially Radioactive
   https://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3907
You know, I always wondered what happens when a Crushbot falls on
another bot ?
My main problem with the plotline is that it seems Roko is taking this
a lot harder than I'd expect. With a "very robust" insurance policy it
would seem even a totaled body could be completely replaced just like
new (unlike similar injuries to humans) and without the weeks, months,
or years of rehab of a human being recovering from major injury followed
by surgery.
--
Sea Wasp
/^\
http://seawasp.dreamwidth.org
Peter Trei
2019-01-02 14:20:38 UTC
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Post by Lynn McGuire
Questionable Content: 3907: Socially Radioactive
   https://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3907
You know, I always wondered what happens when a Crushbot falls on
another bot ?
My main problem with the plotline is that it seems Roko is taking this
a lot harder than I'd expect. With a "very robust" insurance policy it
would seem even a totaled body could be completely replaced just like
new (unlike similar injuries to humans) and without the weeks, months,
or years of rehab of a human being recovering from major injury followed
by surgery.
Roko has just undergone a major career and self-image change. I wonder what
she'll pick out as a next body? We've already seen AIs in the strip get major
upgrades.

pt
Carl Fink
2019-01-02 15:32:49 UTC
2019-01-02 00:11:23 UTC
Questionable Content: 3907: Socially Radioactive
https://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3907
You know, I always wondered what happens when a Crushbot falls on
another bot ? The question brought forward by Philip Dicks excellent
and strange "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" can extended by this
question. Do dead androids dream ?
https://www.amazon.com/Androids-Dream-Electric-Sheep-inspiration-ebook/dp/B000SEGTI0
She is not dead, but sleepeth.
2019-01-03 23:35:20 UTC
Questionable Content: 3907: Socially Radioactive
https://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3907
You know, I always wondered what happens when a Crushbot falls on
another bot ? The question brought forward by Philip Dicks excellent
and strange "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" can extended by this
question. Do dead androids dream ?
https://www.amazon.com/Androids-Dream-Electric-Sheep-inspiration-ebook/dp/B000SEGTI0
She is not dead, but sleepeth.
She is not happy. And Melon is singing to her.
https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3909

2019-01-04 00:44:46 UTC
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
She is not dead, but sleepeth.
She is not happy. And Melon is singing to her.
https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3909
But she can't hear Melon singing; Lemon had to tell her. (My
sympathies to Lemon at this point.)