The City We Became (Great Cities, book 1) by N. K. Jemisin
2020-04-04 15:53:51 UTC
The City We Became (Great Cities, book 1) by N. K. Jemisin
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/a-city-that-doesnt-sleep
2020-04-04 16:38:18 UTC
The City We Became (Great Cities, book 1) by N. K. Jemisin
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/a-city-that-doesnt-sleep
Your review fills me with déjà vu. Beings _Became_'s birthdate was but
mere days ago [1], the Shirley suggested by you seems a sensible source
for my feelings.

Stu Cole is struggling to keep his nightclub, Club Anesthesia,
afloat in the face of mob harassment when he's visited by a
manifestation of the city of San Francisco, crystallized into
a single enigmatic being. This amoral superhero leads him on
a terrifying journey through the rock and roll demimonde as
they struggle to save the city. [2]

Speaking of anesthesia, "its discovery represents a totally American
contribution to medicine." [3] "Under the guise of protecting teeth, the
Manhattan Project set about obtaining data on long-term fluoride
exposure." [4] Fluroxene was conincidentally introduced into anesthetics
in 1954 and later withdrawn due to its flammability and toxicity.

Note.

[1] https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/42074525-the-city-we-became
[2] https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1123715.City_Come_a_Walkin_
[3] Greene NM. Anesthesia and the development of surgery (1846-1896).
Anesth Analg 1979;58:5-12.
[4] https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2020/04/why-fluoride-water/606784/

Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``.
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,.
2020-04-04 20:45:14 UTC
Post by D B Davis
Post by James Nicoll
The City We Became (Great Cities, book 1) by N. K. Jemisin
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/a-city-that-doesnt-sleep
Your review fills me with déjà vu. Beings _Became_'s birthdate was but
mere days ago [1], the Shirley suggested by you seems a sensible source
for my feelings.
Well, it's spun out of a story James made us old people read about two years ago. (I say made, but looking on his page, I see a number of new SFF that I don't think he advertised in this group.)

As I don't think I said about that story, it's exciting, and energizing, and fun -- for the avatar, but what does it mean? Is there any special determining factor about the cities that ascend and those that haven't? I suspected there wasn't an answer, and I suspect we don't get one in the novel.
-Jack
Titus G
2020-04-04 22:30:27 UTC
Post by Jack Bohn
Post by D B Davis
Post by James Nicoll
The City We Became (Great Cities, book 1) by N. K. Jemisin
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/a-city-that-doesnt-sleep
Your review fills me with déjà vu. Beings _Became_'s birthdate was but
mere days ago [1], the Shirley suggested by you seems a sensible source
for my feelings.
Well, it's spun out of a story James made us old people read about two years ago. (I say made, but looking on his page, I see a number of new SFF that I don't think he advertised in this group.)
Although The Fifth Season was a four star read, I gave the short story,
The City Born Great only one.
Post by Jack Bohn
As I don't think I said about that story, it's exciting, and energizing, and fun -- for the avatar, but what does it mean? Is there any special determining factor about the cities that ascend and those that haven't? I suspected there wasn't an answer, and I suspect we don't get one in the novel.
The review covers several aspects that affect ascension but I won't be
reading this one.