A Thanksgiving Story
Add Reply
p***@hotmail.com
2019-11-28 07:03:33 UTC
This happened when I was driving for the now defunct Old Capitol Cab Co. in
Iowa City. They were notorious for having the junkiest and worst maintained
fleet in the city; a joke was that the owners were thinking of retro-fitting
the cars with diesel engines so that they would burn less oil.

Just before Thanksgiving the dispatcher sent me to a residential area near
City High to take someone to Enterprise Car Rental on the south edge of town.
The passenger was a middle-aged woman; in conversion she mentioned that
she was on the way to a family gathering in Pennsylvania, I think it was, when
her car broke down. As it happened, she had friends in Iowa City where she had
stayed overnight, and would now continue her trip by rental car. She had the
usual luggage and also two large pumpkins; her family made pumpkin pie from
scratch and she had been tasked with bringing the raw materials.

We reached the Enterprise Rental office and each of us brought some of her gear
inside. They already had the forms ready for her to fill out, so I told her to
go ahead and start on the paperwork while I brought in the rest of her stuff.
It took several trips. On my last trip I was carrying just the larger of the
two pumpkins. I brought it over to the counter, where my passenger was still
working on the forms, and said to her, “You know, you really have to get these
rental cars back before midnight.”

A happy thanksgiving to all!

Peter Wezeman
Anti-social Darwinist