Turkeys In Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace!
2019-11-26 05:26:32 UTC
https://www.gocomics.com/brewsterrockit/2019/11/24

Cooking tip: A turkey with ablative basting can be thoroughly cooked
via deorbital re-entry without the need for defrosting.
2019-11-26 13:50:33 UTC
https://www.gocomics.com/brewsterrockit/2019/11/24
Cooking tip: A turkey with ablative basting can be thoroughly cooked
via deorbital re-entry without the need for defrosting.
There's always Jamie and Adam's thanksgiving dinner cooked
in the engine compartment on the way to Grandma's house.
Dorothy J Heydt
2019-11-26 16:00:47 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
https://www.gocomics.com/brewsterrockit/2019/11/24
Cooking tip: A turkey with ablative basting can be thoroughly cooked
via deorbital re-entry without the need for defrosting.
There's always Jamie and Adam's thanksgiving dinner cooked
in the engine compartment on the way to Grandma's house.
Indeed; only AFAIK they weren't headed to Grandma's house but to
a hall somewhere in Marin County. And don't forget they had
Alton Brown with them.

Everything turned out great, except the gravy didn't thicken, so
they renamed it soup and it was fine.
2019-11-26 16:24:57 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
https://www.gocomics.com/brewsterrockit/2019/11/24
Cooking tip: A turkey with ablative basting can be thoroughly cooked
via deorbital re-entry without the need for defrosting.
There's always Jamie and Adam's thanksgiving dinner cooked
in the engine compartment on the way to Grandma's house.
Indeed; only AFAIK they weren't headed to Grandma's house but to
a hall somewhere in Marin County. And don't forget they had
Alton Brown with them.
Everything turned out great, except the gravy didn't thicken, so
they renamed it soup and it was fine.
Yet another thing you can't do in an electric car :-). (Although I
suppose you could plug in an electric oven in the bed of the new
Tesla pickup truck using its 240VAC outlet with some range loss).
Harold Hill
2019-11-27 14:16:12 UTC
--
<ob xkcd/what-if>
https://what-if.xkcd.com/28/

"As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."
-Harold Hill
Scott Lurndal
Oh, the humanity.
Lynn McGuire
2019-11-27 19:03:28 UTC
Post by Harold Hill
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
https://www.gocomics.com/brewsterrockit/2019/11/24
Cooking tip: A turkey with ablative basting can be thoroughly cooked
via deorbital re-entry without the need for defrosting.
--
<ob xkcd/what-if>
https://what-if.xkcd.com/28/
"As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."
That is one of the funniest moments in TV. And they did not even show
the turkeys trying to fly out of the helicopter.

2019-11-27 19:31:44 UTC
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
https://www.gocomics.com/brewsterrockit/2019/11/24
Cooking tip: A turkey with ablative basting can be thoroughly cooked
via deorbital re-entry without the need for defrosting.
--
<ob xkcd/what-if>
https://what-if.xkcd.com/28/
"As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."
That is one of the funniest moments in TV. And they did not even show
the turkeys trying to fly out of the helicopter.
"Moo Goo Gai Pan!"
You got me, I have no idea.

2019-11-27 19:48:01 UTC
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x57sua2
I think Newhart is an acquired tasted that I never managed to acquire.
Kevrob
2019-11-27 22:16:16 UTC
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
https://www.gocomics.com/brewsterrockit/2019/11/24
Cooking tip: A turkey with ablative basting can be thoroughly cooked
via deorbital re-entry without the need for defrosting.
--
<ob xkcd/what-if>
https://what-if.xkcd.com/28/
"As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."
That is one of the funniest moments in TV. And they did not even show
the turkeys trying to fly out of the helicopter.
"Moo Goo Gai Pan!"
You got me, I have no idea.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x57sua2
I think Newhart is an acquired tasted that I never managed to acquire.
"The Buttoned Down Mind..." was a classic.

Also, Suzanne Pleshette (rowr!!!!) and Mary Fran!

It's good to be a TV star, isn't it?

2019-11-28 00:00:07 UTC
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
https://www.gocomics.com/brewsterrockit/2019/11/24
Cooking tip: A turkey with ablative basting can be thoroughly cooked
via deorbital re-entry without the need for defrosting.
--
<ob xkcd/what-if>
https://what-if.xkcd.com/28/
"As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."
That is one of the funniest moments in TV. And they did not even show
the turkeys trying to fly out of the helicopter.
"Moo Goo Gai Pan!"
You got me, I have no idea.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x57sua2
I tried to look at that, and got an ad for something called Sam's
Club, and when I tried to skip it, got a link that said "Learn
More."

Could you explain your reference in, say, a couple of sentences?
2019-11-28 00:32:55 UTC
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
https://www.gocomics.com/brewsterrockit/2019/11/24
Cooking tip: A turkey with ablative basting can be thoroughly cooked
via deorbital re-entry without the need for defrosting.
--
<ob xkcd/what-if>
https://what-if.xkcd.com/28/
"As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."
That is one of the funniest moments in TV. And they did not even show
the turkeys trying to fly out of the helicopter.
"Moo Goo Gai Pan!"
You got me, I have no idea.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x57sua2
I tried to look at that, and got an ad for something called Sam's
Club, and when I tried to skip it, got a link that said "Learn
More."
Could you explain your reference in, say, a couple of sentences?
Bob Newhart (Dr. Robert Hartley) somehow ends up spending Thanksgiving
in his apartment with Howard, Jerry and Mr. Carlin (one of his
analysis patients) rather than with his wife and family.

The four men get drunk and Hartley attempts to order Chinese delivery
in a typical Newhart one-sided phone conversation. He has a lot of
trouble with "Moo Goo Gai Pan".

The dailymotion link is to the whole episode, which the PTB seem to have
done a good job keeping off of youtube (the only reason I ever go to
dailymotion..), but here's a YT clip of the actual phonecall

It's much funnier in context though. You might try quitting and restarting
your browser and hitting dailymotion again.

Anyway here are two plot summaries:

https://jokeronthesofa.com/2018/02/14/33-over-the-river-and-through-the-woods-the-bob-newhart-show/

http://holidayfilmreviews.blogspot.com/2015/11/the-bob-newhart-show-over-river-and.html
2019-11-28 00:46:05 UTC
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
https://www.gocomics.com/brewsterrockit/2019/11/24
Cooking tip: A turkey with ablative basting can be thoroughly cooked
via deorbital re-entry without the need for defrosting.
--
<ob xkcd/what-if>
https://what-if.xkcd.com/28/
"As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."
That is one of the funniest moments in TV. And they did not even show
the turkeys trying to fly out of the helicopter.
"Moo Goo Gai Pan!"
You got me, I have no idea.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x57sua2
I tried to look at that, and got an ad for something called Sam's
Club, and when I tried to skip it, got a link that said "Learn
More."
Could you explain your reference in, say, a couple of sentences?
I got an ad and then a full episode of the Bob Newhart Show, a small
part of it is a supposedly drunken Newhart ordering Chinese food.
Kevrob
2019-11-28 00:52:08 UTC
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
https://www.gocomics.com/brewsterrockit/2019/11/24
Cooking tip: A turkey with ablative basting can be thoroughly cooked
via deorbital re-entry without the need for defrosting.
--
<ob xkcd/what-if>
https://what-if.xkcd.com/28/
"As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."
That is one of the funniest moments in TV. And they did not even show
the turkeys trying to fly out of the helicopter.
"Moo Goo Gai Pan!"
You got me, I have no idea.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x57sua2
I tried to look at that, and got an ad for something called Sam's
Club, and when I tried to skip it, got a link that said "Learn
More."
Could you explain your reference in, say, a couple of sentences?
An AV Club recap is available,if you can't get the video to go.
If you subscribe to Hulu, they have it.

[This is really long]

https://tv.avclub.com/the-bob-newhart-show-gets-smashed-for-thanksgiving-1798241899

TL:DR

Guys who are not able to be with their families for Thanksgiving
try to cook, fail, get drunk, order Chinese Food.

Hilarity ensues.

Also, Dr Hartley loves his wife immensely, as who wouldn't:
she's Suzanne *frakkin'* Pleshette!

2019-11-28 01:06:47 UTC
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
[...]
If you say so.
Post by Kevrob
she's Suzanne *frakkin'* Pleshette!
Hmm. Checked Wikipedia and confirmed my vague impression that I
had seen her in _The Power_ (1968). But I hardly noticed her; I
was too busy looking at Michael Rennie.
2019-11-28 03:54:42 UTC
Post by Kevrob
she's Suzanne *frakkin'* Pleshette!
Hmm. Checked Wikipedia and confirmed my vague impression that I
had seen her in _The Power_ (1968). But I hardly noticed her; I
was too busy looking at Michael Rennie.
If I were you, I'd have done the same,iimagine/

SP had that deadly combination: the ability to play smart AND sexy.
She was also funny as hell. She got pecked to death in Hitchcock's
"The Birds," which wasn't so funny.

2019-11-28 04:06:39 UTC
Post by Kevrob
she's Suzanne *frakkin'* Pleshette!
Hmm. Checked Wikipedia and confirmed my vague impression that I
had seen her in _The Power_ (1968). But I hardly noticed her; I
was too busy looking at Michael Rennie.
If I were you, I'd have done the same,iimagine/
SP had that deadly combination: the ability to play smart AND sexy.
She was also funny as hell. She got pecked to death in Hitchcock's
"The Birds," which wasn't so funny.
I first noticed her in "Wings of Fire", a 1967 TV movie. I would have
been 13 or 14. Suzanne Pleshette flying a P-51 was, well, adolescent
fantasies don't get much better.

Note--if you're looking for information on the movie, the IMDB entry
seems to be badly garbled--Wikipedia matches my recollection.
Scott Lurndal
2019-11-29 19:05:35 UTC
she's Suzanne *frakkin'* Pleshette!
Hmm. Checked Wikipedia and confirmed my vague impression that I
had seen her in _The Power_ (1968). But I hardly noticed her; I
was too busy looking at Michael Rennie.
If I were you, I'd have done the same,iimagine/
SP had that deadly combination: the ability to play smart AND sexy.
She was also funny as hell. She got pecked to death in Hitchcock's
"The Birds," which wasn't so funny.
I first noticed her in "Wings of Fire", a 1967 TV movie. I would have
been 13 or 14. Suzanne Pleshette flying a P-51 was, well, adolescent
fantasies don't get much better.
First thing that jumps to mind is the movie Hot Stuff with Suzanne and Dom DeLuise.

Second thing is the last few minutes of the second Bob Newhart show finale. Best
finale ever.

Quadibloc
2019-11-27 20:26:10 UTC
https://www.gocomics.com/brewsterrockit/2019/11/24
Cooking tip: A turkey with ablative basting can be thoroughly cooked
via deorbital re-entry without the need for defrosting.
I think this turkey was just microwaved. But the cartoon seems to be about Trump.