YASID: force field space suits on planet Venus, "Reynolds-wrap River"
Nyrath
2018-07-11 16:43:30 UTC
I read this short story sometime in the 1980s, I think.

The protagonists are camping on the planet Venus, with the incredibly high temperature and crushing pressure. They use force field bubbles as space suits and camping tents.

I remember one of them mentioning the "Reynolds-wrap River" nearby, a river of molten aluminum.

IIRC at one point they travel using a sort of bicycle powered dirigible, which is also sheathed in a skin-tight force field bubble.

Does this sound familiar?
James Nicoll
2018-07-11 16:44:03 UTC
Post by Nyrath
I read this short story sometime in the 1980s, I think.
The protagonists are camping on the planet Venus, with the incredibly
high temperature and crushing pressure. They use force field bubbles as
space suits and camping tents.
I remember one of them mentioning the "Reynolds-wrap River" nearby, a
river of molten aluminum.
IIRC at one point they travel using a sort of bicycle powered dirigible,
which is also sheathed in a skin-tight force field bubble.
Does this sound familiar?
John Varley, "In the Bowl"?
2018-07-11 17:09:28 UTC
Post by Nyrath
I read this short story sometime in the 1980s, I think.
The protagonists are camping on the planet Venus, with the incredibly
high temperature and crushing pressure. They use force field bubbles as
space suits and camping tents.
I remember one of them mentioning the "Reynolds-wrap River" nearby, a
river of molten aluminum.
IIRC at one point they travel using a sort of bicycle powered dirigible,
which is also sheathed in a skin-tight force field bubble.
Does this sound familiar?
John Varley, "In the Bowl"?
Definitely, "In the Bowl" (I just checked the original publicatioun in
the December 1975 issue of _F&SF_)
Robert Woodward ***@drizzle.com
Nyrath
2018-07-11 21:06:32 UTC