After the Galaxy: The Unsung by Scott Bartlet
2020-01-27 21:30:14 UTC
Transhumanist space opera. In a galaxy mostly depopulated by everyone
uploading themselves into computers the protagonist is a meatspace
captain of a ship whose basic job is to protect the computers. Although
really partway through it's revealed that all life has been infected by
networked nanotechnology and he meets a phantom who basically lives in
that network rather than the computers, and he's a member of a group
that calls itself "The Knights of Shiva" who eschew using the routine
targeting software because they think it's immoral to let automatic
functions take over killing people. And he's reluctant to train our
hero because our hero is too angry... And he wants to restore balance
to the galaxy...

...he's a Jedi Force ghost. F*** me sideways, this is hardish Star
Wars. Seriously? That kind of snuck up on me.
-dsr-
2020-01-30 14:36:22 UTC
Transhumanist space opera. In a galaxy mostly depopulated by everyone
uploading themselves into computers the protagonist is a meatspace
captain of a ship whose basic job is to protect the computers. Although
really partway through it's revealed that all life has been infected by
networked nanotechnology and he meets a phantom who basically lives in
that network rather than the computers, and he's a member of a group
that calls itself "The Knights of Shiva" who eschew using the routine
targeting software because they think it's immoral to let automatic
functions take over killing people. And he's reluctant to train our
hero because our hero is too angry... And he wants to restore balance
to the galaxy...
But is the author a good storyteller?

-dsr-
David Johnston