Recommendation request
Default User
2020-06-06 05:37:39 UTC
I mentioned in a review I posted recently:

I was hoping for a series somewhat like Jack McDevitt's Alex
Benedict/Chase Kolpath books, where they'd head off to new locations
each book and have a new adventure.

There are tons of books out there these days. Has anyone run across
something like that in a recent book or series? It doesn't have to be
artifact hunting, but some sort of visit to a new location and
investigate something or the other is what I'd be interest in.

Brian
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2020-06-06 07:03:14 UTC
Post by Default User
I was hoping for a series somewhat like Jack McDevitt's Alex
Benedict/Chase Kolpath books, where they'd head off to new locations
each book and have a new adventure.
There are tons of books out there these days. Has anyone run across
something like that in a recent book or series? It doesn't have to be
artifact hunting, but some sort of visit to a new location and
investigate something or the other is what I'd be interest in.
Brian
That's sort of the template for Tubb's "Dumerest" series. Earl arrives
on a grim world in desperate circumstances, loves & loses a local woman,
dodges the Cyclan and if the wind is at his back picks up a plot token for
his overarching quest.
his overarching quest.
Don
2020-06-06 16:02:38 UTC
Post by Default User
I was hoping for a series somewhat like Jack McDevitt's Alex
Benedict/Chase Kolpath books, where they'd head off to new locations
each book and have a new adventure.
There are tons of books out there these days. Has anyone run across
something like that in a recent book or series? It doesn't have to be
artifact hunting, but some sort of visit to a new location and
investigate something or the other is what I'd be interest in.
That's sort of the template for Tubb's "Dumerest" series. Earl arrives
on a grim world in desperate circumstances, loves & loses a local woman,
dodges the Cyclan and if the wind is at his back picks up a plot token for
his overarching quest.
his overarching quest.
Although it's been used in the group before, "plot token" remains a new
concept to me. It seems Perry Rhodan's search for the planet of eternal
life may use plot tokens. Issue Nr. 2 reveals commander Thora's mandate
to use her Arkonide "ship of the line" to find the planet. Then the
topic's dropped for a few issues until it crops up again and the next
little tidbit is revealed.

Danke,
--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``.
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,.
Chrysi Cat
2020-06-06 16:23:03 UTC
Post by Don
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by Default User
[...]
AFAIU, the term refers to a group of McGuffins--in practice, they're
usually sequential, one leading to another, though they don't have to be
(though the only way to know they aren't for sure is for them to exist
in a video game AND be obtainable in any order--like Mega Man's
weaponry--because in theory there's very little written fiction where
people are going to put up with the same premise leading to three
different plots and all being IN THE ACTUAL CANON rather than just
different fanfic canons).

I also think Tropes prefers the term "plot coupons" for them but that
it's the same thing either way.
--
Chrysi Cat
Transgoddess, quick to anger.
Magewolf
2020-06-06 18:11:17 UTC
Post by Chrysi Cat
Post by Don
Post by Default User
[...]
It is often used for things that solve problems that only exist so the
plot token has to be looked for. Such as having a mini heist movie in
the middle of a book to get a card to get through customs instead of
just bribing someone. In a setting were bribery has been shown to be
rampant.
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-06-06 18:20:25 UTC
Post by Don
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by Default User
I was hoping for a series somewhat like Jack McDevitt's Alex
Benedict/Chase Kolpath books, where they'd head off to new locations
each book and have a new adventure.
There are tons of books out there these days. Has anyone run across
something like that in a recent book or series? It doesn't have to be
artifact hunting, but some sort of visit to a new location and
investigate something or the other is what I'd be interest in.
That's sort of the template for Tubb's "Dumerest" series. Earl arrives
on a grim world in desperate circumstances, loves & loses a local woman,
dodges the Cyclan and if the wind is at his back picks up a plot token for
his overarching quest.
his overarching quest.
Although it's been used in the group before, "plot token" remains a new
concept to me.
Perhaps it's equivalent to "Macguffin"?
2020-06-06 18:46:54 UTC
Post by Don
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by Default User
I was hoping for a series somewhat like Jack McDevitt's Alex
Benedict/Chase Kolpath books, where they'd head off to new locations
each book and have a new adventure.
There are tons of books out there these days. Has anyone run across
something like that in a recent book or series? It doesn't have to be
artifact hunting, but some sort of visit to a new location and
investigate something or the other is what I'd be interest in.
That's sort of the template for Tubb's "Dumerest" series. Earl arrives
on a grim world in desperate circumstances, loves & loses a local woman,
dodges the Cyclan and if the wind is at his back picks up a plot token for
his overarching quest.
his overarching quest.
Although it's been used in the group before, "plot token" remains a new
concept to me.
Perhaps it's equivalent to "Macguffin"?
Well, I didn't look up the meaning before using the word, but in the case
of Dumerest, he is looking for clues as to the location of his lost
homeworld, 'Earth'. Every so often he finds one. Tubb is on record somewhere
saying he came up with the premise of the series's meta-plot because it
game him an excuse to send Earl anywhere, to whatever world or society he
was interested in writing about while still tying things together.
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2020-06-06 19:28:50 UTC
Post by Don
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by Default User
I was hoping for a series somewhat like Jack McDevitt's Alex
Benedict/Chase Kolpath books, where they'd head off to new locations
each book and have a new adventure.
There are tons of books out there these days. Has anyone run across
something like that in a recent book or series? It doesn't have to be
artifact hunting, but some sort of visit to a new location and
investigate something or the other is what I'd be interest in.
That's sort of the template for Tubb's "Dumerest" series. Earl arrives
on a grim world in desperate circumstances, loves & loses a local woman,
dodges the Cyclan and if the wind is at his back picks up a plot token for
his overarching quest.
his overarching quest.
Although it's been used in the group before, "plot token" remains a new
concept to me.
Perhaps it's equivalent to "Macguffin"?
"Plot token" suggests a multipart fetch quest, while "MacGuffin" is more a
singular thing.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
'It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? `I protect the lives and
property of my citizens; you keep the public safe from an unreasonable
thought control.' -- Bernard, Yes Minister
Robert Carnegie
2020-06-06 19:43:22 UTC
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by Don
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by Default User
[...]
McGuffin is the excuse for characters to run around and
make a fuss, like the valuable and portable Maltese Falcon,
if that isn't a spoiler.

I think these coupons are the type that you collect to
claim a prize. In-story, they may be artifacts or
technologies that can be fitted together to construct
the thing which saves the day. Doctor Who spent a
series chasing the "Key to Time", which was a powerful
tool mainly consisting of glass-like pieces that fitted
together in a cube shape. However, almost any object in
the universe might be a piece of the Key in disguise,
including a guest character and a major astronomical body.
You had a magic wand to tap things with, to find out.
Magewolf
Spoilers: Which he then scatters back across the universe again.
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-06-06 19:52:06 UTC
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by Don
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by Default User
[...]
Hm, yes, that works, doesn't it? "I take my characters through a
series of fascinating adventures; you have found a formula that
works and continue to work it; he has done Planet of the Week
forty-seven times."
2020-06-06 19:26:29 UTC
Post by Default User
I was hoping for a series somewhat like Jack McDevitt's Alex
Benedict/Chase Kolpath books, where they'd head off to new locations
each book and have a new adventure.
There are tons of books out there these days. Has anyone run across
something like that in a recent book or series? It doesn't have to be
artifact hunting, but some sort of visit to a new location and
investigate something or the other is what I'd be interest in.
Obviously not recent, but have you read Andre Norton's
"Solar Queen" novels, about a pretty small interstellar
Free Trader spaceship so named?
Especially _Sargasso of Space_, never mind why or
what a sargasso is. ;-)

Also nearly all of _Doctor Who_. Sometimes there's
a mission, some early stories are simply visiting the
past by time travel, mostly it's exploring for fun.
_Star Trek_ isn't officially that except for shore
leave stories, but most of it might as well be.
Lynn McGuire
2020-06-07 00:58:23 UTC
Post by Default User
I was hoping for a series somewhat like Jack McDevitt's Alex
Benedict/Chase Kolpath books, where they'd head off to new locations
each book and have a new adventure.
There are tons of books out there these days. Has anyone run across
something like that in a recent book or series? It doesn't have to be
artifact hunting, but some sort of visit to a new location and
investigate something or the other is what I'd be interest in.
Brian
Have you tried Dennis Taylor's awesome Bobiverse ?
https://www.amazon.com/We-Are-Legion-Bob-Bobiverse/dp/1680680587/

Or The Expanse ?
https://www.amazon.com/Leviathan-Wakes-James-S-Corey/dp/0316129089/

2020-06-07 01:33:35 UTC
On Sat, 6 Jun 2020 19:58:23 -0500, Lynn McGuire
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Default User
I was hoping for a series somewhat like Jack McDevitt's Alex
Benedict/Chase Kolpath books, where they'd head off to new locations
each book and have a new adventure.
There are tons of books out there these days. Has anyone run across
something like that in a recent book or series? It doesn't have to be
artifact hunting, but some sort of visit to a new location and
investigate something or the other is what I'd be interest in.
Brian
Have you tried Dennis Taylor's awesome Bobiverse ?
https://www.amazon.com/We-Are-Legion-Bob-Bobiverse/dp/1680680587/
Or The Expanse ?
https://www.amazon.com/Leviathan-Wakes-James-S-Corey/dp/0316129089/
Lynn
Seanan McGuire's "October Daye" _might_ be the sort of thing you want
if you're OK with Urban Fantasy. While she starts out in San
Francisco every time and some of the stories don't leave town, others
make quite lengthy sojourns through different realms of Faerie, some
huge, and some relatively small.

Her "Wayward Children" definitely goes somewhere every time--though a
door into another universe that is Not Like Ours.
2020-06-07 04:24:20 UTC
Seanan McGuire's "October Daye" might be the sort of thing you want
if you're OK with Urban Fantasy. While she starts out in San
Francisco every time and some of the stories don't leave town, others
make quite lengthy sojourns through different realms of Faerie, some
huge, and some relatively small.
Her "Wayward Children" definitely goes somewhere every time--though a
door into another universe that is Not Like Ours.
Urban Fantasy usually isn't my thing, but I'll take a look at that.

Brian
2020-06-07 04:23:30 UTC
Post by Default User
I was hoping for a series somewhat like Jack McDevitt's Alex
Benedict/Chase Kolpath books, where they'd head off to new locations
each book and have a new adventure.
There are tons of books out there these days. Has anyone run across
something like that in a recent book or series? It doesn't have to
be artifact hunting, but some sort of visit to a new location and
investigate something or the other is what I'd be interest in.
Have you tried Dennis Taylor's awesome Bobiverse ?
https://www.amazon.com/We-Are-Legion-Bob-Bobiverse/dp/1680680587/
Or The Expanse ?
https://www.amazon.com/Leviathan-Wakes-James-S-Corey/dp/0316129089/
Are you just recommending series you enjoy? I don't think either of
those is much like what I described.

Brian
Lynn McGuire
2020-06-07 20:10:47 UTC
Post by Default User
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Default User
I was hoping for a series somewhat like Jack McDevitt's Alex
Benedict/Chase Kolpath books, where they'd head off to new locations
each book and have a new adventure.
There are tons of books out there these days. Has anyone run across
something like that in a recent book or series? It doesn't have to
be artifact hunting, but some sort of visit to a new location and
investigate something or the other is what I'd be interest in.
Have you tried Dennis Taylor's awesome Bobiverse ?
https://www.amazon.com/We-Are-Legion-Bob-Bobiverse/dp/1680680587/
Or The Expanse ?
https://www.amazon.com/Leviathan-Wakes-James-S-Corey/dp/0316129089/
Are you just recommending series you enjoy? I don't think either of
those is much like what I described.
Brian
Both of them are constantly moving around their various universes as you
requested. In fact, many places simultaneously.