206 The Unlikeable Demon Hunter (Nava Katz Book 1) by Deborah Wilde
2020-03-22 02:11:26 UTC
206 The Unlikeable Demon Hunter (Nava Katz Book 1) by Deborah Wilde

Centuries ago King David (yes, that one) set up a secret organization
of demon hunters. These days it's no longer strictly Jewish, though
Rabbis still hold most of the leadership positions. That's stuff
Nava Katz has known for years, since her brother is slated for
induction to the society. It's certainly not anything she's actually
*interested* in. In fact, these days, she's most interested in
drowning her sorrows in booze and unsatisfying hookups. She certainly
didn't think that when she straggled home half drunk and found the
induction ceremony about to start that it had anything to do with
*her* aside from being hung-overly happy for her brother. She
*certainly* didn't expect the ceremony to *choose* her. But now
she's stuck with it. Given that the brotherhood doesn't take women,
and that she never did the pre-reading and that she's suddenly on
the demon radar, she has fairly little chance of living out the
next few weeks. Of course said brotherhood is full of smoking hot
(if damaged) men and includes a certain cocky but incredibly talented
ex-boy-band-member and with her new healing abilities, she may be
able to dance again..

Actually as Urban Heroines go, Nava isn't that unlikeable, thought
she is certainly abrasive. I have some problems with the setting.
All demons have a "kill spot" where they are vulnerable to a
brotherhood attack. To me this argues they were designed. It's
probably not an issue we are supposed to think about, but it's just
too convenient not to. Also, there's the whole "free will" issue.
Do demons have to be evil? Is it OK to hunt down one who hasn't
actually done anything yet? We may be supposed to think about this
one as we do have a half-demon example who isn't that bad, and the
big-bad only comes after Nava after she handjobs his son to death..
Robert Carnegie
2020-03-31 14:10:36 UTC
[...]
Is the voonerable spot in a different place on
each demon? Like with dragons...

Sontarans are very vulnerable on the probic vent,
on the back of their neck. They are clones designed
for war, and the thinking, if I recall, is that
they should not be facing away from the enemy.
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Also, there's the whole "free will" issue.
Do demons have to be evil? Is it OK to hunt down one who hasn't
actually done anything yet? We may be supposed to think about this
one as we do have a half-demon example who isn't that bad, and the
big-bad only comes after Nava after she handjobs his son to death..
Is that his voonerable spot...

The Harry Potter books are pitched to children
and it's reasonable to accept that Slytherin House
at the magic school exists merely to provide
a supply of bad guys, but it can be read more subtly.
One subtlety is that even in good times, human
magical beings, i.e. wizards and witches, have
quite oppressive relationships, collectively, to
other magical, um, races. And the school is
almost exclusively human, except for several
teachers. Student fees paid in gold partly see
to that, I expect. Also, human magic is its
own art - the school name is gendered but the
classes aren't.

Anyway... are all demons considered bad in this
book's setting? Sure, why not?
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2020-03-31 14:35:18 UTC
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Also, there's the whole "free will" issue.
Do demons have to be evil? Is it OK to hunt down one who hasn't
actually done anything yet? We may be supposed to think about this
one as we do have a half-demon example who isn't that bad, and the
big-bad only comes after Nava after she handjobs his son to death..
Is that his voonerable spot...
That's half the world's voonerable spot!
Post by Robert Carnegie
The Harry Potter books are pitched to children
and it's reasonable to accept that Slytherin House
at the magic school exists merely to provide
a supply of bad guys, but it can be read more subtly.
One subtlety is that even in good times, human
magical beings, i.e. wizards and witches, have
quite oppressive relationships, collectively, to
other magical, um, races. And the school is
almost exclusively human, except for several
teachers. Student fees paid in gold partly see
to that, I expect. Also, human magic is its
own art - the school name is gendered but the
classes aren't.
Anyway... are all demons considered bad in this
book's setting? Sure, why not?
Just finished book 5 and that's still the stance. It's OK to torture
demons too.. Still not sure we're supposed to be entirely onboard with that.