[tot dot com] Adventures in Retail! SFF Stories Set in Department Stores
2019-11-08 15:22:36 UTC
Adventures in Retail! SFF Stories Set in Department Stores

https://www.tor.com/2019/11/08/adventures-in-retail-sff-stories-set-in-department-stores/
2019-11-08 15:58:33 UTC
Adventures in Retail! SFF Stories Set in Department Stores
https://www.tor.com/2019/11/08/adventures-in-retail-sff-stories-set-in-department-stores/
I remember a short story in which the mannequins come to life at night
and of course things turn out poorly for the poor fool who learns the
secret. I found it uninteresting. How was the Smith story SF?
Gene Wirchenko
2019-11-13 00:57:18 UTC
On Fri, 8 Nov 2019 08:58:33 -0700, David Johnston
Adventures in Retail! SFF Stories Set in Department Stores
https://www.tor.com/2019/11/08/adventures-in-retail-sff-stories-set-in-department-stores/
I remember a short story in which the mannequins come to life at night
and of course things turn out poorly for the poor fool who learns the
secret. I found it uninteresting. How was the Smith story SF?
There was a _The Twilight Zone_ episode.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
p***@hotmail.com
2019-11-13 04:23:31 UTC
Post by Gene Wirchenko
On Fri, 8 Nov 2019 08:58:33 -0700, David Johnston
Adventures in Retail! SFF Stories Set in Department Stores
https://www.tor.com/2019/11/08/adventures-in-retail-sff-stories-set-in-department-stores/
I remember a short story in which the mannequins come to life at night
and of course things turn out poorly for the poor fool who learns the
secret. I found it uninteresting. How was the Smith story SF?
There was a _The Twilight Zone_ episode.
I read in an interview with Anne Francis that she got to keep the mannequin.

Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2019-11-13 04:58:03 UTC
Post by Gene Wirchenko
Post by David Johnston
I remember a short story in which the mannequins come to life at night
and of course things turn out poorly for the poor fool who learns the
secret. I found it uninteresting. How was the Smith story SF?
There was a _The Twilight Zone_ episode.
I read in an interview with Anne Francis that she got to keep the mannequin.
On a similar theme is the classic Bob Clampett Looney Tune, "Book Revue".

Unfortunately, Warner has pretty much been successful in keeping their
shorts off of youtube, so it's only on the glitchy and much inferior
"Daily Motion", but:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5ycz8i
2019-11-13 12:39:52 UTC
Post by Gene Wirchenko
Post by David Johnston
I remember a short story in which the mannequins come to life at night
and of course things turn out poorly for the poor fool who learns the
secret. I found it uninteresting. How was the Smith story SF?
There was a _The Twilight Zone_ episode.
I read in an interview with Anne Francis that she got to keep the mannequin.
On a similar theme is the classic Bob Clampett Looney Tune, "Book Revue".
Unfortunately, Warner has pretty much been successful in keeping their
shorts off of youtube, so it's only on the glitchy and much inferior
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5ycz8i
WB did a few of those. Compare to "Goofy Groceries."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goofy_Groceries

https://vimeo.com/234207348

It has at least one shared gag. Also, an early "Superman"
parody!

Kevin R
b***@dontspam.silent.com
2019-11-08 20:01:43 UTC
Adventures in Retail! SFF Stories Set in Department Stores
https://www.tor.com/2019/11/08/adventures-in-retail-sff-stories-set-in-department-stores/
My favorite would be "Business as Usual, During Alterations" by Ralph
Williams, a short from Astounding.
William Hyde
2019-11-08 20:01:42 UTC
Adventures in Retail! SFF Stories Set in Department Stores
"It Could be You" by Frank Roberts is an SF story set largely in a department store, though the plot concerns a contest that our protagonist almost wins.

Published in Merril's tenth "Year's best SF" contest. Had I not seen the author's name I'd have guessed it was by Pohl, but Roberts was an Australian writer of whom I know nothing else.

William Hyde
Kevrob
2019-11-08 23:47:34 UTC
Post by William Hyde
Post by James Nicoll
Adventures in Retail! SFF Stories Set in Department Stores
"It Could be You" by Frank Roberts is an SF story set largely in a department store, though the plot concerns a contest that our protagonist almost wins.
Published in Merril's tenth "Year's best SF" contest. Had I not seen the author's name I'd have guessed it was by Pohl, but Roberts was an Australian writer of whom I know nothing else.
William Hyde
S J Perelman co-wrote the book to a Broadway show:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Touch_of_Venus

Hollywood filmed it, and used a department store setting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Touch_of_Venus_(film)

In the 80s later, a /s/w/i/p/e/ homage was filmed, "Mannequin."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mannequin_(1987_film)

It may be a "bad movie," but a young Kim Catrall is delightful in it.

All of these seemed very ThorneSmithish to me, and TS
did get there first:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Life_of_the_Gods

...which JDN is familiar with, of course.

https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/like-a-mocking-kiss-on-the-cold-cheek-of-convention

I've loved Thorne Smith since I watched "Topper" reruns on TV,
the original Cary Grant film vehicle, and the sequels, as a kid.

Kevin R
Jerry Brown
2019-11-09 08:53:44 UTC
Adventures in Retail! SFF Stories Set in Department Stores
https://www.tor.com/2019/11/08/adventures-in-retail-sff-stories-set-in-department-stores/
There was a James White story where a department store security guy
works out that the reason for various odd events in the store are down
to an alien hiding out there. Can't recall the title, sorry.
--
Jerry Brown

A cat may look at a king
(but probably won't bother)
James Nicoll
Jerry Brown
2019-11-10 12:16:53 UTC
Post by Jerry Brown
Post by James Nicoll
Adventures in Retail! SFF Stories Set in Department Stores
https://www.tor.com/2019/11/08/adventures-in-retail-sff-stories-set-in-department-stores/
There was a James White story where a department store security guy
works out that the reason for various odd events in the store are down
to an alien hiding out there. Can't recall the title, sorry.
Counter Security.
Thanks!
--
Jerry Brown

A cat may look at a king
(but probably won't bother)
Joy Beeson
2019-11-10 04:32:12 UTC
Adventures in Retail! SFF Stories Set in Department Stores
https://www.tor.com/2019/11/08/adventures-in-retail-sff-stories-set-in-department-stores/
"James White’s 1963 novelette Counter Security" YASID answered before
I could ask it. I liked that story very much.
--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/
p. pinto
2019-11-16 14:20:32 UTC
- hi; "_truckers_", "_diggers_" & "_wings_" should get more than a mention. . .

- love, ppint.
--
'tis due to ppinqueans that set light
to nelson's hat
it glows at night
David DeLaney
2019-12-05 03:41:46 UTC
Adventures in Retail! SFF Stories Set in Department Stores
https://www.tor.com/2019/11/08/adventures-in-retail-sff-stories-set-
in-department-stores/

I couldn't remember who wrote the political/secretly-able-to-read story I was
remembering which was largely set in a department store. I first thought
George O. Smith, then James White... comment 64 pointed me, correctly, to
_Null-ABC_ by H. Beam piper, which I have because a whole heaping helping
of his work is on gutenberg.org .

Dave, autoYASIDing

ps: Does the Bazaar in Asprin's _Myth Directions_ series count? It's not walled
in...
2019-12-05 04:52:58 UTC
Adventures in Retail! SFF Stories Set in Department Stores
https://www.tor.com/2019/11/08/adventures-in-retail-sff-stories-set-
in-department-stores/
I couldn't remember who wrote the political/secretly-able-to-read story I was
remembering which was largely set in a department store. I first thought
George O. Smith, then James White... comment 64 pointed me, correctly, to
_Null-ABC_ by H. Beam piper, which I have because a whole heaping helping
of his work is on gutenberg.org .
Dave, autoYASIDing
ps: Does the Bazaar in Asprin's _Myth Directions_ series count? It's not walled
in...
Its also never really "closed"....
--
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?"