_Yesterday's Kin_ by Nancy Kress
2018-12-04 20:18:25 UTC
_Yesterday's Kin_ by Nancy Kress
https://www.amazon.com/Yesterdays-Kin-Nancy-Kress/dp/1616961759/

Book number one of a four book space opera alien contact series. For
some reason, Amazon has split the four book series into a prequel and a
trilogy. I read the somewhat weirdly printed and well bound trade
paperback. I have added the second book in the series to my Amazon
cart. I will purchase the other two books in the series when they move
into their trade paperback phase (if ever ?).

The Denebs arrived at Earth in a large space ship coming from the
direction of the Sun (is that possible ?) so they were not detected
until a couple of weeks before they arrived at Earth. They contacted us
and asked permission to put a floating Embassy in New York Harbor. We
allowed them to do so.

After several months of limited contact, they released the news that the
Solar System was flying into a huge cloud of dangerous viral spores in
ten months. A group of scientists was invited to the Embassy to see the
viral spores and participate in the experimentation with them to develop
a vaccination.

I liked Ms. Kress's story hooks. One was foreseeable, the other two
were not.

My rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 3.8 out of 5 stars (87 reviews)

2018-12-05 06:18:27 UTC
_Yesterday's Kin_ by Nancy Kress
https://www.amazon.com/Yesterdays-Kin-Nancy-Kress/dp/1616961759/
Book number one of a four book space opera alien contact series. For
some reason, Amazon has split the four book series into a prequel and a
trilogy. I read the somewhat weirdly printed and well bound trade
paperback. I have added the second book in the series to my Amazon
cart. I will purchase the other two books in the series when they move
into their trade paperback phase (if ever ?).
The Denebs arrived at Earth in a large space ship coming from the
direction of the Sun (is that possible ?)
Yes, if they came from the "opposite" side of the Sun and went around it
within about Mercury's orbit we likely would not see them until very
late in their approach.
Post by Lynn McGuire
so they were not detected
until a couple of weeks before they arrived at Earth. They contacted us
and asked permission to put a floating Embassy in New York Harbor. We
allowed them to do so.
After several months of limited contact, they released the news that the
Solar System was flying into a huge cloud of dangerous viral spores in
ten months. A group of scientists was invited to the Embassy to see the
viral spores and participate in the experimentation with them to develop
a vaccination.
I liked Ms. Kress's story hooks. One was foreseeable, the other two
were not.
My rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 3.8 out of 5 stars (87 reviews)
This is interesting because I just recently read the short story this
book is (apparently) an expansion of. The ending was a surprise and I
would be interested in hearing where she goes with the story. If she
does what I now suspect she will do I can understand it being labelled
as a trilogy and a prequel.
2018-12-05 18:35:30 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
But since the Deneb space ship required a couple of weeks to get from
the Sun to Earth, it's initial trajectory would be different than a
straight line to Earth. Unless, the Deneb space ship was continuously
changing its trajectory.

From what I see now, this book might be included in second book (the
first book in the trilogy) as the first "booklet". I will find out
soon. If so, I will be mildly annoyed. But not greatly annoyed.