RIP Mort Drucker
2020-04-10 05:02:58 UTC
nypost.com/2020/04/09/mort-drucker-legendary-mad-magazine-artist-dies-at-91/

Longtime cartoonist Mort Drucker has passed. I (and perhaps most) knew him
mainly through his work for "Mad" magazine, where he drew many spot-on
movie & TV parodies which, to make this on-topic, included this classic
musical parody of "Star Trek TOS" (The Only Series at the time..)

http://mystartrekscrapbook.blogspot.com/2008/11/1976-mad-star-trek-spoof.html

The images are all clickable for full size.

"Beam Down to Pinkus West, My Friends,
Beam Down to Pinkus West.."
2020-04-10 09:52:40 UTC
Longtime cartoonist Mort Drucker has passed. I (and perhaps most) knew him
mainly through his work for "Mad" magazine, where he drew many spot-on
movie & TV parodies
When I first read this, I had confused him with another cartoonist with a somewhat
similar name, best known for the comic strips Beetle Bailey and Hi and Lois - Mort
Walker.

But I certainly did fondly remember Mort Drucker's work in MAD magazine!

John Savard
Chrysi Cat
2020-04-10 10:20:43 UTC
Longtime cartoonist Mort Drucker has passed. I (and perhaps most) knew him
mainly through his work for "Mad" magazine, where he drew many spot-on
movie & TV parodies
When I first read this, I had confused him with another cartoonist with a somewhat
similar name, best known for the comic strips Beetle Bailey and Hi and Lois - Mort
Walker.
But I certainly did fondly remember Mort Drucker's work in MAD magazine!
John Savard
The other guy lasted a long time too; I think it was about this time
LAST year that he passed.

Must be terrible when you outlive everyone you EVER worked alongside
like that.
--
Chrysi Cat
Transgoddess, quick to anger.
2020-04-10 12:29:24 UTC
Post by Chrysi Cat
Longtime cartoonist Mort Drucker has passed. I (and perhaps most) knew him
mainly through his work for "Mad" magazine, where he drew many spot-on
movie & TV parodies
When I first read this, I had confused him with another cartoonist with a somewhat
similar name, best known for the comic strips Beetle Bailey and Hi and Lois - Mort
Walker.
But I certainly did fondly remember Mort Drucker's work in MAD magazine!
John Savard
The other guy lasted a long time too; I think it was about this time
LAST year that he passed.
Must be terrible when you outlive everyone you EVER worked alongside
like that.
I posted a link to the AP's story in the dc.comics group.

https://apnews.com/f056b3dd4063745abd112e2192bef3b9

What struck me is how many of Drucker's satiric "targets"
relished being parodied in MAD. From that story:

[quote]

Being drawn by Drucker became a kind of show business rite of
passage, with Michael J. Fox once telling Johnny Carson that he
knew he had made it when he appeared in a Drucker cartoon.

[/quote]