Short youtube video = Dora's Song- Time Enough for Love, Robert Heinlein
a425couple
2020-04-05 19:47:40 UTC
A 32 second youtube video, some might enjoy.

Dora's Song- Time Enough for Love, Robert Heinlein
(There's a pawnshop on the corner melody)

D B Davis
2020-04-05 20:17:30 UTC
Post by a425couple
A 32 second youtube video, some might enjoy.
Dora's Song- Time Enough for Love, Robert Heinlein
(There's a pawnshop on the corner melody)
http://youtu.be/q_etE7_n-a8
The pawnshop on the corner melody's unknown to me. It's not my intention
to antagonize any alumni or others of UCB present in our little group,
but that melody sounds a lot like "Little Boxes" to me:

Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``.
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,.
2020-04-05 21:14:23 UTC
Post by D B Davis
Post by a425couple
A 32 second youtube video, some might enjoy.
Dora's Song- Time Enough for Love, Robert Heinlein
(There's a pawnshop on the corner melody)
http://youtu.be/q_etE7_n-a8
The pawnshop on the corner melody's unknown to me. It's not my intention
to antagonize any alumni or others of UCB present in our little group,
http://youtu.be/VUoXtddNPAM

Thank you,
"The "little boxes on the hillside" phrase is very similar to a bit of
the tune "Pittsburgh Pennsylvania" by Bob Merrill, which was a hit in
1952. It's best known as "There's a pawn shop, on the corner, in
Pittsburgh Pennsylvania". No accusation of theft to Malvina Reynolds
here, but she might have unknowingly lifted the tune. The lyrins (and
the rest of the tune) have nothing in common.
http://ntl.matrix.com.br/pfilho/html/lyrics/p/pittsburgh_pennsylvania.txt
I'm sorry but I can't find a good file of the tune online, if you scroll
down this Amazon link you can hear a tiny bit:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Truly-Fair-Recordings-1950-1953/dp/B0001JSS1I.Saxophobia
00:27, 17 December 2006 (UTC)

One similar line does not seem notable to me. I just removed a
claim on the page that the songs shared the same melody. I could find no
source for such a claim, and the clip on Amazon sounds pretty different
to me. —MJBurrage • TALK • 14:14, 12 October 2007 (UTC)"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Little_Boxes
Cybe R. Wizard
2020-04-06 03:48:46 UTC
On Mon, 6 Apr 2020 09:14:23 +1200
Post by Titus G
Post by D B Davis
Post by a425couple
[...]

Whole thing here:

--
Cybe R. Wizard

My other computer is a HOLMES IV with the Mycroft OS
My other car is a Chandler MetalSmith Mark III
Cybe R. Wizard
a425couple
2020-04-06 02:57:15 UTC
Post by D B Davis
Post by a425couple
A 32 second youtube video, some might enjoy.
Dora's Song- Time Enough for Love, Robert Heinlein
(There's a pawnshop on the corner melody)
http://youtu.be/q_etE7_n-a8
The pawnshop on the corner melody's unknown to me. It's not my intention
to antagonize any alumni or others of UCB present in our little group,
http://youtu.be/VUoXtddNPAM

Thank you,
Well, certainly on my part, I'm sure not 'antagonized'.
I'm willing to hear anyone's thoughts on the proper tunes.
Actually, I'm not sure how often Heinlein had a particular
tune in mind.
(later, if bored, or encouraged, I'll provide some other
youtube versions of his songs.)

Anyway, do you read music?
Because if you have "Time Enough For Love", right after
the table of contents, is shows 7 lines of written music.

Shucks, I thought I had a short cut workaround.
But at
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004IYITXE/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1
It has a "look inside" feature, but that has all
the words, but not the lines of music.
D B Davis
2020-04-06 04:24:07 UTC
Post by a425couple
Post by D B Davis
Post by a425couple
[...]
All seven of those pieces are in C major, the easiest key for pianists
to play because you only need to use the white keys. The melodies never
stray from a C major chord, which is almost as easy to play as the "One
Note Samba." The sixth tune is the first four measures of "Taps." [6]
The first tune sounds similar to "Reveille." The last bar of the third
tune is the first bar of "Bolero" [2] transposed to C major.

None of the seven songs sound similar to "Pawnshop on the Corner." Does
"Dora's Song" actually appear in the novel, or did the Youtube lassie
write her own lyrics?

Note.

[2] http://static.lulu.com/browse/product_thumbnail.php?productId=22396412&resolution=320

Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``.
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,.
2020-04-06 04:45:16 UTC
My recollection is that there are several places where fragments of lyrics are shown, I'm not sure if there's anywhere that the entire song appears
a425couple
2020-04-06 16:54:04 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by D B Davis
None of the seven songs sound similar to "Pawnshop on the Corner." Does
"Dora's Song" actually appear in the novel, or did the Youtube lassie
write her own lyrics?
My recollection is that there are several places where fragments of lyrics are shown, I'm not sure if there's anywhere that the entire song appears
My recollection is he has done that in various books and stories.

On page 344 of my book "Time Enough for Love" (printed 1984 ??)
(As Dora is passing away, Lazarus sings --)

"There's a schoolhouse
By the pawnshop
Where Dora has her lessons,

By the schoolhouse
There's a mule yard
Where Dora's friend Buck lives"
J. Clarke
2020-04-06 22:06:02 UTC
Post by D B Davis
Post by a425couple
Post by D B Davis
Post by a425couple
[...]
[1] https://allisyar.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/taps-sheet-music.jpg
[2] http://static.lulu.com/browse/product_thumbnail.php?productId=22396412&resolution=320
Personally for some reason I always imagined it with the tune of the
Volga Boatman.

a425couple
2020-04-06 15:16:16 UTC
Post by a425couple
Post by D B Davis
Post by a425couple
A 32 second youtube video, some might enjoy.
Dora's Song- Time Enough for Love, Robert Heinlein
   (There's a pawnshop on the corner melody)
http://youtu.be/q_etE7_n-a8
The pawnshop on the corner melody's unknown to me. It's not my intention
to antagonize any alumni or others of UCB present in our little group,
http://youtu.be/VUoXtddNPAM

Thank you,
Well, certainly on my part, I'm sure not 'antagonized'.
I'm willing to hear anyone's thoughts on the proper tunes.
Actually, I'm not sure how often Heinlein had a particular
tune in mind.
(later, if bored, or encouraged, I'll provide some other
youtube versions of his songs.)
Here are some youtube displays of people singing
songs about Heinlein's "The Green Hills of Earth"

"The Green Hills of Earth" at FKO 2016

Here is another version done with 2 men
Green Hills of Earth (3:09)

Here are the lyrics, from Heinlein's works:

The arching sky is calling
Spacemen back to their trade.
ALL HANDS! STAND BY! FREE FALLING!
And the lights below us fade.

[Chorus:] We pray for one last landing
On the globe that gave us birth;
Let us rest our eyes on the fleecy skies
And the cool, green hills of Earth.

Out ride the sons of Terra,
Far drives the thundering jet,
Up leaps a race of Earthmen,
Out, far, and onward yet

And here is another version - a female solo
with no picture video