Like the Coming Ice Age
2019-06-11 11:10:09 UTC
One of the long-term consequences of global warming is a rise in sea level.

However, I just saw this article about how the ocean is being swallowed up by the
Earth's mantle!

https://www.livescience.com/65678-deep-water-cycle-sinking-ocean.html?utm_source=ls-newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20190610-ls

But the article notes this won't save us from global warming, because the fall in
sea level from it is on the order of 1/10,000 of the rise from melting glaciers.

If it's that small an effect, why does the article imply we're all doomed because
the oceans are going dry?

Still, though, it might doom us well before the Sun leaves the Main Sequence.

Because you can't interpret what a actual humans are writing?
Dorothy J Heydt
2019-06-11 12:55:17 UTC
One of the long-term consequences of global warming is a rise in sea level.
However, I just saw this article about how the ocean is being swallowed up by the
Earth's mantle!
https://www.livescience.com/65678-deep-water-cycle-sinking-ocean.html?utm_source=ls-newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20190610-ls
But the article notes this won't save us from global warming, because the fall in
sea level from it is on the order of 1/10,000 of the rise from melting glaciers.
If it's that small an effect, why does the article imply we're all doomed because
the oceans are going dry?
Because it's a stupid article.
Mike Van Pelt
2019-06-11 19:02:50 UTC
If it's that small an effect, why does the article imply we're
all doomed because the oceans are going dry?
Because **DOOOOOOM!!!** gets clicks.

click click click click click.

Oh, how the money rolls in!

(Oooh, I feel a filk of that song coming on...)
--
Mike Van Pelt | "I don't advise it unless you're nuts."
mvp at calweb.com | -- Ray Wilkinson, after riding out Hurricane
KE6BVH | Ike on Surfside Beach in Galveston
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2019-06-11 19:16:52 UTC
Post by Mike Van Pelt
Post by Quadibloc
If it's that small an effect, why does the article imply we're
all doomed because the oceans are going dry?
Because **DOOOOOOM!!!** gets clicks.
Nah, it's just another doombot!
2019-06-11 20:20:34 UTC
Post by Mike Van Pelt
Post by Quadibloc
If it's that small an effect, why does the article imply we're
all doomed because the oceans are going dry?
Because **DOOOOOOM!!!** gets clicks.
Nah, it's just another doombot!

SFW, but will get you some odd looks. Sound required.

2019-06-11 20:53:14 UTC
One of the long-term consequences of global warming is a rise in sea level.
However, I just saw this article about how the ocean is being swallowed up by the
Earth's mantle!
https://www.livescience.com/65678-deep-water-cycle-sinking-ocean.html?utm_source=ls-newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20190610-ls
But the article notes this won't save us from global warming, because the fall in
sea level from it is on the order of 1/10,000 of the rise from melting glaciers.
If it's that small an effect, why does the article imply we're all doomed because
the oceans are going dry?
Still, though, it might doom us well before the Sun leaves the Main Sequence.
John Savard
How convenient that this came out today !
https://comicallyincorrect.com/a-f-branco-cartoon-inconvenient-glaciers/