Space-X is crushing everyone, "A Picture Worth A Thousand Words"
2018-08-05 04:01:39 UTC
Space-X is crushing everyone, "A Picture Worth A Thousand Words"

http://raconteurreport.blogspot.com/2018/07/a-picture-worth-thousand-words.html

"Space-X, in six years, has CRUSHED everyone else, pushing China, Japan,
and most of everyone else but a small Russian ability, and the ESA,
completely out of the orbital launch market."

"Like to nearly the "Game Over" stage, for all commercial intents."

I had not realized that Space-X was that successful either. Cool !

2018-08-06 13:47:41 UTC
Space-X is crushing everyone, "A Picture Worth A Thousand Words"
http://raconteurreport.blogspot.com/2018/07/a-picture-worth-thousand-words.html
"Space-X, in six years, has CRUSHED everyone else, pushing China, Japan,
and most of everyone else but a small Russian ability, and the ESA,
completely out of the orbital launch market."
"Like to nearly the "Game Over" stage, for all commercial intents."
I had not realized that Space-X was that successful either. Cool !
Lynn
A more complete picture would include all launches. SpaceX is certainly
dominating commercial launch, but when you include non-commercial (military,
research, other government, its a different picture, with SpaceX down to about
20%.

http://spaceflight101.com/2017-space-launch-statistics/

...not to say that won't change in the future.

2018-08-06 19:24:09 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Lynn McGuire
Space-X is crushing everyone, "A Picture Worth A Thousand Words"
http://raconteurreport.blogspot.com/2018/07/a-picture-worth-thousand-words.html
"Space-X, in six years, has CRUSHED everyone else, pushing China, Japan,
and most of everyone else but a small Russian ability, and the ESA,
completely out of the orbital launch market."
"Like to nearly the "Game Over" stage, for all commercial intents."
I had not realized that Space-X was that successful either. Cool !
Lynn
A more complete picture would include all launches. SpaceX is certainly
dominating commercial launch, but when you include non-commercial (military,
research, other government, its a different picture, with SpaceX down to about
20%.
http://spaceflight101.com/2017-space-launch-statistics/
...not to say that won't change in the future.
pt
Given that Space-X is getting ready to launch their NEO satellite
internet with 4,000+ satellites, I would say that the commercial aspect
is very important.

"Why Satellite Internet Is the New Space Race"

https://www.pcmag.com/article/362695/why-satellite-internet-is-the-new-space-race

2018-08-07 01:15:34 UTC
On Mon, 6 Aug 2018 14:24:09 -0500, Lynn McGuire
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
And government is going to eventually be forced to SpaceX--after a
while even the most boneheaded Congrescritter is going to figure out
that ULA and the like are working an obsolete model.
mimus99
2018-08-17 13:45:30 UTC
Space-X is crushing everyone, "A Picture Worth A Thousand Words"
http://raconteurreport.blogspot.com/2018/07/a-picture-worth-thousand-words.html
"Space-X, in six years, has CRUSHED everyone else, pushing China, Japan,
and most of everyone else but a small Russian ability, and the ESA,
completely out of the orbital launch market."
"Like to nearly the "Game Over" stage, for all commercial intents."
I had not realized that Space-X was that successful either. Cool !
I was under the impression that most of that was guvment money, although
the profits will all be private.

I wonder who'll end up owning the Sun? and charging for its light?
--
"It's the New Wye."
Ever since the transcontinental railroads.
Lynn McGuire

2018-08-18 01:55:18 UTC
Post by mimus99
Post by Lynn McGuire
Space-X is crushing everyone, "A Picture Worth A Thousand Words"
http://raconteurreport.blogspot.com/2018/07/a-picture-worth-thousand-words.html
"Space-X, in six years, has CRUSHED everyone else, pushing China, Japan,
and most of everyone else but a small Russian ability, and the ESA,
completely out of the orbital launch market."
"Like to nearly the "Game Over" stage, for all commercial intents."
I had not realized that Space-X was that successful either. Cool !
I was under the impression that most of that was guvment money, although
the profits will all be private.
That is apparently a common misconception. The government has been
rather stingy with SpaceX, being firmly in the pocket of Big Aerospace
which sees SpaceX as an upstart competitor.

Currently SpaceX has government contracts worth about 5.5 billion out
of a 12 billion dollar backlog, so less than half their business is
government. Note that having a contract worth 5.5 billion is not the
same as being given that amount--they have recieved some portion of it
but they won't get it all until they have launched everything the
government has contracted to have launched.